There are a variety of options available when it comes to the best hypoallergenic treats for dogs, however choosing the right ones without busting the budget is tricky.
The reality of it is that there are actually a plethora of affordable options that can help to prevent allergies from flaring up.
Typically hypoallergenic dog foods are prescribed by your local vet, however there are also a variety of tremendous options available online.
Many of which are made through the use of proteins that have been chemically “split” (hydrolyzed) into their basic amino acid form. This essentially makes the original allergen invisible to your dog’s immune system, making the dog less likely to have an allergic reaction.
The Best Hypoallergenic Treats for Dogs
There are a ton of options available online, which can either make the process more enjoyable, or more stressful.
To help get you started we have come up with our top 7 best hypoallergenic treats for dogs.
Fruitables Crunchy Baked Dog Treats
- IRRESISTABLE TASTE: Homemade goodness! These tantalizing treats smell like muffins right out of the oven, loaded with pumpkin and blueberry and freshly baked just for your dog.
- DELICIOUSLY HEALTHY DOG TREATS: Made with superfoods, our oven-baked dog biscuits are both healthy AND delicious. Made with rich antioxidants, there are no compromises here.
- ONLY 8 CALORIES PER TREAT: CalorieSmart is our way of saying we use pumpkin to help reduce calories so you can keep treating your pet guilt free.
- SMELL THE FRUITABLES DIFFERENCE: Our pumpkin dog treats smell great. Seriously, open a bag and smell the difference! You’ll be tempted to try one yourself.
- CRUNCHY BAKED TEXTURE DOGS LOVE: Fruitables baked dog treats have a unique flower shape and a satisfying crunch that dogs love.
Fruitables are one of the most popular brands for all-natural dog treats, and their Crunch Dog Treats come in a variety of flavours that revolve around non-protein based flavours. Some of which include pumpkin, apple, strawberry, and blueberry. While dog’s are generally happier eating meat, providing them with a nutritious fruity treat can be a tasty, and healthy reward for your pooch. Fruitables are also very low calorie, with only 9 calories per treat they illustrate one of the healthier options for your doggo!
Purina Veterinary Diets Gentle Snackers
- One (1) 8 oz. Pouch - Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Gentle Snackers Hypoallergenic Canine Dog Treats
- Formulated for dogs with food sensitivities and sensitive GI tracts
- Easily digested
- Stay-fresh pouch
Purina Veterinary Diets Gentle Snackers are the top option when it comes to meat alternatives, as they are specifically designed for dogs with meat allergies, and is art of the HA diet treatment. These treats are perfect for dogs with severe protein allergies, and are commonly prescribed by vets for dogs that need hypoallergenic treats. They are specifically made for sensitive stomachs, and are 100% meat-free.
PureBites Freeze-Dried Dog Treats
- Made with only 1 ingredient; 100% Pure USA Sourced & Made Raw Human Grade Chicken Breast
- PureBites Chicken Breast 8.6oz | 243g has 1.9lbs. of RAW Chicken Breast and on average 330 treats per bag
- 100% natural, pure and easy to digest without any added preservatives
- On average 3 calories per treat and high in protein
- Ideal for dogs with health issues or pets that are overweight, diabetic, have allergies, gastrointestinal disorders, or are on a restricted diet
All of PureBites treats are made with just one ingredient, the primary protein. They carry a variety of freeze-dried options including fish, beef, chicken, or duck. PureBites are one of the most pure products you will find, as the meat is simply freeze-dried to get rid of the moisture, and it’s good to go. Not only does this make it easier and more enjoyable for your dog to eat, but it also preserves the meat without the need for artificial preservatives. They are also very high in protein (especially the chicken flavour), and surprisingly low in calories.
Old Mother Hubbard Dog Treats
- MINI CRUNCHY TREATS: An assortment of mini crunchy dog biscuits make a great training treat and a great addition to your dog's diet; they feature all natural ingredients and assorted natural flavors including chicken, eggs and real cheddar cheese
- ALL NATURAL: Our yummy biscuit recipes include wholesome natural ingredients such as real peanut butter, fruits and vegetables; each biscuit is slowly oven baked to preserve the natural flavors
- Made in North America using only the finest globally sourced ingredients; we craft delicious recipes with simple, natural ingredients thoughtfully chosen for their nutritional benefits; no artificial preservatives or meat byproducts
- THE NATURAL CHOICE: From puppy to senior, small dog to large breed, crunchy to chewy, grained to grain free, treating to training, we've got an all natural recipe for every dog's needs and taste
- GIVE 'EM SOME SNACK LOVE: We've used the same simple methods to bake our snacks since 1926; each home style recipe is crafted from wholesome ingredients so you can feel good about giving your dog a reward that's healthy and heartfelt
Old Mother Hubbard dog treats have gained immense traction recently because they are filled with delicious and allergy-free ingredients, in the familiar shape of a dog bone. It carries a ton of flavour thanks to the addition of ingredients like cheddar cheese, cane molasses, and paprika. While still maintaining all of the essential nutrients provided by the inclusion of apples, carrots, and eggs. There are also no artificial preservatives, or common allergens, and it comes in a variety of flavours (including vegetarian and vegan options).
