The idea of somebody breaking into your home and stealing your precious, sentimental items isn’t something that anybody wants to think about.
But, whether you live on your own or have a family to protect, preventing a home intrusion is an important eventuality to be covered for.
Home invaders are sneaky, though. No matter how good you think your current alarm system is, there’s a chance that the person trying to break into your home has encountered it before and knows exactly how to silence it before it starts up.
They may have even found details online of how to deactivate your alarm system before they even arrive.
However, you can outsmart a home intruder by using a barking dog alarm.
These work by producing a highly realistic barking noise that makes the invader believe there is a vicious dog on the premises and will send them running before they attempt to break-in.
There are loads of barking dog alarms to choose from, which can make finding the right one for your needs a little tricky.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help. Below you’ll find our pick of the best barking dog alarms, along with a super useful buyer’s guide that’s got all the information you need to help you find the perfect alarm for your home.
Table of Contents
Let’s kick things off by taking a look at the Rex Plus Barking Dog Alarm from Safety Technology International.
This alarm couldn’t be easier to use and, unlike most house alarms, there isn’t a complicated or expensive installation process. Instead, simply plug it into an electrical outlet and switch it on.
By being able to plug it into an electrical outlet, you’re able to better control the areas that you fear an intruder may come in from.
It can even sense movement through walls and doors, which makes it ideal for preventing a burglary before it’s happened.
The alarm works by detecting movement across a 300ft range and, when it senses this, the barking noise will startup.
It also becomes more threatening the closer an intruder gets to the alarm, as the barking will increase in speed and intensity.
You’ll get 24-hour protection from this barking dog alarm and you don’t even have to worry about it going off when you’re at home. This is because you can switch it from ‘barking’ mode to ‘nature sounds’, so when it senses you’re nearby it’ll create soothing sounds rather than scaring you.
All you need to do is remember to switch the mode back when you’re leaving your home.
- Easy to install – simply plug this barking dog alarm into an electrical outlet and you’re good to go
- Senses movement across 300ft – starts barking as soon as it senses movement and it can even sense movement through doors and walls
- Increases the threat – the barking becomes more intense and frequent the closer an intruder gets to the alarm
- 24-hour protection – can be left plugged in at all times, and can be switched from ‘barking’ mode to ‘nature sounds’ when you’re at home
- Cannot be deactivated remotely – this means that you can’t trigger the alarm when you’re away from home
- Barking dog alarm
- Place in any location indoors where you want to detect movement
- Plugs into any standard electrical outlet
- Reliable 24 hour protection
- The closer an intruder gets the more frequent the barking
This Barking Dog Alarm from S SELDORAUK is a multi-functional alarm system that offers you loads of features.
Not only can it be used as an alarm that produces a realistic dog barking sound, but it can also be used as a doorbell that will sound as soon as it senses movement.
This makes it great for preventing a home invasion when you’re away, as well as letting you know when anybody is approaching your property when you’re at home.
It has a huge 1000ft working range, so it’s an ideal choice for larger properties and you can choose to have a set number of sensors and receivers.
It’s also suitable for indoor and outdoor use and has a waterproof construction that allows it to keep working perfectly even in the worst weather conditions.
This barking dog alarm also gives you the option to create an LED flashing light alongside the barking noises when it senses an intruder. This acts as a further deterrent, and the person trying to get access to your property risks being seen.
Silencing the alarm once it’s been triggered is easy. All you need to do is use the included remote control or the easy-access button on the side of the alarm itself.
You can also use the remote control to adjust the volume of the alarm and test that it’s working properly before you leave your home.
