5 Best GPS Dog Fence Solutions 2023 (Actually Good)
My dog is a runner. Not because he is mistreated, but because he is a Husky and loves to get out and run and run and run. Every time I open the door, I have to make sure he does not try to Houdini his way out of the house or the yard.
Even a tall fence won’t keep him from going to explore and see his pup-friends.
Can you relate?
A good GPS dog fence is critical to the safety of your beloved pet. In addition to safety, it will provide you some peace of mind, knowing that your dog is contained, and in the event they get out, you can track them down without having to run around the neighborhood screaming.
Here we will go through five good options for GPS dog fences.
- Dogtra Pathfinder Series GPS Tracking
- SpotOn Virtual Fence
- PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
- SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainer
- Garmin Alpha 100 Multi-dog Tracking Fence
Dogtra Pathfinder Series GPS Tracking
The Dogtra Pathfinder Series collar is an excellent GPS fence option for those looking for a quality, durable product that won’t cost an arm and a leg. The collar does not require data to operate effectively, making it a great companion for outdoor adventures.
The collar uses GPS to track your dog, but it can also be connected via Bluetooth. It is equipped with an IPX9K rating, proving its water-resistibility.
The collar uses Google maps to assist in keeping track of your dog. Suppose you are going to be adventuring somewhere that has spotty cell service, don’t worry. You can use the Pathfinder app to download maps of your area of operations.
You can then use the product in offline mode, still keeping track of your pet.
The collar weighs less than 1 pound, making it one of the lightest options on the market. A one-year warranty backs this product.
The collar is capable of tracking your dog up to nine miles away! It will send you an updated location of your pet every 2 seconds while it is active. On top of that, the product allows you to create geofences, establishing where your dog can and cannot go.
The collar fits dogs with neck sizes 10-26 inches and up to 35 pounds. The program is capable of tracking up to 22 dogs at the same time!
- Virtually weightless
- Accurate and easy to use
- Does not require data once the app is downloaded
- Only works with the Pathfinder app
- The long antenna that can be broken or chewed on.
SpotOn Virtual Fence
The SpotOn Virtual Fence collar is one of the most robust options on the market. This is mainly due to its incredible battery life. On a full charge, the collar can operate for as long as 24 consecutive hours, providing extended peace of mind.
This collar is on the more pricey side, but I think you will see that the benefits and features outweigh the initial cost. If you are serious about an excellent GPS dog fence, read on.
One very cool feature of the SpotOn Virtual Fence is that it allows the user to create up to 1,000 geofences and up to 10 maps. None of the fences will negatively affect the others, and you can activate and deactivate them as you wish.
SpotOn allows you to track the location of your dog throughout the day as well as see what activities the dog does during the day.
Setting a perimeter is easy. Simply walk the border of the fence you wish to create with the collar in your hand. As you walk, press a button on the collar to save boundaries for the fence.
Once you have walked the perimeter, you’re ready to rock n’ roll.
A one-year warranty backs this product. It is rated for maximum water resistance, making it suitable to use in a pond or swimming. The collar was mainly designed for active dogs and can fit neck sizes of 13 to 24 inches.
The collar features something called “forest mode,” increasing GPS sensitivity if you find yourself in a spot with poor reception.
- Up to 1000 fences and ten maps
- Long battery life
- Easy to use
- Quick to charge
- Quite expensive
PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
PetSafe is a great option if you have a dog like I do, curious and ready to explore. It helps that it is a cost-effective option as well. This collar will give your dog freedom of movement but, at the same time, keep them where you want them.
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: Sets up in just 1-2 hours and creates a circular boundary that covers up to a 3/4-acre yard (22-105 ft in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO DIGGING OR WIRE TO BURY: Sets up in just a few hours; a wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Unlike traditional in-ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- PORTABLE: This portable system is terrific for camping, vacation homes, or anywhere you travel with access to an outlet
- WATERPROOF COLLAR: The waterproof collar comfortably fits small, medium, and large pets 5 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches; compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence...
The kit includes instructions on how to train your dog to maintain boundaries in as little as two weeks. The collar has three different modes for training: sound, vibration, and static modes.
The static mode has seven levels, so use caution and best judgment. Level 7 will be far too much for a small dog who should only be exposed to level 3.
