If you have a Labrador, then you want to ensure that they are eating the best food that they can eat. After all, if a dog is eating the right foods, they will be healthier. This means that they live longer lives, free from illness.
Here are the 7 best dry food for Labradors available on the market.
Feeding a Labrador: A Circus of Dry Food Options
Many Labrador owners often purchase the wrong food for their furry friends. This is usually through no fault of their own. Pet supply companies cleverly market their products to show all the benefits – and hide all the problems.
For example, many companies will have you convinced that your Labrador needs wet food to be healthy. They do not. We don’t need to waste our money on bad food! Wet food is up to 75% water, and thus not very nutritionally dense (Choice Research). Your Labrador only needs to eat quality dry food (or homemade wet meals).
What we will tell you, however, is that some foods are far better than others. Even spending a few extra dollars can mean the difference between your dog getting the right food and something that is sorely lacking what your Labrador needs to thrive.
Before diving into the best 7 dry dog foods for Labradors, we want to tell you precisely what standards these quality dry dog foods meet.
Labradors need the right selection of nutrients and minerals to thrive. The best dry dog foods on the market will have been carefully balanced to ensure they provide your dog with everything they need.
Remember, the exact nutrients your dog requires will change as they get older. A Teacup Goldendoodle puppy will have different requirements than a giant Bernedoodle. This means that you should always ensure that you are picking up the right product for your pet.
Dogs love food, but they need it to taste good too. You want your Labrador to be more than happy to feast upon their nutritious meal.
Food should come from nature, not from a test tube. Natural dog foods contain no additives. This means that there is nothing that could have a significant impact on your dog’s health.
Meat Meat, Meat Meat
Meat heavy products mean that they contain many more natural nutrients, and they just taste a lot better. Dogs are omnivores, but the majority of their diet needs to be meat and protein.
Let’s take a look at what we genuinely believe are the 7 best dry dog foods for Labradors.
#1 Labrador Dry Food Recommendation: Wellness Core Large Dog Food Breed
Labradors are a reasonably large breed, so we will kick start this list with our ‘Top Recommended’ product. This is suitable for adult Labradors (i.e., fully grown dogs). It is especially brilliant for highly active dogs.
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR LARGE BREED DOG'S BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of the nutrients your large breed dog needs to thrive
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat ingredients
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY SKIN AND COAT with guaranteed levels of omega fatty acids from ingredients such as flaxseed and salmon oil
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
There are no fillers or artificial ingredients in this product. This means that there are no grains to ‘pad out’ the ingredients list. Absolutely everything packed into this dry dog food will be beneficial to your Labrador in some way.
This product is high in meat content. So, not only does your dog get to enjoy the delicious flavor of the chicken and turkey mix, but they can also enjoy the amount of protein-packed into each and every bit of kibble. 45% of this food is protein, which can help support healthy growth in the dog and provide them with the energy they need to live a happy life.
The Wellness Core dry dog food has several other ingredients added, including Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, to benefit your dog in even more ways. This includes a healthier coat and a more robust immune system.
If you want one of the best dry dog foods on the market for adult Labradors, then this is the route to go down.
Royal Canin Labrador Retriever
This dry food from Royal Canin is one of only a few products on the market that has been specially formulated for Labrador Retrievers. It can be eaten by any Labrador over the age of fifteen months, which means that this is a food that can carry them right into adulthood.
- Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Labrador Retrievers 15 months and older
- Exclusive donut-shaped kibble designed specifically to help large breed Labrador Retrievers chew and eat food slowly
- Helps maintain ideal weight with precise calorie and fat content tailored for the Labrador Retriever breed
- Supports bone & joint health with EPA, DHA, and glucosamine to support large, strong bodies
- Reinforces the skin barrier with essential nutrients to support healthy skin and dense undercoats
You will be surprised at how much thought has gone into the design of this dry dog food. We are not just talking about the ingredient list either. You will notice that the kibble is a donut shape. This is supposedly good for slowing down the speed that your dog eats at.
As we said, every part of this food has been designed for a Labrador. This means that if your furry friend is eating this food, they will maintain a healthy weight. It also gives them the nutritional tools they need to feel energetic and have a strong immune system.
If you have an adult Labrador, then this product is highly recommended. Dogs seem to love the taste of it.
Hill’s Science Large Breed
If your veterinarian says that your dog needs to trim down their weight or watch what they are eating for health reasons, then Hill’s Science Large Breed dry dog food may be the perfect option for you.
- An adult dry food with 18% lower calories vs. Science Diet Large Breed dogs
- A light dog food with L-carnitine to promote ideal body weight, support healthy mobility and a healthy heart
- Keeps your large dog satisfied between meals with high-quality protein and natural fibers
- Nourishes your big dog's skin and supports a shiny coat with omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
This product offers 18% fewer calories than competing dry dog foods on the market. Despite this, it is nutrient-dense, ensuring that your dog enjoys high energy levels while ensuring that they never feel hungry. In fact, despite boasting fewer calories than competitors, this product can help your dog feel a lot fuller between meals.
This Hill’s dry dog food is made from real chicken meat combined with barley. This should provide your dog with everything that they need to thrive.
You will also find that Hill has added several ingredients to the dog food to help with Labrador weight management while also ensuring that your dog is consuming the nutrients they need. This includes the addition of L-Carnitine. This nutrient has been proven to help with weight management while also supporting a healthy heart.
Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Food
If you have a growing Labrador puppy, you want to ensure that you provide them with all the food resources they need to grow up healthily. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed puppy food may be just the ticket here.
