When you think of summertime, the picture in your head could be a fun day out catching some rays at the beach, endless hiking, or jaunts around the neighborhood in perfect weather.
And of course, we love our dogs and want to bring them everywhere, so your best activity buddy for all your summer adventures is likely to have four legs and a fur coat. However, just like you cannot stand barefoot on hot asphalt or cement for very long, your dog’s paws are not meant to be in the blistering heat either.
Just because your dog’s paws seem tough doesn’t mean that they don’t feel hot or cold temperatures. Some people think that the pads on the bottom of paws act as shoes but that is far from the truth. In the summer, hot concrete or asphalt can easily burn or crack your dog’s paws.
Areas getting a full blast of the summer’s sun like walking paths, trails, and even the sand at the beach can become unbearably hot for your dog. If you take your dog on long walks and live in a hotter area, you might want to think about dog booties to protect your beloved pooch from burns and cracks in their paw pads and the tremendous pain that comes with them.
What To Look For When Buying Dog Booties?
There are many different choices for buying booties for your dog to prevent them from injuring their paws on the hot pavement. You can test several and decide which ones are the most comfortable and work best for your dog.
Some things you should keep in mind when buying shoes are:
- Size is crucial when purchasing shoes for your dog. Like humans, dogs need to have shoes that properly fit them and they are comfortable wearing.
- They are strong and can protect your pet’s paws from the hot surface. They shouldn’t be too thin.
- Your dog has a good grip while walking and isn’t skidding. Shoes should have a non-skid layer on the bottom.
- They don’t overheat your dog’s paws and are breathable. Air should be allowed to circulate around your dog’s feet easily.
- Not too tight or loose, your pooch should be comfy in their shows. If your dog is uncomfortable, it will be less receptive to wearing the shoes and spend the whole walk trying to get them off.
- To avoid having your dog reject the shoes you buy, look for high-quality shoes that don’t have any hard glue poking up from the inside. Look for flat seams and good stitching instead.
Getting your dog used to wearing booties isn’t as easy as simply putting them on. In fact, the internet is full of hilarious videos of dogs wearing boots for the first time and being so uncomfortable that they forget how to walk!
This is because they don’t fully understand why they have it on and what’s for. Help them ease into wearing shoes by letting them wear them around the house for short periods of time and reward them after every session by giving them a snack.
Never force them to wear something that is uncomfortable and causes them stress. You might want to patiently wait for your pet to be calm and relaxed to put the booties on.
If you see that your dogs is struggling and uneasy, then take them off immediately. Some signs of distress are chewing at paws constantly or not walking in them at all.
5 Best Summer Shoes For Hot Pavement
1. XSY&G Dog Boots
These top-rated doggie boots are a balance of design, comfort, and breathability. They come in a set of four and will protect your dog’s paws from hot surfaces with a strong, anti-slip sole that grips tenaciously onto any surface.
- 【Size】Size 6:（2.9''x2.5'')(L*W) for 52-70lbs.Great for Medium Samoyed;Husky;Labrador;Airedale Terrier;Medium and large Chow Chow etc.Please refer to the picture size chart,You can choose the...
- 【High-quality materials:】 High quality fabrics,wear resistant,to bear or endure dirty, Have cute pet paw embroidery, soft and hand washable, fashionable yet durable.Durable soles,tough anti-slip...
- 【Comfortable:】Soft and breathable to paws，so allows the boots to be used indoors or outdoors, hot and cold in wet and dry conditions.Protection from sharp thorns and hot pavement.Effectively...
- 【Safe and Adjustable:】Easy to put on / off ,the dog shoes are fastened firmly by 2 straps, which are long and adjustable , capable to prevent slipping off and supply a customized tightness for...
- 【Friendly customer service:】Our size is based on the inner diameter of the shoe and is measured by hand,Please allow a little size error.You are welcomed to contact us for any questions about the...
They come in eight different sizes so they’ll be able to accommodate dogs of most sizes. They also have four colors to choose from; black, orange, pink, and leopard, so you can get creative while matching your dog’s booties with a bandana or collar.
The thick rubber soles are excellent as a protective barrier between the hot ground and the paw pads while the breathable sides ensure your dog doesn’t overheat and moisture can be wicked away.
You can easily put these boots on your dog because the boots have a wide opening and can be fastened securely with two Velcro straps that you can adjust for tightness.
Got a dog that loves running in mud and dirt? No problem! These boots are machine-washable which makes cleaning them a breeze.
These short booties will not irritate your dog’s dew claw, but they are not suitable for winter as snow can get in easily. Although these shoes are labeled waterproof, they are more water-resistant than waterproof and they have been known to take in some water.
2. QUMY Dog Boots
These comfortable shoes are made from sturdy, durable materials and have Velcro straps to make sure the boot remains on your dog’s feet no matter how much he or she fusses. In addition, the straps are reflective and give your dog some extra visibility when they are on their walks.
- Please be sure to measure the width of your dog's paws carefully, it is key to choosing the correct size for your dog, weight can only be used as an additional reference; Size 1: 1.7''x2.2''(W*L) for...
