How Many Times A Day Should A Maltipoo Poop – Complete Healthy Poop Info
Little tiny Maltipoo puppies can be surprisingly big poopers. No one wants to talk about how often a dog should poo, but we need to know what is normal. Regular bowel movements are vital for the excellent health and longevity of Maltipoo dogs and puppies.
A dog that does not poop enough can be an early warning sign of some pretty severe health problems. A Maltipoo that poops all day every day is also not healthy.
Let’s learn how often a Maltipoo should poop, what can cause excessive pooping – and what to do if there is not enough poop. Prepare to spend the next five minutes thinking about dog poop!
How often should a Maltipoo poop?
A healthy and happy Maltipoo will poop between one and five times per day. The most frequently encountered situation is a Maltipoo that poops twice daily (and pees a little more regularly). The frequency can vary depending on the type of diet and a few other factors. The most important factors that influence how often your Maltipoo will poop are
- How recently they have eaten
- How much they have eaten
- Whether they are dehydrated or not
- Level of exercise throughout the day
A “typical” Maltipoo will poop twice per day. Most commonly, this will occur after mealtime. Dogs will eliminate and expel (poop), usually within 30 minutes of eating.
This allows us to assist with toilet training early on. When your dog is a puppy, you will have two set times (most Maltipoos eat twice daily) that you will then take your Maltipoo to the chosen toilet spot.
Because they are small dogs, Maltipoos are easily trained to use a porch potty or DIY balcony toilet. It is okay for Maltipoos to take themselves to poop in these designated spots – provided the access is always available.
Some dogs also expel or poop every time they exercise. This can be a smaller amount of poop – or even seem like a poop that has rushed along. It is a biochemical process that their body tells them to poo after exercising. Give a little time after each exercise session if you think your dog is one of these poo joggers.
What type of poop is typical for a Maltipoo?
The typical 2 or 3 times per day a Maltipoo poops will see one or two solid pieces of poop. It is not healthy for small dogs like the Maltipoo to consistently have wet, runny, or sloppy poops.
Smaller dogs are far more likely to have a solid poop when they are healthy – due to differences in their bowels and intestines. The different enzymes and absorption mean that larger dogs typically have more wet or moist poops. (See this study into digestive sensitivity varies according to the size of dog)
Maltipoo poop should be fairly dense, still a little moist, but not fall to pieces when you pick it up. It should be sturdy enough that it holds its shape.
If there is a noticeable change in the poop that is not linked to a food change, you may need to see a Veterinarian.
Prolonged diarrhea is a problem that a Maltipoo needs to see a Veterinarian for as a priority.
How often is enough for a Maltipoo to poop?
If your puppy poops only once per day – you might be a little worried. However, it can be entirely reasonable for a Maltipoo dog to only toilet once per day.
Exactly how long can a dog go without pooping? If your dog has not eliminated within 48 hours – it is time to discuss treatment with your Veterinarian. Any change to the typical frequency that can’t be explained by a difference in the diet must be addressed with a Vet professional.
A Maltipoo puppy might toilet with more variety as their digestive system develops and gets used to the type of foods available.
How much poop is too much for a Maltipoo?
Diarrhea is the only cause of “too much poop” for a Maltipoo. There are a few common causes of diarrhea for small dog breeds like Maltipoos.
- Inappropriate diet
- Allergy or intolerance
- Overeating (which is really over feeding)
- Eating things from the ground/off food/household items
If there is persistent diarrhea, a smaller dog like the Maltipoo can become very dehydrated and miss out on essential vitamins and minerals. This is why taking little dog diarrhea seriously is very important. If you see diarrhea over a day with your Maltipoo, seek professional Vet help.
How can you change how often a Maltipoo poops?
There are a few ways you can influence how often a Maltipoo poops. To achieve consistency, you can limit the diet to the same volume and type of meal in the morning and evening. Then pick a single kind of treat and stick with that also.
Limiting the volume and variety of food will make the total number of Maltipoo poops become more consistent.
To increase the number of poops, you can increase the dietary fiber present. This can also change the consistency. The best Maltipoo puppy and adult foods will be quite high in fiber to help ensure the frequency of waste elimination.
Fiber helps regular excessive pooping too. Pick the write Maltipoo dog diet to ensure adequate fiber that can be processed by the smaller dog stomach.
Another strategy is to ensure that your dog is getting adequate hydration. There are two different ways that water intake will affect the number of poops your dog does. If the weather is hot – a relatively inactive Maltipoo will need extra water. If your Maltipoo is a pocket rocket and loves to exercise – they might need a hydration boost.
Lack of water can slow down digestion and is a contributing factor to constipation caused by very dense poops. Even though dogs can have other drinks like almond milk – boring old water is the safest and best option.
Remember that older Maltipoos might eat less AND poop less often. This can sometimes occur with old age. Small dogs like Maltipoos and Cavapoos live a long time – and everything tends to slow down with older dogs.
Best Foods for Maltipoo Digestive Health
Maltipoo adults and puppies have slightly different nutritional requirements. Both will be eating mostly kibble -as tough dryer food has many health benefits including lowering the risk of gum diseases and teeth issues (research article).
We reviewed in detail the best Maltipoo puppy foods available in our guide. Make the right choice for healthy puppy growth and nutrition.
For adult Maltipoo dogs it is a little simpler. The three best dog foods for Maltipoo dogs gut health are
- Contains 1- 24 Lb. Bag of Canidae PURE Lamb and Pea Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Real food ingredients for the taste your dog will love. Crafted with real lamb as the first ingredient, paired with whole ingredients like peas, sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans
- Complete and balanced goodness for adult dogs. This recipe is made using 10 or fewer key ingredients that are easily recognizable, perfect for large or small dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Formulated with antioxidants and probiotics to support a healthy digestive and immune system, along with a nutritious blend of vitamins and minerals to support healthy joints, skin and coat
- Canidae is creating a world of goodness for pets and the planet. Premium proteins and regeneratively farmed ingredients nourish pets and planet in every bowl, setting a new standard for pet food. Everything we do results in a bowl full of goodness
- A dry dog Food with easy-to-digest ingredients to fuel the energy needs of adult canines, with a little kibble
- This dry food for small-breed dogs provides Omega-6s & vitamin E for healthy skin & coat
- Provides your adult little dog with high-quality protein for maintaining lean muscle
- Promotes healthy digestion for your adult dog With natural fibers
- Made with natural ingredients
- FOR SMALL BREED ADULT DOGS: Eukanuba Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food is complete and balanced nutrition for small breed dogs over 12 months old and weighing up to 23 lb
- MUSCLE & JOINT SUPPORT: A combination of animal protein, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate promotes lean muscle development and joint health in active small breed dogs
- HEALTHY BRAIN FUNCTION: DHA and vitamin E support healthy brain function and help keep small dogs sharp
- SUPPORTS ACTIVE DOGS: Optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates fuel an active lifestyle
- HIGH-QUALITY PROTEIN: High-quality chicken is the first ingredient for protein that powers their day