Your guide to finding the healthiest and tastiest meal for your Labradoodle.
Dogs are indeed heaven-sent. They lighten up the darkest moments of your life just with their adorable gestures and funny moments. Out of such dogs, Labradoodles are one of the cutest breeds.
Labradoodles are, essentially, a crossbreed of Labrador Retriever and Poodles. Thus, having the elegance of a Poodle and strength of a Labrador.
These dogs also have a smooth, beautiful non-shedding coat that will make you want to cuddle the life out of them!
However, to do so, you need to protect your labradoodle’s fur by enriching his or her diet with only the best food.
To help you out, we have found some excellent dog food, especially for your four-legged sweetheart!
So, read on and find the best dog food for Labradoodles.
Table of Contents
How Can a Good Diet Help Your Labradoodle?
Before we talk about what kind of diet you should give your dog, we need to talk about why you need a healthy diet for him or her.
For Keeping Up Their Spirits!
Labradoodles, as well as the other dog breeds, are always running and jumping around actively. This is the one thing that can liven up your home and life.
So, to keep them like that always, you need to feed them healthy food. An inadequate diet can affect your Labradoodles brain and body – making them feel exhausted. Mental lethargy is as severe as physical tiredness.
On the other hand, a healthy diet with delicious taste can keep your baby happy and Paw-sitive!
For Keeping Their Coat Healthy
One of the best features of Labradoodles is their non-shedding fur. A healthy diet can ensure that their fur coats remain super soft and luscious, so you can always fawn over them.
For Their Metabolism
Metabolism is an essential factor when it comes to the growth and activity of your dog. An insufficient meal can leave him or her malnourished and inactive throughout the day.
On the other hand, unhealthy meals can develop obesity and other related problems. This can make your Labradoodle lazy and tired all day long.
Low metabolism can also cause other problems like hypothyroidism. So, it is crucial to see that the meal is balanced, healthy, and sufficient for your dog.
Now, there are different types of Labradoodle food meals available in the market today. So, now the question arises – which one is the best for your Labradoodle?
Which Nutrients Are Essential For Your Labradoodle’s Health?
Once you have chosen the type of dog food for your Labradoodle, it is now the time to find out which nutrients are best for him.
- Protein-rich diet
Protein is one of the most essential components of a Labradoodle’s diet. So, it is vital to ensure that you buy dog food rich in meat or other proteins.
Some of the tremendous protein-rich meal items are meat, eggs, or fish. If you are a vegan or a vegetarian, you can try out a plant-based protein meal for your dog.
However, we do not recommend it as it may not be beneficial for your dog.
- Carbohydrates-rich diet
Contrary to many beliefs, dogs can digest carbohydrates if they are in a minimal amount.
Carbohydrates can make your dog feel full instead of feeling hungry all the time. They can also help in the digestion process of your dog.
One thing to keep in mind is that food with many carbohydrates (above 40% content) is not a good idea as they will make your dog feel heavier. They also have less protein-content, so their meal will not be up to the mark.
- Fat-Rich Diet
Fats are an essential nutrient to keep your dog active and happy. These nutrients act as a source of energy and are also needed for fat-soluble vitamins.
Tip: Do not go for general fats. Instead, go for specific fat like salmon fat.
Lastly, avoid artificial food products to give your Labradoodle a healthy diet.
Best Dog Food For Labradoodles
We have compiled a list of best six dog food products to make things easier for you!
Number 1 Pick: Wellness Complete Health Grained Dry Dog Food
Where to Buy: Amazon
The best brand for buying dry dog food for your Labradoodle is the Wellness brand. This product has all the nutrients required to make your dog happy and healthy.
- PROTEIN RICH LARGE BREED ADULT DRY DOG FOOD: Nutritionally dense crunchy kibble with ingredients such as chicken and brown rice for whole body health.
- ALL NATURAL: Created by nutritionists, veterinarians and animal lovers, our recipes provide an ideal balance of nature's finest ingredients, carefully selected to nourish and sustain your dog's...
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY WEIGHT & STRONG JOINTS: Supported by glucosamine for strong joints, antioxidants for strong immune systems, vitamins for healthy eyes and teeth, omega fatty acids ensure healthy skin...
- NO CORN, WHEAT, OR SOY: Adult large breed dry dog food doesn't contain poultry by-products, wheat, wheat gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors, or preservatives.
- MADE IN USA: Using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; recipes crafted with wholesome, non-GMO ingredients chosen for their...
You can get three options: Chicken, lamb, and whitefish. You can choose anyone depending on what your dog wants and his/her diet plan.