- SECURE and ADJUSTABLE: Easy to put on / off. These dog shoes expands with a wide split seam opening and two adjustable and reflective straps to ensure a tight fit, also make your dog safe at night
- RUGGED: Tough anti-slip sole of dog boots provides stability and traction, protection from sharp thorns and hot pavement
- QUALITY: The dog boots have a rugged sole and high quality fabrics that are then sewn together to ensure they are ready for your adventure
- FASHIONABLE: QUMY dog boots are with cute pet paw embroidery, paws side is the outside, soft and hand washable
They come in seven different sizes that will fit most dogs and are waterproof and machine-washable, so maintaining their cleanliness is easy. The tops are made from breathable material so your dog’s paws will stay cool and dry when walking on hot pavements.
The thick, protective sole will keep any sand, grit, and rubble out. One drawback of these boots is that you’ll have to take them off when going through rivers or lakes where the whole boot becomes submerged. Because of their waterproof nature, these boots won’t drain sand and water out easily.
3. EXPAWLORER Dog Boots
These dog boots wrap around your dog’s legs making them more secure and fit better than other doggie shoes. This extended design fits your dog’s natural paws shape and sizes much better which makes the shoes more enjoyable and comfortable for your dog to wear and walk in.
- Size 3: 2.36"x2.05" (L*W). Great for Beagle, etc. Please measure the size correctly before purchasing by checking the video guidance.
- Measurement Instruction: Place and press down the paw on a piece of paper, mark the width and length of the paw and measure the distance. Please follow our video guidance carefully
- Selection Guidance: These size data are boots inside dimensions, and we recommend to choose size according to the width. If your measurement between 2 sizes, please choose the larger one
- Superior Material: Reflective material and skid resistant design provide visibility and safety at night, and waterproof material can keep the paws of your pet dry in rainy day or snowy day
- Comfortable Wearing: Flexible lug design and grooved sole give your dog better control as well as better protection, and the two fasteners straps make the shoes easy to put on and take off
The hook and loop fastener on the shoes will not only keep the shoes on your pet for the whole walk but your dog will be able to run and play in comfort while wearing them. The soles of these boots are made with tough, durable rubber that protects your dog’s paws while walking on hot pavement.
The toe cap design prevents your dog’s nails from getting snagged by something on the surface. However, these boots don’t have an anti-slip bottom and don’t grip as much on certain smoother surfaces like marble or tile.
If you are going on a hike where a scramble over rocks or boulders is necessary, you might need to get something with more grip, especially if you are expecting wet surfaces.
4. LONSUNEER Dog Boots
Made from waterproof and flexible materials, these boots feel much more natural to your dog than shoes with rubber soles, making them ideal for dogs that have never worn dog booties before.
- Upper is made of double-layer breathable mesh fabric, firmly hemmed by soft durable cloth around, with flexible cuffs at the top, capable to keep debris out, and make paws comfortable, cool and dry
- Nonslip, water-proof, and flexible soles, provide traction and protect paws. Practical for dogs during spring, summer and fall
- Very easy and quick to put on, but difficult to slip off if they fit
- Closure control by a wide and adjustable strap, firmly fastens around ankle
- Practicable Reference Size of Small: Inner Sole Length 2.36 inch, Inner Sole Width 2.17 inch. Allowance Error: 0.11 - 0.20 Inch. One set of 4 Boots
The boot’s upper section is made with breathable material and firmly-hemmed seams. If your dog keeps taking his shoes off then the Velcro clasps on these shoes make sure that they are easy to get on but difficult to slip off which is exactly what you need.
These boots are ideal for both indoor and outdoor use as they won’t scratch the hardwood floor. One negative part of these boots is that they aren’t waterproof so you’ll have to watch where your dog wears them and prevent them from getting them wet.
5. Dolebean Dog Shoes
These shoes are made well from soft and durable material which helps protect your dog’s paws from heat and abrasions without making it difficult for them to move around comfortably. The upper is made from breathable netting that keeps the paws cool even on the hottest of days.
- 🐕Waterproof and Flexible- Though the shoes are waterproof, the dog boots can not be applied in deep water or in sands, cause there may be water or fine sand seepage through sewing needle holes.
- 🐕Comfortable and Durable - Dolebean dog shoes made of high quality fabric woven, soft and wearable, keep comfortable and ventilated all day. The tough, non-slip sole provides stability and traction...
- 🐕Non-slip - The dog shoes are made of soft and tough microfiber nylon fabric and durable non-slip insulated soles for efficient insulation performance, effectively increasing insulation in summer...
- 🐕Adjustable Reflective Strap - Dog shoe is designed with adjustable straps, which are easy to put on and take off, capable to prevent slipping off and enable your dog to easily adapt to it. The...
- 🐕Warm tips - At the beginning of wearing, your dog’s walking posture maybe looks a little funny, please let it try a few more times until it can get used to walking in shoes.If you have any size...
In the summer, they protect against the heat, and in winter they can also ward off the cold and ice. Waterproof and easily cleaned, these boots are reflective and will increase your dog’s visibility in low-light conditions. The thick sole prevents any burns to the paw pads on hot days and will keep snow and ice out when the temperatures drop.
Note that these shoes run large, so be sure to size your dog’s paws accordingly and go by dimensions instead of only sizes.
Summertime brings loads of fun but it can also bring certain conditions and dangers that cooler temperatures don’t.
To figure out when you’ll need to break out the booties, try holding the back of your hand against the surface of the route that you are intending to walk. As a general rule, if you cannot keep your hand against the ground for more than seven seconds comfortably, it is too hot for your dog.
Fret not! Just break out the doggy boots to protect your pooch’s paw pads from blisters, cracks, and burns. Be sure to check their paws constantly to make sure it isn’t too hot!