As a general rule, Cavapoos have short, curly, soft coats, with characteristics similar to both Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Poodles. Yet, their fur varies between individual pups.
Some have more of a dense, curly poodle coat, and others tend towards the long-haired Cavalier coat with an undercoat. Because of their poodle genes, a Cavapoo puppy or adult dog will shed far less than most other breeds. This does mean they will need at least weekly brushing to keep the fur healthy and detangled.
Regular grooming benefits your pet by:
- Brushing dirt out of the hair.
- Distributing natural, conditioning oils through the fur.
- Keeping hair from tangling.
- Keeping skin clean and free of irritants.
- Alerting you to any flea activity.
Table of Contents
The Right Brush
Some dog grooming brushes are general-purpose, while others have specific uses. Since Cavapoo fur can differ, you will have to consider your pet’s coat when deciding what type of grooming tool to use.
- Rakes help detangle and smooth a thick undercoat.
- A grooming mitt or rubber curry comb works well on short-haired coats.
- A wire slicker brush works best on coats that are a little longer, curlier, or matted. It can also tame an undercoat. This includes poodle mix coats.
- Work out tiny knots that remain after brushing with a general-purpose comb or bristle brush.
Finding the best Cavapoo brush can be confusing, so I did some research and found some great options.
The Single Best All Round Brush for a Cavapoo
- GROOMERS MIRACLE BRUSH - Best slicker brush for removing matts, fluffing and brushing your dog. A fantastic de-shedding tool Premium “comfort glide” pins will not scratch your dog. 30% more pins than other premium brands this brush does more work with less effort. Ergonomic handle with fantastic comfort grip. Will not slip out of your hand. Makes grooming easier for both home groomers and salon groomers alike.
- GROOMGRIP - The unique GroomGrip rubber coating is great for using in the bath to prevent the brush from slipping in your hands and its ergonomic handle will help prevent brushing fatigue.
- DOG BREEDS - It is the best dog slicker brush for Poodles, Goldendoodles, and Labradoodles because of its ability to remove tangles and mats with ease. Fluff, detangle and style with one tool. Available in three sizes to fit your breed and size of dog.
- SIZING - Baby - Head: 2 3/8" x 2 3/8". Body: 7 3/8", Medium - Head: 2 3/8" x 3 3/4". Body: 7 3/8", Large - Head: 3 3/4" x 3 3/4". Body: 8"
- WHY CHRIS CHRISTENSEN - It all started in 1996 when Chris Christensen developed the first true color correcting shampoo for canines and felines. White on White was a catalyst in the evolution of canine coat care. The momentum that followed has allowed Chris Christensen Systems to bring you the finest grooming products ever available in the dog show and pet care worlds.
The Mark VI Curved Slicker brush was designed by Chris Christensen and his team of professionals for your pup. It is made from handcrafted beech wood with high grade steel pins to prevent hair breakage, resulting in a neat appearance for the show ring.
Looking for a brush that will get the job done right? The Chris Christensen Dog Brush, with its curved design and steel pins, is the perfect choice. Get out of tangles and knots in seconds by getting your hands on this high-quality product today!
If you have a Cavapoo or any other dog with beautiful, wavy non-shedding hair, then this is the brush for you. With its exquisite beech wood and high grade steel pins that won’t damage your pup’s coat, it’s perfect for gently fluffing up curls and removing loose hairs without getting so tangled they break off.
The ergonomic design makes it easy to hold while grooming your pooch by hand – no need for pesky arm strain from reaching with a big brush!
This is legit the only brush you need to buy (though consider a steel grooming comb). Everything else is nice extras to have.
A Cavapoo with thick or curly hair may require more rigorous grooming. A slicker brush can remove debris, loose hair, and mats/knots in the fur. A word of caution: if used incorrectly or too aggressively, the wires can be uncomfortable and scratch.
Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush – Best for Travel
While effective for removing loose hair, tangles, knots, dander, and dirt, Hertzko’s Slicker Brush is very gentle. It has fine, bent wires that penetrate deeply into the coat without scratching the skin.
- #1 Cat & Dog Brush - Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets; trusted by millions of pet owners
- Effective - Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt & debris, keeps coat looking shiny and healthy
- Versatile - Great for cats & dogs of all fur types
- Easy to Clean - Simply retract bristles with the push of a button, then wipe away collected fur
- Smart Design - Fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it easy to keep your pet looking happy & healthy
- Bristles extend for brushing and retract for easy bristle cleaning.
- Store the bristles within the brush to prevent bending or breaking, which can scratch your pup.