Natural Balance Jumpin’ Stix Dog Treats
- Contains (1) 5 ounce bag of dog treats
- Grain-free dog treats
- Meaty taste and texture dogs crave
- Helps support hip and joint health
- Excellent addition to limited ingredient diets
Another extremely popular option amongst hypoallergenic dog treats is provided by Natural Balance with their Jumpin’ Stix dog treats. The spectacular thing about these snacks is that they are specifically made to help with joint pain, as they are fortified with glucosamine, and chondroitin. Both of which are known to help with dog’s knees, elbows, and hips. Aside from this amazing benefit, they are specifically designed for dogs that require limited ingredient diets. They are a fantastic option as they are made with real meat, and all-natural ingredients, without artificial colours or preservatives.
Nature Gnaws Large Bully Sticks Dog Treats
- SINGLE INGREDIENT DOG CHEWS - Made with only 100% natural premium quality Beef Bully Sticks.
- RAWHIDE FREE TREATS – Best alternative to chemically made rawhide bones or manufactured dental sticks.
- SUPPORTS DENTAL HEALTH – Chewing helps reduce plaque and tartar for cleaner teeth and fresher breath.
- SAFE & RESPONSIBLE COMPANY – Our 5-step safety process includes: fresh raw material sourcing, irradiation, food-grade lab testing, hand packaging in the USA and UV disinfection of our facility. From the farm to your fur baby, we manage, and quality check every single step.
- BAG SIZE COUNTS – The 6 Inch 8oz Bag has 9-12 Sticks, 6 Inch 1 LB Bag has 18-24 Sticks and 6 Inch 2 LB Bag has 36-48 Sticks.
Nature Gnaws provides us with yet another spectacular choice, as all of their treats are made with grass-fed beef, and no preservatives, additives, or hormones. The sticks are freeze-dried to lock in all of the natural flavouring, and nutrients, while still maintaining the signature rough texture that dog’s love.
Aside from the multiple health benefits these provide, it will also help to keep the dog occupied for hours, so it’s a safe and healthy alternative in this department as well. The sticks come in a variety of sizes, and amounts (for both small and large dogs), and are highly digestible (plus it cleans their teeth!).
Zuke’s Mini Natural Dog Treats
Rounding out our list we have Zuke’s Mini Naturals Dog Treats, a widely used product for training, that comes without many common allergens (corn, wheat, soy). This makes them not only a perfectly healthy yet tasty treat, but also as for positive reinforcement for dogs with allergies.
This tremendous product is also made with all-natural flavours like cherries, and savory turmeric, with real meat being the main ingredient. Though these treats are typically used for training purposes, they have garnered wonderful reviews, and illustrate an amazingly healthy alternative for all dogs.
DIY Hypoallergenic Dog Treats
Generally speaking, the best hypoallergenic dog treats are the ones that contain the fewest ingredients, the most unique ingredients, and contain no artificial additives.
So, when trying to figure out how you can make your own hypoallergenic dog treats, you should try to keep it as simple, and healthy as possible.
The easiest way to make homemade treats is to simply freeze any fruit, vegetable or protein. Tons of people take the fruits that are about to go bad, throw them into the freezer, and feed them to their dogs as an easy DIY healthy snack.
Another option is to create dehydrated dog treats, with the same premise being to take any piece of protein, fruit, or vegetable and put into a dehydrator. For this you will obviously need to invest in a dehydrator (assuming you don’t already have one), but it also presents you with more DIY options.
When it comes to any homemade dog treat, the best ingredients to use are; peanut butter, pumpkin, banana, sweet potato, carrots, peas, zucchini, and coconut oil.
If you look at all of the products mentioned previously, they all had a limited number of ingredients. So, at the end of the day, do not stress over trying to find the right formula, generally speaking, it’s the one with the fewest ingredients.
Just keep it simple and you’ll be fine!
How do I know if my dog has an allergy?
Generally it can be very obvious when your dog is upset, disgruntled, uncomfortable, or unhealthy. However, sometimes it’s not so obvious.
Dogs can be allergic to a number of different ingredients, and because most commercial foods are made with a long list of them, it can be hard to identify the problem.
While symptoms can arise in multiple ways, the most common way for you to tell is by looking at their stool. If you notice diarrhea or loose poop (as well as vomiting, skin itchiness, ear infections, or rashes) your dog most likely is reacting to a certain ingredient it’s digested.
If you notice these things, reach out to your vet, and they will likely provide you with an optimal diet plan to help eliminate any potentially harmful ingredients.
Are there any dog treat ingredients within the treats I should look for/avoid?
Many dog treats are made with fillers, by-products, and artificial flavours, all of which have a higher chance of triggering an allergic reaction. In general, when you are shopping for hypoallergenic treats, keep an eye out for products with digestible carbohydrates, a limited number of ingredients, novel animal proteins, no artificial additives, and no common allergens.
Why do dogs become allergic to certain ingredients?
Similar to humans, dogs often eat the same foods and treats continuously, and become over-exposed to certain ingredients. This over-exposure to the same ingredient (no matter how healthy it is) can cause the immune, and digestive systems to reach negatively.
Dogs have difficulty processing certain ingredients found in typical dog food, such as beef, dairy, corn, and wheat. It is also well known that once a dog develops one allergy, they are more likely to develop more along the way.