- Multifunctional – can be used as a barking dog alarm when you’re away from home, and as a motion-activated doorbell when you’re at home
- 1000ft sensor range – ideal for protecting larger properties
- Multiple sensors and receivers – allows you to create the perfect home security system by installing as many sensors and receivers as you need
- 3 working modes – you can choose between an LED flashing light, barking noise only, and a combination of both
- Remote control – can be used to silence the alarm, adjust the volume, and test that it’s working
- Takes longer to install – this barking dog alarm uses sensors and receivers that need to be placed away from each other, which means it takes a little longer to set up than a stand-alone alarm
- 8 Doorbell Ring Chimes (Less is More): Three Dog Barking sounds;1x Generally Alarm; 1x Welcome;1x Ding Dong;2x Melody; 4 Volume level (The maximum volume can reach to 110db); The special dog barking...
- Working Range: 1000Ft at open area with open antenna and it’s suitable for 0~200 m² to use; With waterproof building, It’s suitable for indoor/outdoor use; double-sided sticker or screw can be...
- 3 Working Modes: LED Flashing Light; Sounds; Sounds+LED Flashing Light; Choose the one you like
- Multiple Possibilities: Components are factory paired for your convenience, so you can choose N Sensors + N Receivers for your extra needs
- Buy with Confidence: 1 year warranty and friendly customer service!
If you’re concerned that a barking dog alarm may not seem loud or realistic enough, think again! The Waytronic Motion Activated Barking Dog Alarm is extremely loud and is powerful enough to be heard from 30-meters away.
This gives it the realistic effect of a large dog barking from close by, and will certainly give any home invader second thoughts about breaking in.
There are two playback modes to choose from – single cycle and order playback, giving you the opportunity to create the most realistic barking sound possible.
You can even upload your own MP3 files using a flash drive, allowing you to amp up the realism even more.
It has a 5-meter, 120º detection range as well as a 60º induction angle. This means that it’s virtually impossible for anybody to get past the sensor without triggering the alarm. It’s super easy to install too, and can simply be plugged into an electrical outlet.
On the side of this barking dog alarm, you’ll find volume control buttons along with every other control you need to create a personalized alarm system.
It is also available in two colors, white and black, so you can choose to make it visible or keep it less obvious. This is good if you’d like to install a barking dog alarm without drawing attention to it.
- Loud & realistic – produces a barking dog noise that can be heard from up to 30-meters away
- Upload your own sounds – allows you to upload MP3 files using a flash drive to create a personalized alarm
- Impossible to get past – Has a 5-meter, 120º detection range with a 60º induction angle
- Easy to install – simply plugs into a standard electrical outlet
- Two color choices – choose the white color to make it stand out and act as a further deterrent, or choose black to keep it better concealed
- Indoor use only – this barking dog alarm isn’t waterproof, so it cannot be installed outside your property
- LOUD SPEAKER-The motion detector will be actived an playback the sound when someone is detected.Reliable 24 hour protection. Loud voice broadcast, you are able to hear the sound within 30...
- EASY TO REPLACE SOUND- You can freely replace the sound files via USB flash drive. You can record the audio files as mp3 file onto a standard SD card and download them to the internal memory.（You...
- TWO PLAYBACK MODES FOR YOU CHOICE--Replay function of single cycle or order playback. The sensor speaks clearly and loudly enough for all to hear.
- WIDELY APPLICATION- The Construction Site for safety reminder, Station for voice broadcast, Supermarket/Shopping mall for voice advertising, Exhibits/Tradeshows for product publicity,Home safety.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT- If you have any question when use our modules, please feel free to send a message to us. We will provide technology supports to you within 24 hours. Our company is original...
This Virtual K9 Barking Dog Alarm from StreetWise uses a microwave signal that can pick up on movement that’s coming from behind walls and doors.
Working over a 10ft detection range, this makes it perfect for installing near your property’s entrances.
It’s really easy to install as well. All you need to do is plug it into a standard electrical outlet and it’s ready to go.
The included AC adapter gives you the ability to keep it on all day long, which is ideal when you’re going on vacation.
You don’t need to worry about making sure you have an available electrical outlet to plug it into either, as it can also be powered using batteries.
