Working out the best dog food for a Maltipoo puppy can be somewhat on the tricky side. The Maltipoo is a dog breed on the smaller side of things.
Smaller dogs require a lot more calories per pound of weight than larger dogs. This is due to the speed at which their metabolism works.
Through in the fact that you are trying to feed a growing puppy, which in itself has its own nutritional requirements, and you really have your work cut out for you.
The smaller amount of food a Maltipoo consumes MUST meet all nutritional needs, including Vitamin and Minerals. If these minimums are not hit, there is a risk to the future health of a puppy.
We have tracked down and reviewed the best food for your Maltipoo puppy.
We will start with a few tips to help you make the right decision. We round out talking about the six of what we believe are the best dog food options on the market for Maltipoo puppy owners.
If you just want the top list, here are our six best dog food options for Maltipoo puppies. Our detailed review below!
Opt for quality brands only
When you are on the hunt for quality food to feed your furry friend, you need to ensure that you stick to the quality, reputable brands. The market price and popularity are correlated to quality. Don’t necessarily buy ultra-premium products unless the reviews back them up. The same goes for budget options – you get what you pay for with puppy good (within reason).
The problem with dog food budget brands is that they are often packed to the brim with filler and low-quality ingredients. This is the last thing a growing pup needs.
Everything that goes into their mouths needs to be nutritionally-dense.
This is doubly true for the Maltipoo. The small stomach and reduced appetite make this vitally important. If you are feeding a Maltipoo food with poor nutritional value, it simply won’t be able to take in enough to give it all of the nutrients. This can lead to all manner of issues.
A balanced diet typically means that no supplementation of vitamins is necessary. If you choose quality food, then all nutritional requirements should be met for an average Maltipoo puppy.
Buy food specially formulated for your pet’s age.
Adult dog food won’t cut it for Maltipoo puppies. Younger animals have different needs than fully grown Maltipoos. They typically need more calories (surprising!) and a more excellent selection of nutrients to ensure that they thrive.
If you are feeding your pet adult food, then there is a chance that they won’t be getting enough energy from that food, and they will certainly not be getting all of the nutrients they need. This may cause several issues for your animal.
When we talk about the best dog food for a Maltipoo puppy, we will give you a couple of ideas on products for various ages. This means that you can go through the list and choose the perfect option for your puppy now.
High-quality proteins only
Protein is absolutely vital for a growing Maltipoo. In fact, it is crucial for a fully-grown animal too. When searching for food for your Maltipoo pup, make sure it includes a decent ‘named’ protein i.e., it shouldn’t say ‘meat by-product’ or ‘poultry.’
If it doesn’t tell you exactly what type of protein is in that food mix, then chances are it is a low-quality food. Look for the following in quality Maltipoo puppy food:
Beef can also be useful, but most of the best puppy foods on the market will include one of those four types of meat.
Remember, protein helps with pretty much every form of ‘growth’ in the body. This includes the coat of your Maltipoo puppy. Of course, other nutrients will play a role in the look of your Maltipoo puppy’s stunning coat, but the protein will perform the most prominent part. It is the building block that everything else works from.
Let’s take a look at some of the best products on the market, shall we?
Best Value Maltipoo Food: Hills Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- This dry puppy food uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development
- Provides your small breed dog with high quality protein for building lean muscle
- Uses a balance of minerals to promote strong bones and healthy teeth
- Uses an antioxidant blend specifically for lifelong immune support in toy and miniature dogs
- Mix up meal time with our convenient, single serve tray Science Diet Puppy Small Paws Savory Stew with Chicken and Vegetables
Hills Science has been designed for dogs over the age of one. Some owners will feed their dog this food from the period of 9-months.
One of the beautiful things about this product from Hills is that it has been specially formulated for smaller dogs, just like the Maltipoo. In fact, it has been designed for dogs that have thicker, longer coats.
Only the highest-quality ingredients are used here, which results in a nutritionally-dense food. This includes Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin E.
Few dog food products on the market contain these ingredients in any sizeable quantity, so it is nice to see them on show in the Hills Science Diet Dry Dog Food. They are vital for dogs that have a thick coat. It is these nutrients that help it to become shiny.
