Brachycephalic breeds are adorable with their flat facial features, but these dogs require a few accommodations. Breeds like French Bulldogs, Pugs, Boxers, or Cavalier King Charles Spaniel can sometimes struggle with drinking from a regular bowl.
We tested different bowls to find the best dog bowls for flat-faced dogs. Read on to learn more about the products we recommend for keeping your pet healthy and hydrated.
Top 3 Best Dog Bowls for Flat-Faced Dogs
The following drinking bowls are the best products we found. Their design makes it easy for brachycephalic dogs to drink.
Upsky Dog Bowl
The Upsky Dog Bowl is a slow water feeder that uses a floating disc to dispense a small quantity of water at a time.
- Extreme Large Capacity: With the dimension 8.8 x 7.2 x 2 inches, the bowl has a pretty large and practical capacity, about 35oz in total, which is enough for dogs to drink a whole day.
- Splash-proof Water Bowl: The waterproof edge strip and floating disk dual design can effectively prevent water from overflowing, keeping your floor dry and tidy at all times.
- Slow Water Feeder: The automatically adjustable floating disk design slows down the drinking speed of your pet. When your pet's tongue touches the floating disk, it sinks and the water undulates.
- Prevent Wet Mouth: The floating disk of no drip dog water bowl can control water easily and then prevent large areas of water from wetting pet’s mouth hairs. Keep your pet's hair dry and tinted.
- Keep Water Clean: The separable 2-pieces disk welded design helps prevent the dust, dirt, and pet hair from falling into the water to affect water quality. Provide clean water for your pets all day.
A common challenge for brachycephalic dogs is to drink without immersing their nose in the water. This bowl makes it easy for your dog to keep their face out of the water since the floating disc limits the depth of the water. It’s also a great feature for keeping your pet’s face dry and preventing messes.
The raised design of this bowl will also help your dog adopt a comfortable posture when they drink. Plus, the 35 oz capacity means your dog will have access to fresh water all day long. Since dogs need about a cup of fresh water per 10 lbs. of body weight, this bowl is ideal for small and medium breeds.
Petkit Cybertal Elevated Dog Bowls
This stylish set of two elevated bowls is another great choice for owners of Bulldogs and other dogs with flat faces.
- Premium Quality Stainless Steel Bowls: Solid, dishwasher-safe, and harmless to pets
- Raised Bowls can help improve cat’s digestion and 0/15° tilted reduces the strain of leaning bodies
- The deep and wide shape prevents whisker fatigue, and rounded edges make it easy to get food
- Slightly inclined surface prevents food spilling. Bottom rubberized grips make stable
- Bowls are removable(simply rotate the cat bowl into buckle) and dishwasher safe. No Microwave
The bowls feature a 15° angle that makes it easier to drink and grab food kibbles for dogs with short faces. The non-slip platform raises the bowls 2” off the floor so the food and water sits directly in front of a small dog for a more comfortable posture.
PetFusion Food Bowl
Even though the manufacturer advertises this product as a food bowl, it makes a great drinking bowl for dogs with flat faces.
- Shallow dish helps prevent over feeding/eating. High grade stainless steel 304 used in U.S. food industry.
- Corrosion and superior hygiene, stainless steel also helpsShallow & wide design HELPS PREVENT WHISKER ; a stressful & painful condition when your cat's sensitive whiskers brush up against the side of its feeding or water bowl Extended outer rim for easy lifting and cleaning;
- Dishwasher safeFits 4" PetFusion Elevated Pet Feeders sold with brushed finish bowls13 ounce bowls (1;6 cups each); 1;1 inches deep; All materials tested using international safety standards
The PetFusion Food Bowl features a shallow design that is ideal for brachycephalic breeds. It’s a quality stainless-steel bowl with sides that are only 2” high to make food or water easy to access. We recommend the 13 oz bowl since the other sizes have taller sides.
This bowl is a no-frill option if you’re looking for a durable drinking bowl your dog can use comfortably.
Other Drinking Bowls We Tested
We tested a total of 11 drinking bowls to choose the best products for dogs with flat faces. The following bowls didn’t make it to the top three, but they have some redeeming qualities.
Americat Company Bowls
Americat Company is a brand that makes pet products for cat owners. We recommend these drinking bowls for brachycephalic dogs because of their small size and rounded edges.
- MADE IN USA: We make cat products in the USA from U.S. materials for safety, quality, and peace of mind. You can feel the difference in quality!
- STAINLESS STEEL: Veterinarians recommend stainless steel, because of its hygienic and sanitary qualities, over plastic or ceramic bowls. We use U.S. sourced 18/8 304 series stainless steel. Dishwasher safe and easy to clean by hand
- HUMAN GRADE & FOODSAFE: Made in the USA in a facility that also makes healthcare and culinary products. Tested by an independent lab and certified lead-free and free of radioactive metals
- PREVENT WHISKER FATIGUE: Wide and shallow with sloped sides to protect sensitive whiskers from whisker fatigue
- SET OF 2: Perfect for dry kibble, wet food, treats, and water. 5.75 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep. Holds up to 16 ounces
These bowls have a wide and shallow design that is perfect for flat-faced dogs who need to get their face close to the water to lap it. The bowls are only 1.5” deep and have a capacity of 16 0z.
