Today we’re talking about chihuahuas.
These little dogs are often overlooked, but despite their status as the smallest dog breed in the world, these dogs are lots of fun.
What they lack in size, they definitely make up for in personality.
Although you often see chihuahuas featured as lap dogs in TV shows or being carried around in films, these dogs actually have a lot of energy.
Chihuahuas enjoy being active and jumping around and having fun, and because of this, it can be difficult to know what to feed them.
There are plenty of dog foods that supply bigger dogs with energy, but what about smaller dogs?
While these dog foods can be harder to find, there are actually plenty of different options on the market that could be a great choice for your chihuahua.
To make your life easier we’ve put together this handy guide to the best dog food for chihuahuas on the market.
It’s packed with suggestions of some of the best dog foods available, as well as lots of information that you may not have known about feeding your chihuahua.
So if you want to find a dog food that provides your furry friend with lots of energy, keep on reading.
In a hurry?
If you need dog food for your chihuahua in a hurry, but don’t know which is the best to buy, we would recommend the Hill’s Science Small and Mini Dog Food.
Hill’s Science is undoubtedly one of the best dog food manufacturers on the market, and this recipe does not disappoint as it is packed with excellent features, including:
- Brilliant weight management qualities to help maintain healthy muscle mass.
- Contains only natural ingredients and excludes artificial ingredients that could be harmful.
- It is available in both 4lb and 15lb size bags.
- Comes in a yummy chicken flavor which is supplemented with ingredients to support the heart.
Our favorite dog food for chihuahuas currently on the market is the Hill’s Science Small and Mini dog food formula.
Hills Science is one of the best dog food manufacturers on the market, and they are actually vet recommended so you know that you are feeding your dog the best.
This specific formula is designed for small and mini dogs which makes it perfect for chihuahuas, and it comes in a yummy chicken flavor with additional ingredients to support your dog’s heart.
Additionally, it comes with excellent weight management qualities that prevent your dog from becoming overweight, and also maintain lean muscle mass.
This dog food contains only natural ingredients and no nasty artificial ingredients which could upset your chihuahua’s belly.
Finally, this dog food is available in 4lb and 15lb bags so that you can try it before you invest in a big bag.
So with all of this considered, it is clear that this is the best dog food available for chihuahuas.
- Excellent weight management qualities
- Helps maintain lean muscle
- Contains only natural ingredients
- Number 1 vet recommended
- Available in 4lb and 15lb bags
- Yummy chicken flavor includes ingredients to support the heart
- No notable drawbacks
- Small breed dog food clinically proven for weight management
- Over 70 percent of dogs lost weight within 10 weeks
- Give your little dog long lasting weight support
- This adult pet food helps your tiny dog maintain lean muscle
- Made with natural ingredients
We also love the Purina Pro Plan Small Breed dry food and think this is an excellent choice for your chihuahua.
This is another excellent brand for high-quality dog food, so if you want the best for your chihuahua, this is one of the best choices.
This dog food comes in a nutrient-dense kibble texture which is packed with high-quality protein sourced from real chicken.
Additionally, this dog food is supplemented with probiotics to support your dog’s gut health, improve their digestion, and enhance their immune system.
This dog food is designed for smaller breeds so it comes as no surprise that the kibble which makes this dog food is small in size.
Not only is it small, but this kibble is also shredded so that your dog can eat this food easily.
It comes in a yummy chicken and rice flavor which is a guaranteed favorite for tickling your dog’s taste buds and is available in 18lb bags.
So with all of this in mind, it is clear that this is one of the best options available.
- Nutrient-dense kibble texture
- High protein formula sourced from real chicken
- Contains probiotics for immune and digestive health
- Small, shredded size perfect for smaller dogs
- Chicken and rice flavor leaves your dogs wanting more
- Available in 18lb bags
- No notable drawbacks
- One (1) 18 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics, Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
- Used to be known as SAVOR Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
- Nutrient-dense bite-sized kibble and small tender, shredded pieces for a taste and texture dogs love
- High protein formula with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics to support digestive and immune health
Another brilliant option for your chihuahua is the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dog Food.
Blue Buffalo is a favorite for all dog breeds if you want them to remain healthy, and this formula for smaller dogs is no different.
The main ingredient of this dog food is real meat for natural protein to ensure that your dog is only getting the best.
Natural protein will ensure that your dog gets the right amount of energy to enable them to live an active life, as well as encourage them to build and maintain healthy muscles.