The best part is that this product is surprisingly budget-friendly. A great balance that ensures that your dog has the best diet possible. This famous Maltipoo brand is well worth a trial.
Best Learn Option: Nutro Wholesome Essentials – Lamb and Rice
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food, Lamb & Brown Rice Recipe for large breed puppies up to 18 months old; real lamb is the #1 ingredient
- Made with non-GMO ingredients*; no chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, or soy*
- High quality protein source is the #1 ingredient in the delicious dry kibble
- Supports brain and eye development in your large breed puppy with omega-3 fatty acids like DHA
- Natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin; formulated to support healthy joints.Supports healthy immunity with essential antioxidants.Cooked in our USA facilities with the finest ingredients from...
Next up on our list for the best dog food for a Maltipoo puppy is another product designed for small dogs from the age of one.
The Nutro Wholesome Essentials dog food best feature is the lamb and rice flavor. For an excellent reason too. This is because lamb is absolutely fantastic as a protein. It is rich in nutrients, while also not boasting a massive amount of fat, which would ultimately be unhealthy for your dog.
Low fat, pleasant odor, high nutrient. Tick tick!
If you buy Nutro Wholesome Essentials, you know that you are getting some of the finest dog food on the market too. This product has been produced from grass-fed lambs, all sourced from ethical farms. There is a dash of chicken meal to round out the protein offering and add some extra nutrients, and this chicken is just as high in quality as the lamb. There is no filler here.
Every ingredient packed into this dog food is 100% natural. This means that you know your Maltipoo puppy is getting the best food possible.
For Small Maltipoo Puppies – Iams Proactive Health Mini Chunks
Iams is one of the most popular brands of pet food in the world. This is a company that knows how to correctly formulate their products to ensure that they contain the right ingredients for an animal to thrive.
- Adult Dry Dog Food: Give your dog the nutrition they need in the small kibble size they prefer, with real, farm-raised chicken as the first ingredient to promote strong muscles with premium-sourced...
- Veterinarians Recommend IAMS: This tasty kibble supports healthy digestion with a wholesome blend of fibers and prebiotics, plus antioxidants to support a strong immune system
- Complete and Balanced Nutrition for Adult Dogs: IAMS Dog Food is made with high quality animal protein and no artificial preservatives, flavors or fillers, for complete and balanced nutrition
- Tailored to Your Dog: We carry a full line of foods for your dog's age, size and dietary needs from puppy to adult to mature, small breeds to large, and with recipes to support healthy weight and...
- IAMS Super Premium Dog Food: Choose the nutrition that brings out your dog's best, tailored for their unique needs; Our high-quality, premium recipes are made in the USA with the finest ingredients...
Ethically sourced chicken forms the protein of this dog food mix. On top of this, you have a dash of vegetables to help round out the nutritional blend. The real highlight is that there is nothing artificial here. Here are no additives.
There are no artificial colors or flavors. Absolutely everything that has been packed into the Iams Proactive Health Mini Chunks is beneficial to your animal. This means no ‘empty’ calories. This is pure energy and nutrition for your lovable pup.
This Iams product is much the same as the other products in their dog food range. The difference is that this one has been designed explicitly for a smaller mouth. The chunks are tiny, and this means that they should be easy to eat for a puppy.
Chicken and Rice: Royal Canin X-Small Dry Dog Food
From the age of eight months, your Maltipoo will be able to feast upon this product from Royal Canin.
- FORMULATED FOR MEDIUM BREED PUPPIES: Royal Canin Medium Puppy Dog Food is tailor-made for puppies up to 1 year old with an expected adult weight of 23-55 lb
- HEALTHY ENERGY: Key nutrients meet the high energy needs of medium breed dogs during their short growth period
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: An exclusive blend of antioxidants and vitamins promotes healthy development of immune systems
- BONE AND JOINT: A specialized mineral blend supports bone and joint health
- HEALTHY DIGESTION: Highly digestible proteins and prebiotics promote healthy digestion and optimal stool quality
Chicken and rice are your main ingredients here, with the primary being rice. However, don’t let the ingredient list fool you. There is a lot of protein in here. In fact, 22% of the product’s formulation is protein, with 16% fat. This is perfect for the growing animal.
