The best dog foods for Goldendoodle are usually rich in protein, healthy fats, and micronutrients. Dry pellets are recommended by most Vets and canine diet experts as the easiest and best form of dog food for Goldendoodles.
The food is fine to contain some carbohydrates. Carbs do not contribute the overall nutrition to the Goldendoodle. Look for meat and protein as the basis of good quality natural food.
Avoid preservatives as possible. Much like humans, most dog breeds require a balanced diet. Bearing these requisites in mind, here are six of the best dog foods for Goldendoodle reviewed.
The 6 Best Foods for Goldendoodle Dogs?
Just looking for the top Goldendoodle dog foods? Here is the list of the top six recommended dog foods for Goldendoodles. See below for detailed reviews for each brand. Our number one all rounder pick for Goldendoodles is Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Dry Dog Food.
Best All-Round – Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
This is bestselling dog food. The chicken and rice formula works well for both pups and adults. Of course, the size of the serving and the frequency would vary depending on the weight and activity of your Goldendoodle.
- 40 lb. Bag - Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Chicken & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient. No supplements necesscary
- Dual-defense antioxidant blend to help support a strong immune system
- Natural sources of glucosamine help to support healthy joints
- Protein-rich, tender, meaty morsels and crunchy kibble for a taste dogs love.Food intake may double or even quadruple during lactation
The SmartBlend range includes chicken and rice, lamb and rice, beef and rice, and only lamb. The lamb variant is for smaller breeds of dogs. The beef and rice formula comes as small bites. The chicken, rice, and lamb; rice is in the form of dry pellets. All these variants have different sizes, from 8lb to 40lb.
Purina One is among the most renowned dog food brands. It is known for premium quality at a family-friendly budget. The SmartBlend Natural dog food with chicken and rice formula is no different.
What is actually in SmartBlend?
There are no fillers in the formula. Your pup or adult Goldendoodle would get all the essential nutrients. The ingredients in the chicken and rice formula are real chicken meat, rice flour, whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, beef fat, and soybean meal.
There is a byproduct meal of chicken, liver flavor, glycerin, calcium carbonate, phosphates, dried peas and carrots, potassium chloride, and salt.
Your pet would get a healthy dose of several vitamins in SmartBlend. The formula offers Vitamins E, B-3, A, B-5, B-1, B-12, B-2, B-6, B-9, K, D-3, and B-7. There are several minerals, including ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium iodate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, choline chloride, and sulfur.
Purine One has a 28 days challenge for its SmartBlend range of dog foods. The brand says that you would notice a noticeable transformation in your dog.
While SmartBlend is balanced dog food and comes in dry and wet variants, Goldendoodle requires the dry pellets and not the wet food. Also, some Goldendoodles may be allergic to soy, corn, and wheat.
Suppose your pup or adult Goldendoodle is sensitive to these ingredients. In that case, it is better to opt for another formula excluding these.
Vet’s Choice – IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Minichunks Dry Dog Food, Chicken
This dog food has been recommended by veterinarians. The formula is indeed well balanced. While rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals, the Proactive Health Minichunks also offer antioxidants, prebiotics, and fiber.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of IAMS Proactive health Adult Minichunks Dry Dog Food Chicken
- 1st ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken, and features smaller kibble size
- Promotes healthy digestion with a tailored blend of wholesome fibers and prebiotics
- Builds strong muscles with quality protein sourced from real chicken
- Supports a strong immune system with antioxidants
The dry pellets are smaller than the usual size. This makes the food more suited for young pups. That doesn’t imply it is not for adult Goldendoodles. Adult Groodles can have this kibble! The Minichunks are available in bags weighing 7lb and 30lb.
No cage chicken
There are several identical ingredients in the Minichunks and SmartBlend. One distinct difference is the source of chicken and its byproduct meal. The chickens used for Minichunks are raised in farms and not constrained in battery cages. The formula also includes farm-grown carrots and beet pulp.
The latter offers natural fiber and prebiotics. There is chicken fat, which is rich in omega-6 fatty acids, an essential nutrient for dogs. The Minichunks have dried egg products, caramel color, flaxseed, and rosemary extract. There are no preservatives or fillers.
There is a feeding guide and a set of recommendations from IAMS. You can find these details on the packaging itself. You could refer to this guide to determine how much you would feed your Goldendoodle or use your own experience. Not all guides work perfectly for every breed of dogs.
Besides, dogs don’t always have identical routines of physical activity. Metabolism varies, so does the frequency of feeding. Your Goldendoodle may do well with two meals a day. You may opt for four smaller meals a day. Plan the routine as you deem fit for your pet.
Easy to Digest – Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Bites, Chicken; Barley Recipe
Hill’s Science Diet is bestselling dry dog food, known mainly for its easy digestibility. It is recommended by veterinarians, and the formula contains clinically proven antioxidants.
The chicken and barley flavored dog food has real chicken meat without artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. The primary ingredients are chicken, meat, fat, liver flavor and meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, soybean oil, dried beet pulp, flaxseed, pork flavor, and lactic acid.
- A dry dog food with easy-to-digest ingredients to fuel the energy needs of adult canines, with a little kibble
- This dry food for small-breed dogs provides omega-6s & vitamin E for healthy skin & coat
- Provides your adult little dog with high-quality protein for maintaining lean muscle
- Promotes healthy digestion for your adult dog with natural fibers
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
If your Goldendoodle is lactose intolerant, then you may want to speak with the vet before opting for this dry dog food.
Introducing new food to a sensitive Goldendoodle stomach
Hill’s Science Diet should be introduced in a phased manner. It is best to gradually substitute some of the old food with the new diet. The fresh food should be around one-fourth of the daily intake for the first two days.