There are three modes to choose from as well – a barking dog, chime, and alarm.
This gives you the ability to turn it into a motion-activated doorbell when you are at home, alerting you to anybody approaching your property without having to use the barking dog function.
You can easily switch through 8 volume levels up to 120dB to create a more realistic sound when you’re away from home using the buttons located directly on top of the alarm.
You can also do this using the included remote control, which has a 50ft range. The remote control can also silence the alarm or activate it remotely during an emergency.
- Microwave signal – can sense motion behind walls and doors up to 10ft away
- Easy to install – plug into an electrical outlet using the included AC adaptor or insert 3 x AA batteries
- Three modes – lets you choose between a barking dog sound and an alarm, as well as a doorbell chime that can alert you to a potential intruder when you’re at home
- Adjustable volume – create the most realistic sound and noise level with adjustable volume up to 120dB
- Remote control – includes a remote control that can be used to silence the alarm or activate it from up to 50ft away
- Smaller detection range – only has a 10ft detection range which means an intruder has to get fairly close to your property before the barking starts
- Contents: Streetwise Virtual K9, Remote with battery, Instructions, AC Adapter and a Dog Warning Sign.
- Contents: Streetwise Virtual K9, Remote with battery, Instructions, AC Adapter and a Dog Warning Sign.
- Wireless remote control to arm/disarm the unit, change the sound mode, or activate the panic alarm in case of an emergency.
- The microwave signal can "see" through walls and detect someone approaching from over 10 feet away. Long range remote control (50+ feet also works through walls).
- Powered by an AC adapter (included)or 3 AA batteries (not included) for temporary use during a power outage. Measures 6 x 5.75 x 3.75 inches..
This Electronic Barking Watchdog from Safety Technology International is capable of providing 24-hour protection against home invaders.
It’s easy to set up as well and only needs to be plugged into a standard electrical outlet to start working.
You can even use 8 x AA batteries to power it which is ideal if you’re planning to install it outdoors, or if you’d like some backup protection during a power outage.
It has a motion sensor with an adjustable sensitivity between 10ft – 20ft. This allows you to create the perfect detection range for your property.
It can also sense motion coming from behind walls and doors, which drastically reduces the risk of an intruder trying to enter the property.
The realistic barking dog noise is ideal for deterring people away from your home, and you can also choose an alarm sound if you want to add an extra layer of security.
When you’re at home, you can switch the alarm to ‘chime’ mode, and it will act as a motion-activated doorbell.
Again, this is great for keeping your home and your family safe as it will let you know somebody is approaching but means you don’t have to sound an alarm.
It also comes with a remote control that can be used to silence the alarm or activate it when you fear somebody is trying to break into your home. The volume can also be adjusted using the remote control.
- Easy to set up – plug into a standard electrical outlet or use 8 x AA batteries
- Adjustable motion range – Can be adjusted to sense movement from a 10ft – 20ft range, and can sense movement through walls and doors
- 3 modes – use the barking mode or alarm mode to deter intruders when you’re away from home, and switch the ‘chime’ mode to create a motion-activated doorbell when you’re at home
- Remote control – can be used to adjust volume levels, silence the alarm, and trigger it when you think somebody is approaching
- Warranty – comes complete with a 1-year warranty
- Limited microwave signal – this alarm cannot sense movement behind walls or doors that are made of steel, brick, or cement.
- Switch from the barking dog to alarm or chime
- Comes with a wireless remote control to allow you to arm/ disarm the unit from a distance as well as sound a panic alarm in case of emergency
- Radar sensitivity is adjustable from 10-20 feet Senses movement through walls and doors to alert you of an arriving visitor.
- Reliable 24-hour Protection with none of the problems of owning a real dog
- IMPORTANT: Cannot see through doors or walls constructed of steel , Brick or Cement Walls
Best Barking Dog Alarm Buyer’s Guide
Buying a barking dog alarm might seem like a straightforward enough task, but there are some important things to look out for when you’re making your decision.
