There’s nothing like a long hike to keep you and your pooch active.
However, when it comes to planning long adventures, there’s often a tonne of essentials to remember and it can be a lot to carry when you’re hiking solo!
A dog backpack for hiking is a game-changer. Gone are the days of having to carry your dog’s kit, simply place their water, treats, and waste bags in a nifty backpack on the go!
Keep reading to find out more.
Table of Contents
The OneTigris Dog Pack is designed for versatility and durability, so you can load up all of your essentials for the day on your dog’s back.
This backpack is constructed from quality cotton canvas fabric with extra soft mesh lining for breathability.
A modified structure prevents slippage, featuring stronger front and rear stainless steel leash rings, a handy grab handle with reinforced stitching on all stress points for a solid performance every time.
- Versatile – Ideal for dog hiking, camping, long trail walks, backpacking trips, traveling, or everyday use.
- Adjustable straps – To ensure that your dog is as comfortable as possible, this backpack features adjustable straps.
- High-quality – This dog backpack is made with durable, reinforced stitching for quality that you can rely on.
- One customer had trouble with the neck straps of this particular backpack.
- 【OneTigris HOPPY CAMPER Doggy Backpack 2.0】Size Medium: 17"-23.5"/43cm-60cm (neck), 25"-31"/64cm-79cm (belly), 9.8"/25cm (back); Net weight: 16.2oz/460g; 2 adjustable straps fits for medium &...
- 【Dog Backpacks for Dogs to Wear】Two 2L main zipper side compartments with semi-open pockets for carrying dog food holder, water, snacks, wast disposal bags, etc.
- 【NOTE for Dog Hiking Pack】 The handle is not used for lifting up your dog; Dog expert: For most dogs, 10% to 12% of their body weight is a good starting point. This would be 5 to 6 pounds for a 50...
- 【Multi-functional Dog Harness Backpack】Ideal for dog training, hiking, camping, long trail walks, backpacking trips, traveling or everyday use
- 【Dog Saddle Bag】High density cotton canvas provide a better holding for your beloved pet and do not hurt fur
The EXCELLENT ELITE SPANKER Dog Pack is made of high-quality 1000D nylon and zippers material with neat stitching and soft padded lining to prevent chafing for your dog’s skin and hair with a comfortable fit.
This dog backpack is versatile! Whether you’re walking, hiking, or running with your pooch, this backpack has you covered.
Ideal for carrying all of your essentials, this dog backpack is suitable for carrying water, dog food, treats, toys, keys, and more!
- Low maintenance – This dog backpack is easy to wipe clean for your convenience!
- Premium material – Built for durability, the premium nylon material this dog backpack is made out of is sure to withstand the test of time and high impact activities!
- Suitable for a variety of dogs – From medium to large breeds, this adjustable backpack is great for an array of different dogs.
- One customer claimed that the size chart was not accurate for this particular dog backpack for hiking.
- This dog saddle bag backpack is made of high quality1000D Nylon and zippers material with neat stitching and soft padded lining to prevent chafing for your dog's skin and hair with a comfortable fit....
- Dog backpacks for hiking the front straps can adjustable dogs neck and adjustable belly straps with UTX-Duraflex quick release buckle; molle system on the backside can add more items you want; The...
- Dog camping backpack capacious side pockets: Suitable for carrying water, dog food, treats, toys, and you can put your phone, keys, Each side pouch comes with an exterior horizontal umbrella pocket...
- Camper dog pack have top handle will redirect the dog forward motion and allow you to control the puller with few effort and training your dog to walk beside you. And the top of this dog saddle...
- 100% Quality Warranty: Your satisfaction with saddle bag for dogs is our first priority, we take care of all quality-related issues with a REPLACEMENT OR FULL REFUND with 90days; If you encounter any...
The Kurgo Baxter Backpack for dogs includes an integrated dog harness with a rear-mounted leash ring to attach a pet leash.
This dog backpack is lightweight yet rugged and tough with compartments that provide enough space for all your pup’s essentials, including food, doggie bags, first aid supplies, and travel bowls so that you’re prepared when you’re out hiking.
This dog hiking backpack has a large handle for extra control over your pet, or to assist them over obstacles.
- Adjustable straps – This dog backpack features padding and adjustable straps to ensure that your dog is as comfortable as possible whilst hiking.
- Reflective trim – This ensures that your pup is visible even in the dark!
- Lifetime warranty – Kurgo offers a lifetime warranty on all of their products should you feel dissatisfied with your purchase.
- One customer noted that one of the straps of this particular backpack broke.
- Hiking Backpack for Dogs to Wear - Saddlebag for dogs is lightweight & comfortable. The 2-sided dog pack provides enough space for all your pup’s essentials, including food, doggie bags, first aid...
- Dog Harness & Backpack in 1 - Backpack for dogs includes an integrated dog harness with rear mounted leash ring to attach pet leash. Rear d-ring can also be used as a bottle opener. Hiking dog back...
- Reflective, Includes Padded Handle - Dog hiking backpack has a large handle for extra control over your pet, or to assist them over obstacles. Dog pack includes reflective trim for visibility in the...
