Some dogs are relatively easy to train. Those who are lucky enough to have a mellow, eager-to-please pup know and understand that – and yes, we’re jealous of you.
Other dogs, however, can be incredibly difficult to train. Overly-rambunctious pups might bark, growl, pee where they’re not supposed to, or even bite at times. You may feel like you’ve tried everything; what more can you do?
Dog shock collars serve as excellent training tools that can make it increasingly apparent that their bad behavior will elicit an unpleasant punishment – i.e., a shock.
Today, we’re here to talk about shock collars: what they are, how they work, and which are the best. Our reviews of the strongest dog shock collars can help you decide which is the best option for your disobedient dog.
In a hurry? These are our top 3 strong dog shock collar picks
What is a Dog Shock Collar?
A dog shock collar is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a training device in the form of a collar that features a receiver linked to a remote control. The receiver usually has two protruding metal points that sit against your dog’s skin on their neck.
Meanwhile, you can control the collar via the remote control. When your dog exhibits bad behavior, you can discourage it by sending them a quick shock as a response, followed by a strong command and scolding.
Many dog shock collars feature three settings:
These settings are designed to give you a way to increase your dog’s punishment gradually. Eventually, features such as the beep or vibration can even serve as a warning sign of what’s coming if your dog refuses to listen: the shock.
Additionally, shock collars usually have several levels of shock intensity. For some dogs, it only takes a small zap to get their attention and get them back on track. Other more stubborn, difficult dogs might require a stronger shock.
How to Properly Use a Shock Collar
A dog shock collar can be an incredible training tool to transform your dog’s bad behavior when used properly.
However, far too often, people use shock collars irresponsibly. The shock collar can quickly turn into a destructive, unfair, and even cruel punishment rather than a training tool.
Because we love our dogs – and all dogs, for that matter – we’re going to give you a few essential tips to review before diving into our products.
Start With Traditional Training
Before you even touch a shock collar, you must attempt to train your dog with traditional training methods. If your dog doesn’t have some kind of baseline, he doesn’t stand a chance against the threat of a zap.
Maybe your dog doesn’t entirely listen all the time, but if you can instill a few commands using treats and positive reinforcement, you’ll have a much better time when you use the shock collar.
A few good basics to work on include common commands like come, sit, and stay.
Allow Your Dog to Get Used to the Collar
Shock collars are often heavier and bulkier than standard collars, so they’re going to feel different on your dog. You won’t have any luck training them if they’re distracted or uncomfortable, so be sure to give your dog time to get used to the new collar.
Combine Training Techniques
Shock collars basically only focus on negative response training, but what your dog really wants to do is please you. Using only negative responses, such as vibrations or shocks, isn’t the ideal way to train.
Many people use a combination of negative responses with positive reinforcement. For instance, when your dog doesn’t listen, he gets a buzz. When he does listen, he gets a treat. These far opposite responses make the good and bad decisions very obvious.
You also want your dog to be able to listen to you without the collar. If the only training tool you use is a shock collar, it’s not likely that your dog will listen when he’s not wearing it.
Use the Lowest Intensity Possible
As dog people, we firmly believe that the crime should fit the punishment. And while shock collars are incredibly safe, that doesn’t mean you should be using the highest setting possible.
That being said, you should always use the lowest setting possible.
Most shock collars also have a beep and a vibrate setting. Start with the beep setting and see how your dog reacts to that. If your dog ignores the beep, try using the vibrate setting. If he ignores that, go for the lowest shock level – and so on.
Remember that the goal here is not to hurt your dog, but rather use the unpleasant feeling of a minor shock to correct his bad behavior.
Strongest Dog Shock Collars
Now that you’re a little more informed, it’s a great time to check out some of the most robust dog shock collars on the market today. Keep in mind that all of these collars are perfectly safe for your treasured pet, so feel free to check them out.
Dogtra 1900S E-Collar
- SEAMLESS DESIGN: The 1900S receiver is sleek and slim, which allows the strap to wrap around the receiver and your dog’s neck seamlessly. Its ergonomic design comfortably fits on your dog, making it a versatile choice for all occasions, whether for indoor or outdoor activities.
- IPX9K WATERPROOF CERTIFIED: The 1900S come with a durable receiver that is IPX9K waterproof certified, which means it has passed the International Protection Marking system. Products are verified if they can withstand a close-range high-pressure liquid spray from 4 angles (pressure of 80-100 bars and a temperature of 176°F).
- 3/4-MILE RANGE: The range of this training e-collar is perfect for simple to complex training commands for your dog. With a range of ¾-mile, this e-collar is perfect for serious obedience, hunting, and K-9 training.
- PRECISE CONTROL: With 127 correction levels, you’ll have no problem finding the perfect level for your dog with the gradual and precise correction control. The LCD screen is bright and easy to read while the levels can be adjusted precisely at any time with the Rheostat Dial.
- CORRECTIONS: This e-collar has two different correction types. The first correction type is a Nick (quick ½-second) and the second correction type is a Constant (up to 12 seconds). The e-collar also has a HPP (High Performance Pager) which offers a clear vibration to alert dogs while training. Find the right fit for you and your dog with this dynamic e-collar.
The Dogtra 1900S E-Collar is the perfect shock collar option for the pet parent who takes training seriously. This high-tech piece of equipment is sleek, slim, and easy to use.
The collar itself features quite a tiny receiver compared to other models, making the fit more comfortable for your dog’s neck.
The entire product is completely waterproof as well, so if your dog loves to go for a swim in the neighborhood lake, there’s no need to worry about the collar getting wet.