- Ergonomically designed with a comfortable grip and anti-slip handle.
- Don’t use it on short-haired dogs or dogs without an undercoat.
- There are complaints that the bristles do not stay extended when using the brush.
Glendan Dog Brush & Cat Brush – Best for Matted Fur
The Glendan Pet Grooming Brush removes mats, dander and trapped dirt. Brushing difficult-to-reach places is easier with a rotating brush head. The ergonomically designed handle provides a snug grip and is resistant to slipping.
- Easy to clean pet grooming brush removes mats, ,dander and trapped dirt,Tangles and Loose hair with minimal effort and comfort - suitable for long or short hair.
- Pet slicker brush doing massage for your pet is good for preventing skin disease and increasing blood circulation. and leaves your pets coat soft and shiny.
- Our Pet Brush is simple design specially designed with a comfort-grip and anti-slip handle, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you brush your pet!
- Pet Massage Brush massage for your pet is good for preventing skin disease，Massaging particles won't scratch your pet，and increasing blood circulation.
- Glendan Dog Brush Warranty: 90 Days no question ask money back. 365 Days Quality Guarantee and Life time Friendly Customer Service
- Coated metal tips won’t scratch your pup.
- Ideal for smaller dogs, making brushing easier for them.
- Excellent warranty: 90-day returns, 365 days quality guarantee.
- The tip coating sometimes wears off, causing discomfort.
- It can be challenging to clean without bending bristles.
Shedding and Dematting
An undercoat rake detangles and removes loose hair from your pup’s undercoat. Use short, careful strokes to prevent pulling and removing too much hair.
FURminator Grooming Rake – Best for Matted Coats
The FURminator(R) grooming tool separates and untangles fur. Its secret is rotating, rounded pins and shaped lines that follow your pup’s contour. That doesn’t sound like it would make much difference, but it does!
- Rotating metal teeth: the rotating metal teeth remove loose hair from undercoat and help prevent tangles and mats in dense fur.
- Best for thick fur: The grooming Rake is best for dogs and cats with thick fur or dense double coats.
- Convenient solution: convenient daily solution to undercoat care.
- Ergonomic handle: The ergonomic nonslip handle gives you maximum control.
- Guaranteed: guaranteed to work on or your money back (See instructions for Details).
- Rotating pins remove tangles and mats without tugging or causing skin irritation.
- Effectively combs through the undercoat.
- A comfortable handle provides a secure grip.
- There have been reports of the teeth and handles falling off the product.
- Does not work well on long-haired dogs.
Grooming Mitt or Rubber Combs
If your Cavapoo has a short to medium-length coat without an undercoat, grooming mitts and curry combs may be your best choice. A rubber or silicone mitt or comb has nubs that catch dead and loose hair. The hair adheres to the glove or comb until removed and discarded.
Pet Grooming Gloves – Best for Short or Recently Cut Coats
This grooming glove is even better than the original, which was almost perfect. The main change is the improved wristband placement. When you use these gloves, your dog will feel like he is being petted or played with, leading to a more extended and enjoyable grooming session for both of you.
- Includes a right-handed and left-handed glove.
- Enhanced silicone teeth hold on to the dead and loose hair, making it easy to peel off and discard.
- The slip-on gloves have a five-finger design allowing for easier grooming in hard-to-reach places.
- It will not remove hair from the undercoat.
- It is too small for some hands.
Pet Hair Magic Pet Grooming Gloves – Best for Bathing
These silicone gloves, created in one piece, are extra long, durable, and tear-resistant. Use for your pup’s weekly brushing as well as a bath aid. They have a convenient loop for hanging the gloves to dry and store them.
- 🐶 Premium Material - Dimension 13.8in * 5.9in. The magic gloves are made entirely of eco-friendly silicone, which is with superior elastic and soft property, no easy to tear.
- 🐈 High Density Brush Heads - There are over 3,000 15mm brush heads spread over the glove palm to ensure easier hair grooming for your dogs or cats without any uncomfortable feeling.
- 👍 Heat Resistant - Excellent heat resistance up to 501°F, so the grooming gloves can be sterilized with boiling water while having a pet bathing. Never worry about getting scalded.
- 🔥 Multiple Use - This Magic Gloves also can be used for kitchen, washing dishes, fruit & vegetable cleaning, cleaning the bathroom and bed room, removing wardrobe dust, and washing the car.
- ❤️ Easy To Care - The loose hair of your pets will be fastened by the high dense brush heads, easy to clean. And the hanging hole makes the gloves easy to store.
- Loose hair stays on the glove until you peel it off.
