Technology improves rapidly, and quality brands have evolved their pet doors to meet a smart home’s modern needs. Luckily the technology can be standalone and off the wi-fi grid, allowing security and reliability.
With electronic dog doors you get all the benefits of a traditional dog door without any of the pitfalls.
App technology now allows us to control smart dog doors. Even better is that RFID collars are more responsive and accurate, allowing only approved pets VIP access to the house.
Do you want a dog door but want to control the times that the dog can enter or exit? IF you just want to see the best recommendations – these are the four best options to meet almost every need.
Check out the pricing and reviews on Amazon or see our detailed breakdown below to find out which is right for you.
Your guide to finding out which app-controlled dog doors offer the best features as well as reliability and durability.
Pets, especially dogs, love to get out of the house for plenty of things. For example, your dog may want to go out to do their business, outdoor eating, or even for taking a small stroll around your house.
However, you may have to get up time and again to let them out. Moreover, even when you’re out, you’ll have to ask someone to look after your dog.
Now, as technology has advanced, app-controlled dog doors have come to the rescue!
Are you curious about them? Well, let’s dig in!
What Is an App-Controlled Dog Door?
Before we talk about the best dog doors, it is essential to know what exactly are app-controlled dog doors.
Here’s everything you need to know.
What Are App-Controlled Dog Doors
Just as the name suggests, app-controlled dog doors allow you to control the door’s movement with the help of apps on your smartphone. Along with it, they also let you customize other things for your flexibility and comfort.
For example, whenever you’re watching your favorite Netflix show, and your dog wants to go out for their potty time, you might have to get up and open the door for them. Now, this can get very inconvenient, especially if you had a tiring day.
You can use the remote to open or close the dog door while sitting on the couch and relaxing in such a situation. There is no longer a need to get up from sitting to let your dog in or out.
Apart from the simple door movement, app-controlled dog doors also have other features and benefits. Let’s take a look at them.
Features of an App-Controlled Dog Door You Need to Look Out For
Some of the features you need to look for before you buy any app-controlled dog door are:
- Suitable For Any Size of Dog
One of the most essential features you need to look out for is the dog door size.
If you have a big dog and the door is too small to accommodate them, then you’ll be at a considerable loss. Moreover, our dog may start getting anxious, trying to get out of it.
So, always try to find a dog door that can easily accommodate all dogs’ breeds and sizes!
- Supports Microchip Collars
One of the most likable things about the best app controlled dog door (and RFID dog doors) is that they only allow your pet to get inside the door.
Sometimes, you may go out of the house and come home to see your dog growling at a stray cat invader! Unwanted animal guests can undoubtedly create a tremendous undesired mess.
However, the best app controlled dog doors come with sensors with signals such as RFID signals. If the RFID information of your dog’s microchip collar matches that of the door, then only the doors open.
So, you need not have to worry about intruders!
- Allows You to Set Curfews and Timers
You may wonder that this door will allow your dog to go out at any time, suitable or unsuitable, without your permission.
However, what if you’re allowed to set a particular timer and curfew for the door to open or close? Well, it is quite possible.
Many app-controlled dog doors allow you to set curfews during any time of the day. For example, whenever it is bedtime, you can select when the dog doors don’t open. So, your dog won’t be able to go out unnecessarily to howl or anything.
- Checks How Many Times Your Dog Came In and Out
The best feature of an app-controlled dog door is that you can record and keep track of how many times your dog went out and came in.
This particular feature is beneficial whenever you feel like your dog may be going through some rough times. So, you can check the frequency and give the vet this helpful information.
Thus, make sure you look for these features before buying any app-controlled dog doors for your pet companion!
Benefits of an App-Controlled Dog Door
An app-controlled dog door has benefits for both the owner and the dog.
So, if you’re confused about whether to go for a dog door or not, check out some of these benefits to make a final decision!
Benefit One – Your Convenience
One of the best benefits of an app-controlled dog door is the convenience that comes with it for you.
You don’t have to get up at ungodly hours to let your dog out for their potty business. Even while binge-watching and chilling, you don’t have to get up to open the door for your dog!