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Brand Large Breed Dry Puppy Food, Chicken & Rice Formula
- Made with high-quality protein, including real chicken as the #1 ingredient
- Natural sources of glucosamine help support his developing joints and cartilage
- DHA from fish oil helps to nourish brain and vision development
- FOCUS Chicken & Rice formula has a new look and product name coming soon. May receive either bag during the transition.
A chicken and barely mix form the base of this food. Of course, your puppy is going to absolutely love the taste of this. However, the most important thing is that the chicken provides a lot of protein. Larger breeds tend to grow incredibly quickly, and for this, they need a lot of protein in their diet. Far more than what they will need as an adult. This is why it is so vital that you purchase an actual puppy food if you are raising a Labrador puppy. It is the only way to avoid stunting their growth.
Glucosamine has been added to the mix to help support the puppy’s ligament and bone growth. Again, ensuring that they grow up to be friendly and healthy.
To cap it off, this product also contains various probiotics that can aid the puppy with their digestion and ensure that the immune system is excellent and robust. Basically, this food will help set your dog up for a lifetime of being healthy.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein
This dry food offering from Blue Buffalo is available in salmon, duck, and chicken flavors. This means it shouldn’t be too difficult to find the perfect tasting kibble for your Labrador.
- PACKED WITH REAL SALMON: A recipe made to satisfy your dog's natural love for meat this high protein dog food features real salmon to help build and maintain lean muscle mass.
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult dog food is made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas to help fuel your adult dog's active lifestyle. Plus it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits , a precise blend of antioxidants vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Salmon
Of course, since dogs are omnivores, the meat content isn’t enough for a healthy diet. Luckily, Blue Buffalo has your dog covered. This grain-free product is packed with sweet potato and peas to give your dog the rest of the nutrients that they need.
This product has been specially designed to contain a bit more protein than competing products on the market. The result will be a dog with the resources to support healthy muscle growth while also giving them the energy they need to enjoy their day-to-day life.
The real highlight, however, is the addition of Blue Buffalo’s ‘Lifesource Bits.’ While the company does keep the exact ingredient composition of this a secret, we can tell you that it is 100% natural. Lifesource Bits are designed to give your dog a nutrient and vitamin boost. These Lifesource Bits contains everything that the other ingredients do not. This includes powerful antioxidants and nutrients to help boost your dog’s immune system. This means that your dog will be healthier.
Your dog will absolutely love tucking into this food too. Since it only uses natural ingredients and a unique blend of them, dogs tend to absolutely love the flavor. They probably also enjoy the fact that they get everything that they need to ensure their life in this food too.
This dry dog food is perfect for adult Labradors.
Eukanuba Large Breed
This Eukanuba Large Breed dry dog food is designed for dogs over fifteen months and weighing up 55lbs. This means that it should be suitable for most Labradors.
- Eukanuba adult large breed dry dog food is complete and balanced nutrition for large breed dogs 15 months or older, weighing over 55 pounds
- Promotes lean muscle development and joint health in active adult dogs with a combination of animal protein, chondroitin sulfate, and 50% more glucosamine vs. Eukanuba Adult Medium Breed
- Helps keep dogs sharp and supports healthy brain function with DHA and vitamin E
- Fuels an active lifestyle with optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates
- High-quality chicken is the first ingredient for protein that powers their day
As with all of the dry dog foods on this list, chicken is at the heart of the ingredient list and provides a good deal of the protein in this kibble. You will actually find more protein in this product than most other dry dog foods on the market. You will also find that there will be more carbohydrates. This is important because Labradors tend to be a lot more active than other dog breeds, and they need the energy that the protein and carbs provide.
The addition of chondroitin sulfate and also the high dose of glucosamine promote healthy joint and bone growth. It can also help to speed up healing in the event of injury. Both of these ingredients come from natural sources.
To cap it off, there is also a healthy dose of extra Vitamin E and DHA. These can help to support healthy brain development in your dog. This can help to keep your dog nice and sharp, even in their twilight years.
Holistic Blue Buffalo
We will round off this list of the best 7 dry dog foods for Labradors with Holistic Blue Buffalo. This product has been specially developed for dogs that may not be in the most excellent health and may need a little bit of a boost to their immune system. However, there is nothing to say that this kibble cannot be eaten by any adult Labrador looking for natural and holistic health.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real lamb helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus, they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains No chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Healthy Weight Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice. Calorie Content: 3,699 Kcals/kg, 407 Kcals/cup
This product is available in various flavors (lamb, chicken, salmon, etc.) combined with multiple grains and vegetables. This means that there will almost certainly be a flavor in the Holistic Blue Buffalo product range that your dog will absolutely love. Remember what we said at the start? Taste is a good signifier of a decent product.
Everything in this product is natural, which means your dog will find it easier to absorb the nutrients, which really helps when it comes to improving their health.
Once again, Blue Buffalo has packed a product with its Lifesource Bits. These are formulated in conjunction with animal nutritionists to ensure that the Labrador and other large breeds of dogs get all of the nutrients that they need.
Which Dry Labrador Dog Food is Right for You?
Honestly? Anyone of these 7 dry dog foods is going to be suitable for your Labrador. Just make sure that you choose one that is suitable for your dog’s age. You should never feed a puppy adult dog food. It will hamper their growth. Choose puppy specific dog foods.
If you are unsure which dry dog food is ideal for your pet, stick with our recommended choice of Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Large Breed, 26-Pound Bag. Nearly every Labrador loves it. Unless your dog needs a highly specific diet (i.e., to help deal with certain illnesses or reduce their weight), this should probably be your ‘go-to’ food.
If your Labrador doesn’t wolf the whole bowl every time, then you can check out a couple of the other dry dog foods recommended.