Additionally, this dog food is supplemented with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
The vitamins and minerals actively improve your dog’s immune system, while the antioxidants help improve your chihuahua’s gut health.
This dog food is available in bags of both 6lb and 15lb and has a kibble size which is perfect for small jaws.
So with all of this considered, there’s no question that this is one of the best options currently on the market.
- Includes real meat as the main ingredient for excellent protein
- Ingredients to help build and maintain healthy muscles
- Contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to support the immune system
- Excludes animal by-products and artificial ingredients
- Kibble size ideal for small jaws
- Available in 6lb and 15lb bags
- Only suitable for senior dogs
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR SMALL BREED SENIOR DOGS: This recipe contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support joint health and mobility with the proteins and carbohydrates to help maintain energy requirements for a healthy lifestyle and kibble ideal for smaller jaws
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Blue dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; Blue contains no chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 6 lb Bag of Blue Life Protection Formula small breed senior dry dog food chicken and brown rice
Alternatively, you could choose to feed your chihuahua Pedigree Small Breed Dry Food.
If you fancy something a bit different, this dog food might be great for your chihuahua as it is available in both chicken and steak flavor.
It is designed for small mouths and is available in 15.9lb bags so that your dog will have plenty of food to keep them going.
This dog food is great as it only uses natural ingredients.
This ensures that your dog will get natural protein to support their lifestyle and that they won’t eat any artificial ingredients which could make them unwell.
Additionally, it is supplemented with antioxidants for your dog’s immune system and gut, and also includes Omega-6 fatty acid for your dog’s skin and coat.
With all of these brilliant features considered, there’s no doubt that this is a brilliant choice for your chihuahua.
- Choose between chicken and steak flavor
- Contains antioxidants for gut and immune health
- Includes Omega-6 fatty acid for healthy skin and coat
- Designed to be small for small mouths
- Uses only natural ingredients for high-quality protein
- Available in 15.9lb bags
- The kibble has a strong smell
- Contains one (1) 15.9 lb. bag of PEDIGREE Small Dog Complete Nutrition Adult Dry Dog Food, Roasted Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Flavor
- PEDIGREE Small Dog Dry Food features a delicious chicken and vegetable flavor that provides antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help maintain a healthy lifestyle
- PEDIGREE Food for Dogs features whole grains, protein, and accents of vegetables to help support digestion
- Complete and balanced nutrition provides optimal levels of omega-6 fatty acid to nourish skin, and help keep your small dogs coat shiny and healthy
- Proudly made in the USA with the world’s finest ingredients, no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial flavors, and no added sugar
Finally, we would recommend Royal Canin Chihuahua Wet Food.
This dog food is specifically designed for the chihuahua breed, so we couldn’t leave it off of this list.
Of all the dog foods that we have looked at, this is the only wet option, so if your dog prefers wet food we would recommend giving this a go.
This formula consists of load in gravy which has moderate fat to ensure your dog has high energy levels without gaining weight.
Additionally, it includes Omega fatty acids to improve your dog’s skin and coat and ensure it remains healthy.
Not only that, but this dog food also helps reduce your dog’s stools and make them less smelly as it improves their digestion.
It can be used as a mixer or on its own and is a great choice for fussy eaters due to its adapted texture.
So there is absolutely no question that this is one of the best dog foods available for chihuahuas.
- Soft dog food featuring loaf in gravy
- Contains moderate fat for high energy levels
- Includes Omega fatty acids for skin and coat
- Helps to reduce stools and stool odor to support healthy digestion
- Can be used as a mixer or on its own
- Adapted texture makes this wet food suitable for the fussiest of eaters
- Not suitable for chihuahuas under 8 months of age
- Royal Canin Chihuahua wet dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Chihuahuas 8 months and older
- Highly palatable soft dog food, featuring Loaf in Sauce with moderately high fat and energy density, helps satisfy picky eaters
- Supports coat and skin health with omega-3 EPA and DHA and biotin
- Helps reduce stools and stool odor with soluble and insoluble fibers to support a healthy intestinal transit
- Complete and balanced wet dog food can be fed alone or mixed with Royal Canin Adult or Adult 8+ Chihuahua dry dog food
Best Dog Food for Chihuahua Buyer’s Guide
Finding the perfect dog food for your chihuahua can be difficult. There seem to be a variety of options available on the market for larger dogs, but the range for smaller dogs seems much tighter.
But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t options available, it simply means that they are more difficult to find.
The options that we have looked at above are some of the best dog foods available for chihuahuas, but if you are still unsure we’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide to help you.