You can also get a matching stand to accommodate a taller dog.
Max and Neo Heavyweight Non-Skid Dog Bowl
This sturdy dog bowl is great if you have a pet who either plays with their drinking bowl or who pushes the bowl around when they drink.
- YOUR PURCHASE HELPS A DOG RESCUE: For every dog bowl sold, we donate a dog bowl to a dog rescue. Dog rescues are in constant need of dog supplies. We donate 1 for 1 for every bowl purchase. By purchasing one of our dog bowls, you receive a premium high quality stainless steel dog bowl and you donate one to a rescue. Together we can support dog rescues with a never ending supply of supplies.
- DOG RESCUES: Each month we donate to different rescues throughout the USA. At the end of every month, we tally up the number of products sold. Based on the number, we determine how many rescues we can donate to for that month. We donate down our list of rescues until each one has received a donation and then we go back to the top of our list. In special cases, we will donate to rescues out of turn based on their immediate needs.
- QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: Our dog bowls are made from high quality 204 thick stainless steel. They are thicker and heavier than other bowls. The small bowl weighs 9 oz, the medium bowl weighs 16 oz and the large bowl weighs 1.2 lbs. Our bowls are independently lab tested and free of heavy metals.
- FULL NON-SKID RUBBER BOTTOM: All bowls have a full rubber bottom, not just a rubber ring on the outside. Because of this and the fact that they are heavier, they are harder for dogs to flip and push across the floor.
The non-skid bottom ensures the bowl stays safely in place. We recommend the small size for a brachycephalic dog since this model has low edges and still holds 32 oz of water.
It’s a durable option thanks to the stainless-steel construction, and the non-skid bottom is a great addition for dogs who tend to flip or push their drinking bowl.
Neater Pet Brands Stainless Steel Dog Bowls
Neater Pet Brands makes affordable pet products. These stainless-steel drinking bowls are perfect if you’re shopping on a budget and want a durable product.
- STAINLESS STEEL - Durable contoured all stainless steel pet bowls for dogs, cats, puppies or kittens. Can be used for food or water.
- NEATER FEEDER COMPATIBLE - Designed to fit the Cat Size Neater Feeder Deluxe and Cat Size Neater Feeder Express Models
- 1 CUP BOWL SIZE - 5.25" Diameter and 1.25" Height and 1 cup (8 oz) capacity
- SEE SIZING GUIDE IN DESCRIPTION - Please see the sizing guide in the description below in order to find out which size bowl corresponds to your model of Neater Feeder.
- DISHWASHER SAFE - All bowls are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
You’ll get a simple drinking bowl with a classic design and sturdy stainless-steel construction. We recommend these no-frill drinking bowls for Bulldogs and other dogs with a flat face because the smaller size is only 1.25” deep and still holds a cup of water.
Plus, the 5.25” diameter is wide enough to accommodate a flat-faced dog who will need to get close to the water to drink.
JWPC Bulldog Bowl
We like the JWPC Bulldog Bowl because this drinking bowl features an adjustable tilted design. You can try different angles to find one that is comfortable for your pet.
- Material- Well manufactured with top-quality Rubber, super safe, non-toxic, scratch-resistant and durable in use.
- Considerate Design- Adjustable base height allows your pet to eat food with maximum comfort and handiness.
- Special raised bowl that prevent food and drink from spilling by the food falling towards the center
- This durable and easy to use pet bowl is made of high quality resin material that is 100% safe and eco-friendly for your pets with zero toxic material. The base is full of elasticity, anti-slip and firmly placed. You don’t have to worry about wastage of food for its special design.
- It can be used in so many types of small cat and dog especially once with flat face such as French bulldog and pug dog. It is divided into two parts. food bowl and the bottom base
The rubber construction is also an interesting feature. While stainless steel is more durable, some dogs don’t like this material.
The main downside of using a rubber bowl is that materials like plastic and rubber can cause dog acne in the muzzle area if your pet has sensitive skin, which is why we didn’t include this drinking bowl in our top three. It’s a somewhat common issue in Pugs and Pug mixes.
Our Pets Durapet Tilt-A-Bowl
This tilted drinking bowl can accommodate dogs with a flat-faced thanks to its wide edges that have a diameter of approximately 7”. It’s an affordable option, and the stainless-steel construction makes this bowl durable.
- Patented rubber bonded ring
- Sloping style provides easy Feeding for pets
- Dura pet Technology
- Hygienic stainless steel easy to clean
There is a non-skid bottom to prevent the bowl from moving, and the tilted design makes the water easier to access for brachycephalic dogs.
We didn’t include this drinking bowl in our top three because of the size of the sides. The wide opening is a plus, but it also means that dogs with short necks might have a hard time reaching the bottom of the bowl. It’s still a good option if you have a larger breed like a Boxer.