Below, we’ve put together a list of key points to consider when you start shopping.
Giving a little extra thought to these will help you find the best barking dog alarm the first time around and, ultimately, save you time and money in the process.
The first, and arguably the most important thing you need to look for when you start shopping for a barking dog alarm is its range. This refers to how far away a potential intruder is before the alarm goes off.
If you’ve got a larger property, it’s usually a good idea to go for a barking dog alarm with a larger motion-range (1000ft, for example) as this will deter them from coming any closer to the property.
However, if you have a smaller property or live on a street with lots of foot traffic, a barking dog alarm that has a wider range of motion will sound off at anything that goes past it!
In this case, it’s a good idea to choose one that has a range of 300ft – 10ft, depending on how big the perimeter of your property is.
The same thing goes for the induction angle. The wider this is, the more effective the alarm will be at triggering when it senses movement.
An induction angle of around 60º is ideal, as this will make it practically impossible for anything to get past the alarm with it sounding.
One of the best things about barking dog alarms that they are super simple to install. Most of them don’t need to be installed by a professional, and they can just be connected to an electrical outlet and switched on.
While this is great, it’s also worth looking into whether or not the barking dog alarm you’re thinking of buying has battery back-up too.
This will give you extra peace of mind that, in the event of a power failure, the alarm will continue to work until the power is restored.
It’s also a good idea to think about whether you’ll be happy with a stand-alone alarm system, or if you would prefer a system of receivers and sensors that are placed in and around your property.
Stand-alone barking dog alarms are better for smaller homes, but you may need to purchase a couple if you’ve got multiple entrances.
Those that use sensors and receivers are better suited for larger properties where a home intruder could enter the property from several different places.
We know that barking dog alarms are great for deterring intruders when you’re not at home. But when you are, you don’t necessarily want to hear a barking dog every time the alarm senses you walking past it.
Of course, you could just switch the alarm off, but there is a risk that you might forget to switch it on again when you leave.
With this in mind, it’s worth looking for a barking dog alarm that offers multiple modes. This will let you switch from the barking dog noise to something more pleasant, such as nature sounds, without having to turn the alarm off.
Many barking dog alarms also allow you to switch them into ‘doorbell’ mode when you’re at home. This means that you’ll be able to leave the alarm on, but still know if somebody is approaching the property.
Some will also let you choose between different alarm sounds, so if you would prefer to switch to a traditional alarm sound you’ll have the option to do it without having to purchase a new system,
Lots of barking dog alarms come with a remote control and this is useful in a few ways. First of all, you’ll be able to silence the alarm if it goes off when you’re at home without having to get up and do it manually.
You can also use a remote control to adjust the volume of the barking sound. So, if you fear an intruder is trying to get in, you can turn the sound up to make it seem as though the dog is getting more aggressive.
A remote control can also be used to activate the alarm in an emergency situation. Let’s say that you’ve spotted an intruder approaching your property before they have come into contact with the alarms motion-sensor range.
Setting it off early will stop them in their tracks and deter them from coming any further towards your home.
Some barking dog alarms come with extra features that don’t only offer you more safety but give you some extra value for money too.
One of the best extra features is the ability to upload your own sound files to your alarm through a flash drive.
This means that you can record a conversation and use this as your alarm sound, giving the intruder the illusion that you’re at home.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a barking dog alarm?
A barking dog alarm works in the same way as most other household alarm systems.
However, instead of creating a traditional alarm sound, they give off a realistic illusion that a dog is barking inside the property.
They are also much easier to install and generally cheaper than traditional alarm systems.
Do barking dog alarms work?
Yes! Barking dog alarms work and they are a great way of deterring any potential intruders from trying to enter your home.
This is because they give the illusion that an aggressive dog is waiting inside the home, rather than relying on a traditional alarm sound.