It also comes in three sizes – 5, 15, and 30-pound bags. This can help in maintaining your budget as well!
Wellness dry dog food is rich in proteins and grains that can quickly energize your dog and increase metabolism.
This dog food also has superior omega fatty acids that can keep your Labradoodle’s precious coat healthy and shiny. Additionally, it can improve his or her immune system, as well.
If you are worried about feeding your dog-packaged food, well, don’t be. This product has organic ingredients that can do more good than harm to your little companion. Lastly, there are no artificial flavors added that can have a side-effect.
There are rarely any cons to mention, as this is one of the best dog food products available today!
Pick Two: Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Brand: Hill’s Science Diet
Where to buy: Amazon
The second to our list is Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog FoodThis product is mostly for adult Labradoodles.
- A dry dog food specially formulated to fuel the energy needs of large breed adult dogs
- Supports your grown dog's joint health with natural sources of Glucosamine & Chondroitin
- Maintain your senior dog's healthy skin and shiny coat with nourishing omega-6 fatty acids & vitamin E
- Promotes lean muscle in large dogs with high-quality protein
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
It is available in only chicken and barley flavor and comes in two packaging options – 15 lbs and 30 lbs.
However, it has excellent nutritional value, especially for weight management.
Some of the pros are that it contains L-carnitine to ensure and promote proper body weight, along with a healthy heart and body.
It has high-quality protein, with fibers that can enrich your dog’s body with the best of nutrients.
The Omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin-E also ensure that your Labradoodle’s skin is shiny and healthy through and through! Given Labradoodles can get skin or ear troubles – any extra nutritional support is very welcome.
One of the major cons is that there are almost no additional flavors or other packaging options available.
Pick Three: Purina Pro Plan Dry Puppy Food Large Breed
Brand: Purina Pro Plan
Where to Buy: Amazon
Another fantastic dry product you should consider for your Labradoodle is Purina Pro Plant Dry Puppy Food.
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Dry Puppy Food, Chicken and Rice Formula
- Formulated to support an appropriate growth rate for large breed puppies
- Glucosamine supports developing joints and cartilage
- Vitamin A and omega-6 fatty acids to nourish skin and coat
- High protein formula, with real chicken as the first ingredient
It is available in two options: Grain Free-Chicken and Chicken and Rice. You can opt for either one depending on your dog’s preferences and diet plan. This product also comes in five sizes – 16 lb, 18 lb, 24 lb, 34 lb, and 47 lb bags.
Additionally, this dog food contains essential nutrients like DHA, antioxidants, Omega-6, and calcium to improve your dog’s health and happiness.
This dry dog food is essentially sourced with high-quality protein for your Labradoodle’s health. It also contains glucosamine that can help with strengthening the dog’s joints and cartilages.
It contains fish oil that is a source of DHA. DHA helps in brain development to keep your Labradoodle happy and sound. It also helps in improving your dog’s vision.
One of the major cons is that this product is mainly chicken-based and does not offer other options like fish or other meat options.
Pick Four: Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Brand: Blue Buffalo
Where to buy: Amazon
Some of the flavors available are chicken, duck, and salmon. There are packaging options available too – 4.5 lb, 11 lb, and 24 lb.
It is made especially for adult dogs to keep them active, healthy, and full of energy. It contains carbohydrates, peas, sweet potatoes, and healthy fatty acids.
This product also contains important vitamins and minerals to help your dog build stronger muscles, teeth, and bones.
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: Made to feed your feline's wild side, this high protein cat food is packed with more of the chicken cats crave to help build and maintain lean muscle mass
- GRAIN FREE INDOOR CAT FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free indoor cat food is specially formulated to help meet the unique needs of indoor cats to support healthy weight and healthy digestion without the...
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal...
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: BLUE dry cat food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy,...
- Contains one (1) 11-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Indoor Dry Cat Food, Chicken
This product is rich in protein, as it contains real salmon and meat ingredients. This helps your dog develop strong and healthy muscles. It also satisfies your dog’s natural wild side.
The antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals included in the product will help enhance your dog’s immune system and help him have a healthier life.
The product does not have many cons, but more oversized packages can get expensive for some people. It is also not suitable for all dietary needs.
Pick Five: Eukanuba Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
Where to buy: Amazon
Eukanuba Breed Specific Labrador Retriever is designed for Labradors – but will work a treat for Labradoodles. It is available in chicken flavor with only one packaging option of 30 lbs.