Super Design Mess-Free Slanted Bowl
We like this slanted bowl because the design makes food and water easy to access while reducing messes. The bowl has a slightly elevated design that allows your pet to keep their back and shoulders straight when they drink or eat.
- Slanted Dog Bowl - Ergonomic 15 Degree Tilted Dog Bowl makes the food concentrate on the bottom and makes your pet easy to empty the food, as well as reduces risk of "bloat" and indigestion
- Non Spill Dog Food Bowl - Dogs tend to stack food to the edge, higher round arc design makes food not easy to overflow the edge
- Stable and Non-slip Puppy Bowls - This pet food bowls hard to turn over, heavy duty stand with non-slip feet
- Easy to Clean Cat Bowls - Both Melamine Stand and Stainless Steel Bowl are Dishwasher Safe, super easy to clean and wipe
- Small Dog Bowls - Dog bowls for small size dog and cats less than 6.6lbs, hold around 1/2 Cup particle food; SS Bowl: Diameter - 4", Depth - 2.25"
The 15° tilt will help your dog get their face closer to the water, and the base features a sturdy design that makes the bowl difficult to flip over.
Lewondr Adjustable Elevated Dog Bowls
These elevated dog bowls are the best dog bowls for flat-faced dogs if you own a medium to large breed like a Boxer or Bullmastiff.
- 🐶【Adjustable Elevated Cat Dog Bowls】Liftable design dog bowl with 4 different levels of height adjustable (first level: 8cm, second level: 22cm, third level: 26cm, fourth level:30cm). Easy adjust by pressing circular button on the top. It is an elevated dog bowl, dog water bowl, and pet feeder suitable for all life growth periods. An ideal dog and cat bowl for food and water.
- 🐱【Premium Materials and Large-capacity Dog Bowls】The dog bowl stand is made of high-quality and durable plastic material, and the detachable dog food bowl is made of premium stainless steel, rust-resistant and shock-proof, can be used in dishwashers, easy to clean and can be reused for a long time. Each dog bowl with 20cm in diameter, 7cm in high, to maximize your dog's daily dietary needs. The capacity is 1000ML water or 19OZ dry food.
- 🐶【Reduce Joint Pressure】 With moderate height, an elevated dog bowl can help reduce pressure on joints and bones. Lewondr elevated dog bowl provides your pets with a healthy feeding way and enjoy their healthy dining time. Our raised dog bowls and dog feeders are very suitable for mature dogs, also ideal for larger dogs.
- 🐱【Stable Anti-slip Design】Rubber anti-skid pads at the ends of the legs prevent the elevated dog bowls stand from moving around while eating, or spilling water while drinking. Keep the floor tidy and clean. Provide a comfortable eating time for your kitten and puppy.
- 🐶【Easy Install and Storage】With a foldable design this dog bowl stand is very easy to install, only need to raise the horizontal bar under the feeder to fold the feeder for storage without taking up space, which is ideal for travel or home use.
We like these bowls because they come with a frame that you can adjust to match the height of your pet. The lowest setting is 3”, but you can elevate the bowls up to 12” to keep your pet comfortable.
The dogs lack the tilted design that can be useful for brachycephalic breeds, but they are shallow with a depth of 2.6”.
COMSUN Collapsible Dog Bowl
These inexpensive collapsible dog bowls aren’t durable enough to make it to our top three, but they’re a convenient accessory for drinking on the go.
- PORTABLE & CONVENIENT: Collapsible dog bowl is 5.1 inches wide, 2.1 inches height, each bowl holds up to 12 fluid ounces of water or 1.5 cups of dog food. - 0.5 inches when compact - simply Pop-Up and then fold away
- SAFE MATERIALS AND ECO-FRIENDLY: Made with high quality silicone. You also can rest assured that when your pet is enjoying food or water from one of our bowls they're completely safe
- DURABLE AND REUSABLE: The bowl's durable construction means that they can be rinsed or wiped clean after use. also gives the bowl greater longevity over other similar products
- EASY FOR STORAGE AND TRANSPORTATION: Non-Slip collapsible dog bowl set great for travel dog bowl, pet travel bowl and cat food bowl - The Bowls include color-matching carabiners clip it or collapse it to your backpack, purse, dog travel crate, dog training leash or collapse flat for your pocket, stroller, glovebox AND MORE! Terrific Pet Supplies for Dogs Water Bowl or Dog Travel Bowl
- BRIGHTNESS COLOR: Color-a set with mixed color: Blue and Green
We recommend grabbing a couple of these silicone dog bowls so your pet can stay hydrated on long walks, an afternoon at the beach, or during road trips. The collapsible design means you can adjust the depth of the bowl to accommodate a flat-faced dog if the total 2” depth is too much for your pet.
After testing different products, we recommend the Upsky Dog Bowl with its floating disc that reduces the depth of the water, the Petkit Cybertal Elevated Dog Bowls because the tilted and elevated design will keep your pet comfortable, or the PetFusion Food Bowl if you want a simple, shallow drinking bowl.
These products are the best dog bowls for flat-faced dogs since their design makes water easier to access for brachycephalic dogs.