- Sterilize the gloves in boiling water.
- The non slip design makes them comfortable to use.
- It doesn’t work as well on coarse hair.
- Some complaints of tearing.
Gorilla Grip Pet Brush with Easy Clean Button – Best for Short, Wiry Fur
The self-cleaning, retractable bristles are a popular feature of this slicker brush. Quick-release bristles extend for brushing and retract for easy removal of fur. This silicone handle is slip-resistant and comfortable for use with either hand. It includes a thumb rest for added comfort and control.
- Reduces Shedding: effectively reduce the amount of hair and fur you find around the house from your pet, in a matter of minutes; drastically reduces shedding while helping to keep your pet’s coat...
- Made to Last: durable, 100 percent stainless steel blades safely help to remove loose undercoat hair while simultaneously combing the top fur and providing a gentle massage experience for your pet;...
- Great For All Pets: perfect for use with many different types of pets; use effectively on long haired or short haired cats and dogs, as well as horses, rabbits, and more; gentle enough for many sized...
- Slip Resistant Handle: ergonomic handle has a silicone, slip resistant grip that is comfortable to use for both lefties and righties, helping to provide an easier experience for you and your pet
- Nail File: pet grooming brush includes a nail file to help keep your pet’s nails looking and feeling great too
- It comes in five colors.
- The handle includes a thumb rest for extra comfort and control.
- Retractable bristles make them easy to clean.
- Tips seem sharper than some other choices.
- It may be too large to use on smaller Cavapoos.
General-Purpose Detangling Comb
While some people use a comb instead of a brush when grooming, I prefer to use it only for stubborn tangles on longer-haired dogs. To avoid pulling on your pup’s delicate skin, hold the base of the knot near the skin as you work it out.
Here are two of the most popular general-purpose detangling combs. Either one will work for removing stubborn mats and tangles.
Dog Comb – Best for All Sizes of Tangles
This comb has an easy-grip handle across the back of the comb. On one side, the comb teeth are closer together, while on the other side, they are farther apart. This makes it easy to tackle different-sized tangles.
- STAINLESS STEEL COMB 10-In: Made of sturdy and corrosion-resistant stainless steel, this comb can reduce static electricity and will not fade over time. Built to last through multiple grooming...
- EFFECTIVE DEMATTING TOOL: This pet comb can easily remove knots, mats, and loose hair from your pet's coat. It also promotes blood circulation and massages the skin for better pet health.
- SLEEK & SHINY COAT: The comb's coarse and fine teeth work together to remove thick or dead fur and leave your pet's coat soft, sleek, and shining.
- CONVENIENT & PORTABLE: This comb is useful and portable, fitting conveniently in a handbag. It's suitable for all short- and long-haired dogs, cats, and other pets.
- COMFORTABLE & SAFE FOR PET: The comb's rounded pin ends are gentle on your pet's skin. It combs and massages the coat, preventing snagging and harm.
FURminator Curry Comb – Best Massaging
- FOR DOGS: FURminator Curry Comb is ideal for daily use on short and medium coats
- MOLDED RUBBER TEETH: Removes dust and loose hair – extracts debris left over from brushing.
- PROMOTES COAT HEALTH: Helps stimulate the production of natural oils for a healthy coat.
- INCLUDES HAND STRAP: Attaches to your hand for easy handling and maximum control while grooming.
- USE: Comb daily to keep your pet’s coat clean and healthy.
FURminator curry comb is popular with dogs and their owners. The molded rubber teeth massage your pup as you brush. The ergonomically shaped grip with a hand strap is secure and comfortable to use even when brushing awkwardly to reach places.
- A comfortable, ergonomic handle makes it easy to hold.
- Plastic with anti-microbial properties keeps germs and bacteria at bay.
- It is durable and long-lasting.
- The strap is too tight for larger hands.
- Some complaints that the rubber teeth are too hard and cause discomfort.
Time to Groom
Once you’ve picked out the best brushes for your Cavapoo, follow these steps to ensure a successful grooming session for your dog’s coat. Our complete guide on how to groom a Cavapoo is here.
- To begin with, keep sessions short, so your dog can get used to them, then lengthen them over time.
- Allow your Cavapoo to see and smell the brush.
- Begin brushing while rewarding your pup with treats and praise.
- It’s important to be gentle because too much pressure can lead to irritation called brush burn.
- Make sure you comb all the way down to the skin, especially if the coat is thick.
- Use a detangler or conditioner to loosen knots.
- Avoid hurting your dog when bushing out a knot by holding the hair near the skin as you work out the tangle.