It’s packed with all the information you could possibly need to know about chihuahuas to ensure that your furbaby eats a healthy diet that will allow them to lead a happy life.
The first thing that you need to consider is the size of the kibble that you are buying for your chihuahua.
There are plenty of dog foods available that are not catered for one type of dog in particular and are instead aimed at all adult dogs.
While this might seem like the easy choice for your chihuahua, you might want to think again. Chihuahuas are the smallest popular dog breed in the world, and so they also have small mouths.
While, theoretically, regular adult dog food will not harm your chihuahua, you should think about the size of the kibble that makes up the food.
Due to their size, some regular adult dog food will be designed in bites that are way too big for your chihuahua’s mouth and could cause choking or trouble eating the food.
This is why a lot of chihuahua owners choose to buy dog food for their furbaby that is specifically designed for smaller dogs, or even chihuahuas. (Many owners of Mini Poodles, Teacup Goldendoodles or tiny Havapoo dogs do the same)
These foods will consist of a kibble size that is much more suitable for your dog’s small mouth meaning that your dog will be able to eat this food comfortably.
Kibble size is something that most dog owners overlook, and with most breeds, this will not be an issue.
But for toy breeds, such as the chihuahua, the size of the kibble makes a big difference to your dog’s ability to enjoy the food, so it is definitely something that you should consider.
Ingredients to look for
Next, let’s take a look at the different ingredients that you should look for in your dog’s food.
There are some key ingredients and food groups that you should look for in your dog’s dog food to ensure that they have a healthy diet that allows them to lead a happy life.
The first thing that you need to look for is protein. Just as with humans, protein is key for a healthy lifestyle as it provides energy and allows for healthy muscle mass.
Small dogs, like the chihuahua, are prone to gaining weight incredibly quickly so protein is the best way for your dog to have a healthy amount of energy without gaining weight.
Protein also helps make your dog feel full after every meal and ensures that they do not eat food unnecessarily.
As well as protein, you should also look for a dog food that includes lots of carbohydrates to ensure that your dog has enough energy for its busy lifestyle.
Finally, there are some things that you should look for that will supplement your dog’s diet.
It is good to look for dog food that contains vitamins and minerals, and also probiotics. Additionally, you should look for dog foods that contain omega fatty acids.
All of these supplements will benefit your dog’s health in different ways, for example, probiotics will help your dog’s immune system and gut health, and omega fatty acids will keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy.
So it is best to look out for things like this when you are buying dog food.
Ingredients to avoid
Finally, let’s take a look at some of the ingredients that you should avoid in your dog’s food.
Not all dog food manufacturers will have your dog’s health at heart and so they will include ingredients that may not necessarily benefit your dog’s health.
So let’s take a look at some of the ingredients that you should avoid.
The main thing that you should avoid is artificial ingredients. Some manufacturers will include artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives to replace natural ingredients.
This sometimes even includes artificial alternatives to natural protein, so some dog foods won’t even include actual meat, despite this being their main flavor.
It is best to avoid all ingredients that are “artificial” as this has caused some dogs to become unwell so it is best to opt for natural ingredients.
Some common ingredients in dog food are actually common allergens for dogs.
A lot of dogs are allergic to wheat, dairy, and eggs. Some dogs are even allergic to meats such as chicken, beef, and lamb, so it is best to watch out for these ingredients if they cause your dog’s stomach to become upset.
So if you notice that a specific dog food doesn’t seem to agree with your chihuahua’s stomach, it is best to avoid these flavors and ingredients in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I crack an egg in my dog’s food?
There is a lot of controversy surrounding whether or not it is safe to feed dogs raw eggs.
However, dogs have very different immune and digestive systems to human beings, and because of this dogs are able to eat a raw egg without being at risk of the same food poisoning as human beings.
How many times a day should I feed my chihuahua puppy?
If you are a new dog owner, it can be difficult to know how much you should feed them. Especially if that dog is still a puppy.
Fully grown dogs tend to eat one or two large meals a day, but generally, you should feed younger dogs smaller meals more regularly throughout the day.
Up until your chihuahua puppy is 4 months old, you should be feeding them 4 meals throughout the day and then gradually reduce this as they age.
Why is my chihuahua always hungry?
You may notice that your dog is always on the hunt for food. In some cases, this can be a cause for concern as an increased appetite has been linked to some serious health conditions.
However, in most cases, your dog may appear to be constantly hungry simply because they are greedy.
Dogs are scavengers and because of this natural instinct, they are always on the lookout for food which can be mistaken as hunger.