A one-year warranty backs this product. It weighs less than half a pound, so it is incredibly lightweight and perfect for smaller dogs.
Like others, this collar operates wirelessly. So there is no need to bury pesky wires that ends up getting cut, rendering the fence useless. The battery can last up to 2 months, an incredibly long time for an e-collar.
When the batteries start getting low, you will be alerted that it is time to change them.
The fence can keep track of however many pets you have. All you have to do is bet a few extra collars for the other dogs and the same system will contain them.
- Easy to use and quick to learn
- Ultra-long battery life
- Comes with boundary flags for training purposes
- The transmitter requires a power source before it can be activated.
SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainer
SportDOG has created the lightest and most compact GPS dog fence solution on the market, weighing only .11 pounds.
- 500 YARD RANGE: e-collar that can support training up to 3 dogs with the same remote with purchase of additional collars (SDR-AXS). For dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5" - 22"..Product...
- NO LOOK OPERATION: Designed for ease-of-use and no look operation while offering more levels of stimulation which allows for more customized training.
- TONE, VIBRATE, AND STIM: This electric e collar offers 21 levels of static stimulation with medium/high ranges. Option to train with vibration (buzz) and tone (beep), too.
- WATERPROOF: Submersible to 25 feet using DryTek technology.
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Lithium-ion batteries charge in 2 hours and last 50-70 hours per charge. System has low battery indicators.
The collar can accurately track your dog up to 500 yards away. The collar is built with SportDOG DryTek technology, making it an exceptional solution for any weather conditions. Rain, snow, or sunshine, you will always know where your pet child is.
A one-year warranty backs this product. As mentioned above, it is extremely lightweight at only .11 pounds.
The collar features three correction methods: vibration, sound, and static. The static features range from 1 to 21, scaled from low (1) to high (21). Don’t forget to use caution when cranking up the power.
The last thing we want to do is hurt our dog.
The collar has a 500-yard range. This pales in comparison to the nine-mile range of the Dogtra model. However, it can still be a great option if you know exactly where you will be.
The collar can fit neck sizes 5 to 22 inches, making it highly versatile for various dog sizes.
The collar and remote are both equipped with DryTek technology. You can have peace of mind knowing your equipment will work up to 25 feet deep in water. I still wouldn’t recommend taking your dog 25 feet underwater, though.
- Extremely lightweight
- Good water-resistance
- Very accurate
- Only a 500-yard range; there are better range options out there.
Garmin Alpha 100 Multi-Dog Tracking Fence
Garmin makes some of the highest quality GPS equipment on the market for both people and animals. The Garmin Alpha 100 is a must to be included on this list.
- High-Sensitivity GPS with GLONASS. Display size is 1.53 wide x 2.55 high in inches and 3 inch diagonal
- Preloaded TOPO U.S. 100k maps.LED beacon lights and Rescue mode as well as Stimulation levels-Tone and Vibration
- Battery life 20-40 hrs. Display type : transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
- Setup virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert, automatically sends signal to recall
- 1-inch black collar strap, 5-inches standard and 13-inches extended range antennas
The collar and program come with 100,000 provided maps, saving you the hassle of downloading popular maps before using the tracker.
The collar will measure the distance that your dog has walked as well as their speed and activities, giving you well-rounded insight into your dog’s doings.
The collar also has 18 levels of correction methods built-in, allowing you to constantly maintain corrective measures to train your dog and keep them where you want them.
The Garmin features both GPS and GLONASS tracking capabilities. These provide the user with real-time updates of the location of their dog. Not only is the collar accurate, but you can track up to 20 dogs simultaneously.
As previously mentioned, the remote comes with 100,000 pre-loaded maps. The sleek, touch-screen remote allows for easy corrections and adjustments to your Garmin system. It has a good battery life, lasting 20 to 40 hours on a single charge.
- Sleek design
- Fast and accurate
- Track up to 20 dogs
- The long antenna can be damaged or chewed on.
Listed above are options for every budget and activity. If you are looking for something cheap but still effective, there are several options to look into. If you spare any amount to have a reliable and high-quality product, there are options for that as well.
I think that Garmin is the winner for me. I have a lot of experience with Garmin GPS products of all types and have never been disappointed. With their collar, you will get an accurate and highly-effective product, long battery life, and a sizable nine-mile range.