The serving can be increased to half of the daily intake for the third and fourth days. For the fifth and sixth days, the intake of the new food can be increased to around three-fourths of the daily consumption, or slightly more. By the end of the first week, the new diet can replace the old food for the entire daily intake.
There are several minerals in Hill’s Science Diet, including calcium carbonate, choline chloride, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide and sodium selenite, and Vitamins E, C, A, B-12, and D-3. The food also has oat fiber, green peas, apples, carrots, broccoli, cranberries, beta carotene, and taurine.
Brain and Muscles Support – Eukanuba Adult Small Bites Dry Dog Food
Any of the best dog foods for Goldendoodle that provides sufficient nutrition should promote the development of muscles and enhance brain functions. Some formulas tend to do this better than others.
- Eukanuba Adult Small Bites dry dog food is complete and balanced nutrition for small and medium breed dogs that are 12 months or older, weighing up to 54 lbs., and have a smaller muzzle or prefer a smaller kibble
- Promotes lean muscle development and joint health in active adult dogs with a combination of animal protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate
- Helps keep dogs sharp and supports healthy brain function with DHA and vitamin E
- Fuels an active lifestyle with optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates
- Maintains dental health by helping reduce tartar buildup with 3D DentaDefense
Nutrients are not always sufficient in a portion of particular dog food. Bioavailability of these nutrients plays a vital role in providing brain and muscle support. This availability depends on the ingredients and the digestibility of the food.
Eukanuba dry dog food is available in 5lb, 16lb, and 33lb bags. The dry small bites are meant explicitly for adult Goldendoodles and other breeds. This chicken-based dry food is not ideal for large breeds.
If your Goldendoodle is older than twelve months and does not weigh over fifty-four pounds, this is one of the best dry foods for brain and muscle support.
What ingredients give Eukanuba the brain boost?
Eukanuba Adult Small Bites dry dog food uses a combination of animal protein and glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate to provide optimum support to the brain. This also supports the development of lean muscles. As a result, dogs are more active, sharper, and more robust.
The formula contains DHA, healthy fats, carbohydrates, and several vitamins. The food also prevents the buildup of tartar and is therefore brilliant for your pet’s dental health.
Eukanuba’s primary ingredients in this formula are chicken and its byproducts, cornmeal, brewers rice, ground whole grain barley, dried beet pulp, fish oil, dried egg product, and flax meal, among others.
The food provides Vitamins A, B-1, B2, B-6, B-12, D-3, and E. It also has a plethora of minerals. The daily intake or serving and its frequency should be regulated as per the age, weight, and lifestyle of your Goldendoodle.
Premium Nutrition – Chicken Soup for the Soul Adult Dry Dog Food
This is one of the healthiest and balanced dog foods available on the market. It offers premium nutrition without any byproduct meals, corn, wheat, soy, or artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. The tasty pellets are made of real chicken and turkey, the two primary ingredients in the formula. There is some duck and salmon too.
- GREAT TASTING: Our dog food contains high-quality protein with real chicken as #1 ingredient and real turkey as the #2 ingredient
- MADE WITH REAL INGREDIENTS: Each 28 pound bag of our Adult dog food is made with real chicken, turkey, duck, salmon, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, veggies, fruit and herbs.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: Our formula never contains by-product meals, artifical flavors or preservatives and is wheat free, corn free and soy free
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN & COAT: Made with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to promote healthy skin and a shiny coat
- MAINTAINS IMMUNE HEALTH: Our natural dog food contains prebiotic fiber from dried chicory root for healthy digestion
All these meats are the healthiest among animal proteins. The formula also includes cracked pearled barley, veggies, whole grain brown rice, herbs, and fruits. Brown rice is a lot healthier than white rice. Barley is much leaner and more nutritious than wheat.
Chicken Soup for the Soul is primarily for adult dogs, irrespective of the breed. It is rich in omega fatty acids, necessary for healthy skin and coat. The formula contains prebiotic fiber derived from dried chicory root. This aids digestion and enhances the bioavailability of the other ingredients. The dry food also contains chondroitin and glucosamine for healthy muscles and joints.
Grain-Free – Turkey, and Duck – Blue Buffalo Wilderness Flatland Feast High Protein Grain Free
Since Goldendoodle is a hybrid and golden retrievers tend to have gastric problems, the trait may be genetically passed on to your pup. A pup or adult Goldendoodle can experience bloating.
Some Goldendoodles tend to be overweight. Grains are not their best friend if they are overweight or obese. Also, not all forms of animal protein can be suitable if your Goldendoodle experiences bloating.
- PACKED WITH REAL TURKEY: A recipe inspired by the vast Midwestern plains this high protein dog food features a blend of turkey, quail and duck to satisfy your dog's wild side while helping build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult dog food is made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas to help fuel your dog's active lifestyle. Plus it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits , a precise blend of antioxidants vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 22-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness Flatland Feast High Protein Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food with Turkey, Quail & Duck
Blue Buffalo’s grain-free, turkey, and duck based dry food work well for adult Goldendoodles. The food does not contain any wheat or soy. There is a blend of turkey, duck, and quail, all promoting the development of lean mass.
Instead of using grains, the carbohydrates are sourced from sweet potatoes, a much healthier source of glucose and energy. The formula also includes antioxidants, omega fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
Goldendoodle Food Choice Conclusions
A balanced dry food diet will hit every marker for health in a Goldendoodle. Even super active Goldendoodles that love to swim and run can get their complete nutritional hit from dry food.
You can supplement with treats or homemade dog snacks if you like. Cooking up a storm? Why not whip up a treat for your Groodle? There are plenty of easy simple dog treat recipes using ingredients like meat or even almond milk.