The ingredients here are not as superb quality. This is mostly due to chicken by-product forming the bulk of the protein. This product is still plenty beneficial to dogs.
It is loaded with nutrients and vitamins that can help your Maltipoo to thrive. This includes added Omega-3 that can ensure that they have the shiniest possible coat. This inclusion is one reason this food makes the top list for Maltipoos (we love a shiny puppy coat!)
Another substantial benefit is the actual small size of the kibble. It is a lot smaller than some of the other offerings here. Some owners in a Maltipoo Facebook group reported this kibble was a little more natural to digest, too (no sloppy problems). So, if you have a Maltipoo that is a picky eater, this option may be perfect for you.
First Puppy Food: Zignature Turkey Dry Dog Food
This is the first dog food on our list that has been formulated for the youngest of pups. If your Maltipoo is ready to move onto solid food, then the Zignature Turkey food maybe your best option.
- Made with high-quality turkey as the #1 ingredient
- Turkey is rich in riboflavin & Selenium
- Smaller kibble for smaller dogs
- Limited-ingredient formula may make this a great option for a rotational diet
- Fortified with probiotics to help support gut health
The main highlight of this product is just how simple the ingredient list is. Things have been kept to the absolute minimum here, which is perfect for puppies.
A lot of them can have trouble digesting overly complicated foods. This is mostly Turkey with a few vegetables thrown in for good measure.
We love Turkey as a base protein due to its high-quality protein to fats ratio. More of the good stuff, less of the bad.
This is a 100% grain-free product, too, so you do not have to worry about your puppy getting sick when they eat it (some puppies are susceptible to grain-heavy products!)
If you want your Maltipoo puppy to have the best possible start in life, this may be something you want to check out.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials – Chicken (Alternative flavor to lamb)
We will wrap up this list with another offering from Nutro. This is the ‘chicken’ flavor of the food. This means that your puppy can enjoy the same benefits of the other Nutro Wholesome Essentials flavors.
- DISCONTINUED BY MANUFACTURER - Recommended Replacement: NUTRO NATURAL CHOICE Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dog Kibble, 13 lb. Bag
Not every dog loves lamb flavoring. Some owners also don’t like the idea of their dog eating lamb. Lamb is an excellent protein source for your Maltipoo – but chicken is a sound alternative with a similar profile of nutrients to the Nutro.
This means a nutritionally-dense product, with no filler. The only difference here is that the protein is chicken. It is still ethically-sourced. It is just that some puppies will prefer chicken over lamb. You may want to find what the best fit for your Maltipoo is.
Check the other ingredients when determining best dog food for Maltipoo puppy
Contrary to popular belief, dogs are not true carnivores. They are a type of omnivore. They can consume and, in some cases, benefit from carbohydrate consumption.
Almost every single puppy food on the market will have some form of vegetables. You just need to check the product packaging to see if there is a right balance of nutrients and minerals. Higher meat content that still hits the nutrients is better and seen in more top end dog foods.
The best puppy foods will list all of the vitamins packed into their products. Look for ‘natural’ vitamins. Your puppy will have a far easier time absorbing them. This is because the intestines in a dog are quite short, which means they can find it challenging to absorb artificial vitamins. It is possible but difficult. It is even harder for a Maltipoo puppy to do.
If the product seems to be laden with artificial colorings, flavorings, and random filler ingredients, you will probably want to give it a skip. This would indicate that it probably isn’t going to be all that great for your Maltipoo. Stick with real natural ingredients where possible.
The size of the kibble
Puppies need smaller kibble, to begin with. Their little mouth can’t cope with adult-sized portions. Ultra tiny Maltipoo puppies sometimes struggle with this. When you have a Maltipoo puppy, that kibble size needs to be even smaller.
This is to ensure your puppy can eat it without actually choking.
If you want fantastic food for your Maltipoo puppy, you have six different options available. Don’t skimp out. There are budget-friendly options that are still constituted of finest quality ingredients. Do your research and cook yourself, or select packaged food from one of our recommendations.
Give your puppy precisely what they need to have an excellent, healthy, and active life.