Do you have a sliding glass door? If so, you know it can be a hassle for your dog to get out and in. One of the best ways to solve this problem is by installing a dog door.
Dog doors come in a variety of styles and sizes, and you can easily find one that’s perfect for your home.
This blog post will explore the best dog door for sliding glass doors and how to choose the right one for your furry friend.
Table of Contents
What Is a Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door?
A dog door for a sliding glass door is a small door that is installed into the glass door itself. It allows your dog to come and go as they please without you having to open the door for them every time. Dog doors come in all different sizes to accommodate all different types and sizes of dogs.
You can even get them custom-made to fit your specific door. They are easy to install and can be a great way to give your dog some independence.
There are many different types of dog doors on the market, so you should be able to find one that fits both your needs and your budget.
Why Do You Need a Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door?
This isn’t too much of a problem if you have a doggy door and they can let themselves out. But if you have a sliding glass door, it can be a real pain.
That’s where a dog door for sliding glass doors comes in. A dog door gives your pup the freedom to come and go as they please without making a fuss. And it can save you from having to constantly get up to let them in and out.
In addition to the obvious benefits, a dog door also helps to keep your home more energy-efficient. You can save money on your energy bills by keeping the heat or air conditioning from escaping.
Whether you’re looking for added convenience or just want to make life easier for your furry friend, a dog door for sliding glass door is a great option.
How To Choose The Right Dog Door For Sliding Glass Door?
Choosing the right dog door for your sliding glass door can be tricky. There are a few things you need to take into consideration, such as the size of your dog, the climate you live in, and the installation of the dog door. Before making any decision, consider the following things for a smooth process.
1. Size of your dog
The first thing you need to do is measure your dog and compare it to the dimensions of the door. You want to make sure that the door is big enough for your dog to comfortably get through.
2. Material of the door
Dog doors come in a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, and wood. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages.
For example, plastic doors are typically the most affordable option, but they are not as durable as metal doors. Metal doors are more durable, but they can be more expensive. Wood doors are very durable, but they can be the most expensive.
3. Installation process
Dog doors can be either permanent or temporary. A professional typically installs permanent doors and requires some type of modification to your home, such as cutting a hole in your door or wall. Temporary doors can be installed by anyone and do not require any modification to your home.
4. Weather conditions in your area
Dog doors are designed to keep out hot and cold air, but they will not work if they are not properly sealed. If you live in an area with extreme weather conditions, such as high winds or heavy rains, you will need to ensure that the door is properly sealed to keep out the elements.
5. Security of the door
Dog doors can be either manual or automatic. Manual doors require that you open and close them yourself, while automatic doors open and close on their own using sensors. Automatic doors are more secure because they cannot be left open accidentally.
6. Consider the warranty
Some dog doors come with a warranty, while others do not. If you are concerned about the door breaking or malfunctioning, you may want to choose a door that comes with a warranty.
Top 3 Best Dog Doors For Sliding Glass Doors
We understand how confusing it can be when it comes to choosing the right door for your fluffy friend. The more options you see, the more confusing it gets. To make things easier, we have shortlisted the top 3 best dog doors for sliding glass doors.
1. The Endura Flap Pet Door for Sliding Glass Doors
The Endura Flap Pet Door for Sliding Glass Doors is a great investment for pet owners. It gives your pet the freedom to come and go as they please, without you having to worry about them getting out or letting other animals in.
- ✔ FLAP SIZES… Multiple flap sizes: Small 6"w x 11"h; Medium 8"w x 15"h; Large 10"w x 19"h; and XL 12"w x 23"h. Small and Medium panels ship with a 3" stepover (adjustable to 5"). The Large and XL...
- ✔ SLIDER WIDTHS & HEIGHTS... All require a track at least 1" thick (thicker tracks may need shimming). The opening for people to use will be reduced by the following widths: Small flap panels 10...
- ✔ STRONG ALUMINIUM FRAME AND LoE GLASS… Magnetically sealed dual layer pet-safe flap, energy efficient LoE glass, and surrounded by heavy duty metal to be long-lasting and robust.