With this Dogtra model, your remote control will work as far as three-fourths of a mile. It’s ideal for training in large, outdoor areas, and it can even be a suitable device for hunters and hikers.
With a whopping 127 correction levels, there are many options for finding the right level for your dog. You can administer the shocks in two ways:
- Nick: ½ second shock
- Constant: up to 12 seconds
Additionally, you can also switch the collar to vibrate mode, which will get your dog’s attention without the pain of a shock.
- Easy to use
- Numerous level settings to fine-tune settings
- Great Range
- No beep setting
SportDOG 425 Remote Trainer
- Designed for high-drive, more stubborn dogs by offering a higher static stimulation range than the sd-425x
- 500-Yard range e-collar that can support training 3 dogs with the same remote with purchase of additional collars (SDR-AS)
- Choose to train with vibration (Buzz), Tone (beep), or 21 levels of static simulation in either momentary (nick) or continuous.
- Waterproof and submersible to 25 feet using dryer technology
- Lithium Ion, rechargeable batteries feature a 2-hour quick charge, and a low battery indicator lets you know when to charge.Remote Transmitter with antenna - 5.30 inch L X 1.70 inch W X 1.00 inch D
SportDOG is an excellent, well-known brand that hunters especially trust with their dogs, and we do too. Their 425 Remote Trainer is a fantastic tool that anyone can use on any dog to promote good behavior and listening.
The small remote is simple and easy to operate. It has just one dial to adjust the intensity and three buttons for high, medium, or low static stimulation.
The dial includes seven static stimulation settings, along with a vibration mode and a tone mode. The vibration mode simply causes the collar to vibrate, while the other mode triggers an audible beep from the collar.
This rechargeable device has a 500-yard range, making it ideal for long walks, training sessions, camping, hiking, and more. It’s also waterproof up to 25 feet of submersion.
- Simple design
- Several stimulation settings
- Includes beep and vibration
- Fits a wide range of dog sizes
- Tone is very soft
- Shock levels can be inconsistent
Pet Resolve Shock Collar
- 🐾 FANTASTIC NEW UPGRADE SINCE MAY= 4.7* + EXTRA LONG & REMOVE THE SHOCK PRONGS + NO STANDBY MODE ALWAYS READY + ANTI BARK & LIGHT NIGHT MODE! Is your dog misbehaving and you want a well behaved pet with minimal fuss? The Pet Resolve system is the perfect solution to train upto 3 dogs for a range of desirable behaviors. Don't let your dog get side-tracked by other animals or misbehave in public. Teach your canine companion how to act properly with arguably the top training collar on the market!
- 🐾 SUPER LONG RANGE AND MEMORY; forget other dog training collars which use cheap plastic that breaks when you drop it and are designed for small spaces and yards, our e collar dog training system is of the highest quality and has a super long 3/4 Mile range (1312 yards suitable for hunting dogs) for easy outdoor training covering the widest areas! You certainly get what you pay for with training collars and unfortunately most cheap collars won't last long!
- 🐾 VARIABLE SHOCK & VIBRATION LEVELS, ANTI BARK & LIGHT for NIGHT MODE; train up to 3 dogs at once (additional collars required) with up to 10 levels of continuous or momentary shock (hold down button to shock for 1 up to 8 seconds, ideal for emergencies!) vibrations, or beeps, for safe, efficient training, allowing you to teach your dog a range of commands. Sometimes it only takes one click of a button to completely change the behavior of your dog and the vibration button does the job for most!
- 🐾 WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION; does your dog love to run outside or swim? Unlike cheap collars, our training system is completely waterproof (remote splash proof) and can be fully submerged without damage! Most other collars fail in the rain, we provide shock collars dogs can actually swim in all year round! It's worth noting that this collar doesn't go in to standby mode like most, meaning that it's ready to use when you actually need it!
- 🐾 ULTRA LONG LASTING BATTERY & WARRANTY for LARGE, MEDIUM AND SMALL DOGS OVER 15LBS; our training collar is powered by a super high capacity rechargeable Li-ion battery, fully charged in 2 hours (Charge above 32 fahrenheit in the house) , for long lasting training without having to constantly change batteries! You also get a warranty included no questions asked and World Class Customer Service!
If you like clean lines, modern styles, and high-tech gear, then you’ll love the Bousnic Shock Collar for your dog. This collar features an all-white design with an unassuming yet effective electronic receiver.
The entirely waterproof design comes with three modes:
The beep and vibration are pretty standard as far as collars go, while the shock comes with 16 different levels. You can adjust to help better train your dog and suit its individual needs.
The range for this collar is 1,312 feet, so you can keep training and teaching your dog even when they’re not right in front of you. The electric remote is very easy to use with helpful icons that ensure you hit the right button every time.
One of the best features of this collar is that the remote can control two different collars at once. The display screen shows you which channel you’re on so that you can switch between your dogs for simultaneous training.
The screen also displays your battery level and the level of the shock, and its convenient design fits nicely in your hand.
- Long battery life
- Easy and clear controls
- Includes beep and vibration features
- Adjustable levels
- Good range
- Cannot purchase a second collar without a second remote
- No way to tie off excess collar length
Dog shock collars tend to be quite controversial, but that’s typical of people who don’t know how they work or what their purpose is.
Dog collars were never meant to harm a dog. In fact, they’re exceedingly safe. The stimulation that comes from modern-day training collars is not painful, but merely a “shock” to your dog to help train them.
We’ve offered you three different options today – all of which come with our personal blessing. Choose the one that best suits the needs of both you and your dog.