It is a great product made specifically for Labrador dogs and is made with animal proteins that your dog’s muscles need to grow.
Having a 3D Dentadefense system, it can reduce tartar from building up in less than 30 days. It also contains calcium and other minerals to help your dog build stronger bones, joints, and teeth.
- EUKANUBA Labrador Retriever Dog Food features 3D DENTADEFENSE System, which is proven to reduce tartar build-up in 28 days
- Our nutritional dog food is made with high-quality, animal-based proteins to help your lab build strong, lean muscles for an optimal body condition
- Our Labrador retriever dog rood is formulated to help support healthy joints
- EUKANUBA PREMIUM Labrador Dog Food contains calcium to support strong bones
- Promotes healthy digestion and skin and coat health
It is great for your dog’s brain function. It contains vitamin E and DHA that can enhance intelligence and mental acuity. The product is made to give your dog an active, energetic lifestyle (which is great for active dogs like Goldendoodles or Labradoodles).
This product reduces tartar buildup in less than 30 days. So, it can help your dog have more strong and healthy teeth and prevent tooth decay.
It can also help your dog develop strong and lean muscles, thanks to the well-formulated ingredients included in the product. It enhances the digestion process for your dog.
Some included components have caused allergic reactions in some dogs. This is rare and unlikely! But always monitor the skin health of your dog when switching foods. They can also cause itching and coat problems.
Also, there is only a chicken option available with one standard packaging.
Pick Six: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Brand: Blue Buffalo
Where to buy: Amazon
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is available in various flavors in three different packaging – 6 lb, 15 lb, and 30 lb.
The real lamb meat ingredient will satisfy your dog’s love for natural meat. The proteins will help your dog develop healthy muscles.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real lamb helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome...
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a...
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life...
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy,...
- Contains one (1) 34 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Lamb and Brown Rice
It has Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that will enhance your dog’s immune system and give your dog healthy skin and coat.
It contains fish oil, which is perfect for your lab’s skin and coat. The product includes all the needed vitamins and minerals to build strong bones and joints.
The product has no chicken, and it does not contain any ingredients that might cause an allergy, such as wheat, corn, soy, etc.
The minerals and vitamins included will help your dog develop healthier and stronger muscles and bones.
It has different formulas for different life stages. Each recipe is appropriately designed to suit your dog’s needs at a specific age.
This product is not suitable for dogs who are sensitive to lamb meat or pea protein. They are also not ideal for dogs who usually eat grain-free diets.
Different Types of Labradoodle Dog Food Available
Before you buy any dog food, it is necessary to know the different types available and their effectiveness.
Dry Food for Labradooles
Dry food is one of the best options for your Labradoodle. You may wonder why? Well, because such food meals are full of nutrients like carbohydrates that can build your dog’s metabolism.
However, food meals with over 75% of water content cannot provide adequate nutrients to your dog.
Remember that you can always give water to your dog, but a healthy, dry food diet is the only thing that can provide nutrients for them.
In such meals too, you can find a lot of variety. If your dog is picky, you can find tasty dry food for him. If he is losing energy too quickly, healthy, dry food options are always available.
We suggest that natural dry food as preservatives, colors, and artificial flavors can cause health-related problems.
Raw Food Diet
Raw food is another option for your Labradoodle.
Raw food is usually available in the market and considered as a meat-heavy food. Raw food can help in making your dog more robust, more active, and healthy (RSPCA)!
Canned or Wet Food
Canned dog food has high moisture content. You may find such fares at a supermarket rather than a pet store.
It is because canned dog food is not the healthiest option out there. It has a high moisture content that will not provide adequate nutrients to your Labradoodle, as mentioned earlier.
Additionally, you may have to heat the food at high temperatures to make it sterile. This is not always true but be sure to read the label!
Home-made Labradoodle Food
If you want total control over your dog’s diet and nutrition plan, home-made food is the best idea.
Yet, it is not the most feasible one for many. Home-made food needs a lot of time and effort. You may also have to research quite a bit before you begin your dog’s diet plan. The raw ingredients can also get relatively more expensive.
So, only go for this type of dog food if you have sufficient time for it.
The last category is semi-moist food. The name may seem a perfect balance, but it is still not the healthiest or the soundest option for your dog.
Semi-moist food is excellent for snacks and treats but never for the main course.
Final Word From Us
There is no doubt that keeping the dog happy and active is every dog lover’s dream. Now, when it comes to Labradoodles, it is even harder to see them sad and sitting in the corner.
So, lighten up your cutest little companion’s life, as he does with yours, by providing him with only the best food!