Benefit Two – No Door Damage
Your dog may scratch your dog time and again to be let out. Due to this, they may end up damaging the appeal of your house’s door with scratches and claw marks.
However, when you have a dog door installed, you don’t have to worry about your dog damaging the main entrance again.
Benefit Three – Fewer Potty or Peeing Accidents Inside the Home!
How many times have you had to clean the poop and pee of your dog because they couldn’t control themselves? Well, we are guessing quite a lot of times.
If that’s the case, then using dog doors can rectify this problem. You can immediately open the door for them without having to get up. Thus, fewer such accidents in the house and less work to do!
Benefit Four – No Intruders
As mentioned above, with the help of RFID collars, your dog will be the only animal allowed to enter the door.
So, you don’t have to worry about a stray dog or other animal coming inside your house and fighting with your dog.
Benefit Five – Freedom for Your Dog
Freedom is the one thing dogs crave the most. So, by installing dog doors, you’re allowing them to go out and come inside quickly without disturbing you repeatedly.
Moreover, if your dog is active, they can simply get out of the door and exercise! This way, they stay fit without putting in any extra effort.
Benefit Six – Fewer Medical Problems
If your dog is quiet, they may not want to disturb you when you’re busy. In this condition, they may end up holding pee and poop.
Sometimes, holding the bladder can get quite harmful for your dog and cause additional medical problems.
However, with the help of an app-controlled dog door, your dog can easily go out without having to control their bladder! These work perfectly in tandem with a self draining dog toilet or porch potty.
Benefit Seven – Keeping Track of Your Dog’s Movements
App-controlled dog doors also allow you to track the number of times your dog went and came in.
This information can definitely help when you feel like your dog is a little under the weather. Additionally, it can also help your vet to diagnose the problem.
So, as you can see, app-controlled dog doors have plenty of benefits!
Now, let’s talk about the best app controlled dog doors.
The Best App-Controlled Dog Doors (and RFID Dog Doors)
Due to the rising popularity of dog doors, you will find various kinds of dog doors in the market today.
However, we have made a list of the four best app controlled dog doors for you.
Top Choice: SureFlap Microchip Pet Door – The Best App-Controlled Dog Door
Where to Buy: Amazon
SureFlap is undoubtedly the best app controlled dog door out there for small dogs.
- Smart app-controlled microchip pet door
- SureFlap Hub required (sold separately)
- Lock/unlock the pet door remotely and change curfew times
- Monitor your pet's long-term activity and spot changes
- Suitable for Cats and Small dogs
Firstly, this door comes in a sleek and minimalist design suitable for almost every type of furniture out there.
Additionally, it also comes with the best of the features. For instance, you can easily lock or unlock the door with the help of the Sure Petcare app. Moreover, you can also set a curfew for your dog.
In case you want to check the number of times your dog went out, you can check that too. It can also help keep the intruders out, as it is suitable with different types of identification microchips, including RFID tags!
So, we definitely recommend getting the SureFlap Microchip pet door.
Note: SureFlap comes without a SureFlap hub required for the door. So, you will have to buy that too.
Best RFID – Petsafe Electronic SmartDoor – Best Microchip Door For Large Dogs
Where to Buy: Amazon
If you have a large dog, then Petsafe Electronic SmartDoor is the perfect dog door for your pet. It comes in two sizes, so depending on your dog, you can choose one.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR PET’S ACCESS: The SmartDoor features programmable selective entry, exit and auto-locking options
- PEACE OF MIND: The SmartDoor works with the waterproof SmartKey worn on your pet's collar; only the pets wearing the SmartKey can go in and out
- MULTIPLE PETS: Great for households with multiple pets; programmable for up to 5 SmartKeys
- BATTERY OPERATED: The SmartDoor is battery operated (4 D-Cell Batteries, not included)
- DOOR INSTALLATION: Designed for installation in interior/exterior doors; wall installation option available with purchase of Wall Install Kit
This dog door has plenty of amazing features. Firstly, it comes with a waterproof SmartKey for your dog. This helps in security as only those animals are allowed that have the key. Moreover, if you have more than one day, then it is also compatible with five keys at a time!