- Size and Fit – 2 sizes of hiking dog pack: Baxter size is for dogs 30-85 Pounds, & fits 3. 75L Big Baxter size is for dogs 50-110 Pounds & fits 7. 5L in the packs. For size recommendations, please...
The Wellver Dog Backpack is perfect for every adventurous pooch out there.
Available in 3 sizes, this dog backpack is versatile! Perfect for outdoor hiking, traveling, walking, and more!
With two roomy pockets, your pet can carry all of their own essentials such as doggie bags, food, and essentials you don’t have room for anywhere else.
- Comfortable – This dog backpack features a breathable middle mesh and soft mesh lining that keeps your dog cool and comfortable on long hikes.
- High-quality – This backpack is made with durable polyester for a long-lasting experience.
- Adjustable straps – The adjustable straps fit your dog well whilst the sturdy buckles make it easy to put on and take off, whether your dog is small or large.
- One customer noted that they didn’t like the design of this particular dog backpack.
- Lightweight and washable,the dog backpacks is perfect for outdoor hiking travel walking,especially in spring summer autumn
- Breathable middle mesh and soft mesh lining offer your loved pet cooling and comfortable feelings
- Measure Girth, the widest part of your dog’s ribcage.Recommended for Girth, S:22.83"-25.59", M:26.38"-30.71", L:32.28"-38.58"
- The hiking dog pack's adjustable straps can fit your dog well and sturdy buckles make it easy to put on and off,no matter your pet is small or large dogs
- With two roomy pocket , you can put disposable dog food or pet toys and let your hands free.
The Bum’s Pack Dog Saddle Bag is made out of 1050-D nylon backpack material and soft, breathable mesh for your dog’s comfort.
Featuring sun absorbent luminous strips, this dog backpack is also highly reflective at night to keep your pooch visible and as safe as possible.
This dog backpack comes with a variety of different accessories, including a foldable water bottle, a reflective leash, a paw cleaner, and a foldable bowl!
- Comfortable, no-chafe design – The chest strap is mid-way down the dog pack, so it does not rub on that area and breathable mesh lining that is soft, cool, and prevents sweat rash.
- Safety features – This dog backpack features nighttime reflector strips and luminous secure lock clips to ensure that your pup is always visible.
- Money-back guarantee – Risk-free purchase as should you feel dissatisfied with the product, it comes with a money-back guarantee.
- One customer claimed that they had issues with the understrap of this particular dog backpack tearing.
- THE PACK DOGS ADORE! Dogs love little doggy backpacks! They feel important and focused and develops stronger muscle. But Bum’s Pack Dog Harness Backpack does even more! This chafe-free design safety...
- THERE ARE EVEN MORE 🤩! It can be on a hikes or outdoor adventures with Water Bottle, Reflective Stretchable Leash, Paw Cleaner, Foldable Bowl! ONE-OF-A-KIND: Just like your furry friend, this dog...
- 🧐WILL IT FIT MY DOG? Our X-LARGE backpack for dogs will fit the following dimensions: 13-inch length of spine, 23-36-inch neck circumference and 29.5-37.5-inch around their chest. Please view our...
- NO-CHAFE DESIGN 😫: We have seen some upsetting photos of dog underarms that are chafed and sore. And so, we place our chest strap mid-way down the dog pack, so it does not rub on that area, and...
- JUST CLIP YOUR LEASH ON AND ROAM! Your doggie backpack features a strong💪f front/back D-Ring so you can clip the leash on without a problem. Made from 1050D Nylon, it is water resistant, super easy...
Hiking Dog Backpack Buyer’s Guide
There are a few factors to take into account when choosing a dog backpack for hiking, but it primarily comes down to safety, size, and durability.
It is important that you invest in a high-quality dog backpack, as the main thing is that your dog is as safe and as comfortable as it can be when you’re out walking long distances away from home.
As a product that you are likely to be using regularly, if you don’t invest in a comfortable, good-quality dog backpack that is built to withstand the test of time you could end up injuring or hurting your pup.
Check out the factors below before going ahead with your purchase.
The most important and crucial factor to consider when purchasing a dog backpack for hiking is your dog’s safety.
A lot of dog backpacks for hiking come with reflective trims that are essential if you find yourself hiking or walking in the dark. In winter the nights can draw in quickly, and a reflective trim simply ensures that your dog is visible when it is dark.
This is essential when it comes to walking along the roadside with your pooch, especially if they’re off the lead. If you don’t take the proper precautions to ensure that your dog will be seen in the dark in traffic, then it could result in a serious accident.
Alongside this, a reflective trim will also help to spot them if they wander off on your hike, which is particularly helpful if you’re in dense forests or somewhere with thick trees. After all, you’ll be thankful for a flash of color if they’re blending in amongst the mud or some green bushes!
A big part of ensuring that your dog is safe when you’re out hiking is to not overload their backpack. Begin small by only adding a few essentials, and once they are used to the extra weight, slowly introduce more.
That being said, it is incredibly important that you don’t add too much to your dog’s backpack. Although a little weight is great for developing and maintaining their muscles, it is bound to use up a lot of their energy, you could risk injuring them if you overload them.