- ✔ AWARD-WINNING ENERGY EFFICIENCY… Our patio panel pet doors keep out the winter cold or the summer heat even in the harshest climates, and keeps those energy bills down
- ✔ IDEAL FOR RENTERS & VACATION HOMES … If you don’t want a permanent pet door, the Endura Flap Thermo Panel satisfies both needs; install or remove as desired
The flap is made of a durable, weather-resistant material that will keep your pet safe and dry, no matter what the weather is like outside.
The flap also has a magnetic seal that helps to keep out drafts, making it more energy-efficient than traditional pet doors. Not only does the Endura Flap Pet Door give your pet the freedom to come and go as they please, but it also provides peace of mind for you as a pet owner.
2. The Ideal Pet Products Designer Series Ruff-Weather Pet Door
Pets are a part of the family, and we want them to be safe, comfortable, and happy. That’s where the Ruff-Weather Pet Door comes to the rescue. This door is perfect for those chilly winter days or sweltering summer days when your pet needs to go in and out, but you don’t want to let all the heat or cold escape.
- Durable, energy-efficient all-weather pet door with inner telescoping frame
- Structural foam molded plastic frame with two vinyl flaps for maximum insulation
- Flap size is 15 inches x 23.5 inches, frame size is 19 inches x 28.125 inches and pet door cutout size is 16.25 inches x 25.75 inches
- Installs easily and securely - optional wall kit available and sold separately
- Manufacturer Warranty does not apply to product purchased through Amazon Warehouse, and any used product sellers
The door is made of sturdy aluminum and has a clear vinyl flap that provides a tight seal. The flap also has a magnetic closure that keeps the door shut when your pet isn’t using it. The Ruff-Weather Pet Door is easy to install and comes with all the necessary hardware.
Plus, it comes in Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large sizes so you can find the perfect fit for your pet. And because we know that style is important to you, the Ruff-Weather Pet Door is available in white, bronze, and silver, to match your interior decor.
3. The High Tech Pet Power Pet Fully Automatic Dog Door
The High Tech Pet Power Pet Fully Automatic Dog Door is one of the best on the market. It features a built-in timer that allows you to set when the door should open and close. This ensures that your dog can only come inside when you want them to.
- Motor driven vertically-sliding door is activated by MS-4 ultrasonic collar
- Directional sensing system opens the door only when your pet is on a direct approach, not when he is just wandering by or sleeping next to the door
- 4-way access control lets you select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed & Locked
- Wind and weatherproof with airtight seal; automatic deadbolt locking adds a level of security higher than any other pet door
- Panel size: 12-1/4 by 16-inch for pets up to 100-pound, Kindly refer user manual and instruction video for reference.
The Power Pet door is also an automatic dog door that opens when your pet approaches. It has a built-in sensor that can detect when your pet is near, and then it will open the door so they can come in or go out.
The door is also programmed to close after your pet has passed through, so you don’t have to worry about them getting back in. The Power Pet door is a great way to give your pet access to the outdoors without having to worry about them getting out at odd times.
Additionally, the door is made of durable materials and comes with a 1-year warranty. So if you’re looking for a high-quality pet door, the High Tech Pet Power Pet Fully Automatic Dog Door is a great option.
How Much Does a Dog Door Cost?
If you’re thinking about getting a dog door, you might be wondering how much it will cost. The good news is that dog doors are relatively inexpensive, and you can find one to suit your budget. The cost of a dog door will depend on the size, material, and features.
The most basic dog doors start at around $30, but you can pay up to $2500 for a large, electronically activated high-end model. If you want a dog door that is energy-efficient or has built-in security features, you can expect to pay more.
Having a doggy door is a dream come true for most dog parents. You won’t need to constantly monitor your dog to see whether he or she needs to go potty, and they can get in and out whenever they like.
Whichever type of dog door you choose, make sure that it is installed properly so that your pooch can safely use it!