Other than that, some basic features such as programmable entry/exit timings and easy auto-locking are also available.
Lastly, the door is relatively easy to install, and you can do it without requiring any extra support.
So, go for it for both small and large dogs!
Designer – High Tech Power Pet Electronic Pet Door – Most Stylish Dog Door
Brand: High Tech
Where to Buy: Amazon
If you’re worried that a pet door may ruin the interior look of your house, why not go for a stylish pet door?
- Motor driven vertically-sliding door is activated by MS-4 ultrasonic collar
- Directional sensing system opens the door only when your pet is on a direct approach, not when he is just wandering by or sleeping next to the door
- 4-way access control lets you select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed & Locked
- Wind and weatherproof with airtight seal; automatic deadbolt locking adds a level of security higher than any other pet door
- Panel size: 12-1/4 by 16-inch for pets up to 100-pound, Kindly refer user manual and instruction video for reference.
The High Tech Power Pet dog door is definitely the most stylish door amongst plenty of other options.
Along with the stylish look, they have some of the best features. Firstly, they are available in both medium and large sizes, so you can choose accordingly.
Then, the wind and waterproof door come with an ultrasonic pet collar that only allows your dog to come in and go out. Moreover, it only opens when your dog directly approaches the door. It won’t open if the dog is simply passing or playing around.
The door consists of four access modes such as ‘In only,’ ‘Out only,’ ‘Full access,’ and ‘Closed; Locked.’ Thus, you have full control of your dog’s movement.
So, isn’t this dog door quite an appealing option?
USA made – Endura Flap Wall Pet Door – USA Made and Energy-Efficient
Brand: Endura Flap
Where to Buy: Amazon
If you’re looking for a quality dog door made explicitly in the US, then this is the one.
- ✔ NO WORRIES FREEDOM FOR YOU AND YOUR PET: your dogs and cats will love their new independence to go in and out without your help; easy to use and durable, energy efficient and secure, our pet doors have all your needs covered; small size flap works well with small dogs and cats
- ✔ SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL: our award winning single flap dog doors and cat doors are designed for maximum energy efficiency even in the most extreme weather; our patented technology resists energy loss from your home in temperatures as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit
- ✔ EASY TRAINING FOR YOUR DOG OR CAT: our unique Endura Flap doors feature a three-sided magnet design adjustable for training or for timid pets while providing the strength you need to keep the wind out; flaps are rated to stay shut in gusts of up to 50 mph; all doors come with a secure locking cover when not in use
- ✔ INSTALL RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX: our simple to follow instructions walk you step by step through the install; we've included tips and tricks for each step, and a section for special wall situations; suitable for interior and exterior walls up to 8 inches thick
- ✔ BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR PURCHASE: Endura Flap pet doors are Made in the USA, with a high quality aluminum frame and interior wall tunnel to ensure durability and security for the life of the door; the patented flap is non-toxic and recyclable, remains flexible in the cold, and pivots on a rod to prevent cracking and tearing; our industry leading 15 year warranty has you covered
The Endura Flap pet door is available in different sizes for your dog. Additionally, it has a simple design that can look good with any interior design and is also easy to install.
Due to the aluminum frame, it is quite durable, windproof, and waterproof.
When it comes to the main features, this door is probably the only one that is quite an energy-efficient one. So, save up on those electricity bills as this door doesn’t allow energy loss!
It also allows your dog the freedom to go in and out. The only catch here is that it doesn’t have any such smart features as the other ones.
So, if you want a reasonable and uncomplicated dog door, then this is the one!
Final Thoughts: Should You Go for an App-Controlled Dog Door or Not?
In the end, the choice of buying an app-controlled dog door is yours. However, I highly recommend it to many owners.
- If you are worried about other animals using the door
- To track the movements of a dog
- To save the number of times you need to get up to lettuce dog out
- For safety and comfort when it comes to doing toileting when you are away
- To create specific rules for specific dogs
You get all the benefits of a traditional dog door without any of the downsides.
Comfort and security are an app button click away. No more getting up from the couch or having to repeatedly let a dog in or out. A simple and high tech solutioN!