Although it’s convenient that they can carry some of their own essentials, you don’t want to be in a position whereby you’re relying on them too much.
Always check with your veterinarian before taking your dog on longer hikes than they are used to, especially when it comes to introducing the weight of a backpack.
Something important to consider when looking for a dog backpack for hiking is the size.
Generally speaking, the sizes do tend to vary and there is a large variety on the market, but you will need to ensure that you measure your dog accurately before going ahead with your purchase to get a backpack that fits correctly.
You don’t want it so big that it slips off your dog or so small that it can rub and irritate your pooch. The majority of dog backpack manufacturers have their own specific size guides, so you’ll want to follow the instructions on their website.
If your dog falls in between two sizes, then you should size up. It is better to adjust a pack down to fit your dog than try to squeeze a dog into a pack that’s too small.
That being said, if you have a smaller-sized dog, you don’t want to overwhelm them with a huge backpack so make sure that the size is relative to the size of your dog.
Something you’ll need to think about when purchasing a dog backpack for hiking is the weight. To figure out how heavy you can go, as a general rule, you should make sure the backpack isn’t more than 25% of your dog’s weight.
Generally speaking, you should always try to pick a backpack with the least weight possible, as the heavier the backpack is, the quicker your dog will become fatigued.
Most importantly, as I’ve already touched on in the safety section, the weight of the dog’s backpack is important because a backpack that is too heavy for your dog could cause them to strain and injure themself.
It is important to remember that a hike is significantly more intense than a stroll down the street. So, just like you get tired and have to put an extra effort to carry your own backpack when you’re scrambling over rocks on a hike, the same applies to your dog.
That being said, if the backpack is too heavy for your pup, you could have a bigger problem on your hands. To avoid an injured dog and having to pay an easily avoidable vet’s bill, make sure that the weight is suitable for the size of your dog.
An important factor to consider when purchasing a dog backpack for hiking is durability. If you’re a regular hiker, you’re going to want to ensure that you buy a good-quality backpack that is safe for your pup at all times!
A good indication of whether a product is durable or not is to check the product reviews section. This is where customers can write feedback, good or bad that gives you a better understanding of the brand and whether the product is worth buying. If a product hasn’t lasted, the customer will likely leave a review to tell you, so it is always worth checking.
Alongside this, if a customer has experienced bad customer service, then it is likely that they’ll leave a review detailing the problems they’ve had with the brand in question. Although problems occur every day that are beyond a company’s control, such as a product being damaged in transit, the way they fix the issue will reveal a lot about them.
If a brand has good customer service, then it is reassuring to know that should you experience a problem you’ll be able to get hold of someone. If not, then it is likely that you’ll experience the same bad customer service and might want to alter your choice accordingly.
Always do your own research and make sure that you’re happy with the customer reviews section before you go ahead with your purchase.
Something else that you’ll want to consider is whether the dog backpack is waterproof. You can’t always predict the weather, and having a waterproof dog backpack is incredibly useful when it comes to hiking trips where you know you’re going to be camping and need certain essentials to stay dry.
Water-resistant backpacks are great because they will protect the essentials such as food and treats, keeping them completely dry, even when there’s a heavy downpour. The majority of dog backpacks are water-resistant up to a certain extent, but that doesn’t mean they are completely waterproof.
Although these backpacks will resist a few raindrops, only a selected few will withstand water. If you know that where you’re hiking has unpredictable weather, then it could be worth investing in a waterproof dog backpack or look into getting a waterproof cover.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dog backpacks safe to use for hiking?
Yes, generally speaking, dog backpacks are safe provided that you invest in a good quality one that isn’t rubbing or pulling on your dog as they walk and that you don’t overload it with weight.
That being said, it is imperative that you slowly build up the weight of the essentials that they carry and slowly increase the distance. You need to take the proper steps and prepare your dog for longer distances so that they can build up their fitness. It’s a marathon, not a sprint, and you wouldn’t run a marathon without training, would you? The same goes for your pooch.
You will also need to keep a close eye on your dog and make sure that the backpack isn’t affecting how they breathe. It is normal for your dog to pant when on a long walk or hike, however, it will be obvious if that breathing becomes strained or seems as if they are struggling. If this is the case, then remove the backpack.
If in doubt, always speak to your veterinarian and get approval before taking your pup out on a long hike with a dog backpack. They will already have an idea of how long your dog should be walking and what they’re capable of physically, so it is always a good idea to check in with them before you plan a big adventure away from home.
This is especially important if you have a puppy or an older dog, as the length of the hike will potentially differ depending on your dog’s fitness level and ability. Smaller dogs sometimes are just not suited to hiking.
How much can a dog carry in a backpack?
The answer to this question will depend on the size of your dog and is subject to change.
Generally speaking, dogs can usually carry approximately 25% of their body weight, which includes the backpack itself and the possessions inside of it. That being said, some breeds can carry 10% more while older dogs and puppies will need to carry less.
It is important that you never overload your dog or make them carry more than they are ready to. To ensure that they’re ready, you must train your dog so that it is physically prepared to carry a backpack on a long hike.