Does your dog absolutely pulverize any chews you give them in a matter of minutes? You’re not alone.
Many dog owners are all too familiar with the feeling of finding that perfect chew, the one that they are certain will last at least an hour, only to find their canine companion has gobbled it down in the blink of an eye.
This is even more disappointing when you’re trying to use tasty chews as a way to keep your dog entertained when you’re away from home. The quicker they finish the chew, the more likely they are to turn their attention to other household items.
Before you know it, you’re walking into a home filled with the entrails of cushions and gnarled-up shoes.
But, it doesn’t have to be that way, and we’re here to help. Below, you’ll find a selection of the best long-lasting dog chews available.
Each of these is guaranteed to keep your dog entertained for hours and, most importantly, is appealing to their undoubtedly particular taste requirements.
We’ve also put together a useful buyer’s guide that will help you find the perfect long-lasting dog chew the first time around.
The first choice on our list is these Nutrish Soup Bones from Rachael Ray. These savory chews have a delicious, tender, meaty center that your dog will absolutely love. And, most importantly, they are designed to last a long time.
They are made in the USA using the highest quality ingredients possible including real beef and barley. As a result, they don’t contain any meat by-products or artificial flavors. This makes them an ideal choice if you’d like to give your dog something nutritious, as well as long-lasting.
These soup bones are also specially designed not to splinter or make a mess while your dog enjoys chewing on them, too. So, not only will they be kept entertained for hours, but you also don’t have to worry about cleaning up any remnants once they’re done. More important, however, no splintering reduces the risk of your dog choking on the chew.
Available in packs of 6 and 11, these long-lasting dog chews are perfect for small, medium, and large dogs alike. The packet can also be resealed to keep the chews fresher for longer.
- Savory with a meaty center – irresistible to even the fussiest of dogs
- Made using real beef and barley – no meat by-products or artificial flavors to worry about
- No splintering or mess – keeps things clean and reduces the risk of your dog choking
- Perfect for all breeds – can be given to small, medium, and large dogs
- Resealable packet – keeps the chews fresher for longer
- Not suitable for dogs under 10lbs – this means they cannot be given to some toy breeds or puppies
- Contains (1) 6 Count Bag of Soup Bones Dog Treats
- Savory, long-lasting chews with a tender, meaty center
- No meat by-products or artificial flavors
- Perfect for small, medium or large dogs
- Safely USA cooked with the world's best ingredients
The AFreschi Turkey Tendon Bone is exactly what it claims to be. It’s made solely from 100% pure turkey tendon. This means there are no additives, chemicals, preservatives, colorings, or flavorings. It’s simply an all-natural, long-lasting chew that your dog will love.
This single-ingredient formula also means it contains all of the nutrients your dog would get from fresh turkey tendons. It’s high in protein and low fat. It’s also slow-roasted rather than fried which doesn’t only mean it’s healthier but maximizes the flavor.
The reason this dog chew can last for such a long time is that each strand of turkey tendon is hand-braided together. This makes it a little more difficult to unravel and also means that it can simply be bitten off in large chunks.
It’s hypoallergenic too, making it a great choice for dogs with sensitive stomachs. It’s also a great tool for helping to keep your dog’s teeth clean and their gums healthy, as the tough construction will remove plaque and prevent tartar build-up.
- Made from 100% turkey tendon – no additives, chemicals, preservatives, colorings, or flavorings
- High-protein and low-fat – ideal for treating your to a healthy chew
- Hand-braided construction – harder to unravel and can’t be bitten off in large pieces
- Hypoallergenic – a perfect choice for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Great for your dog’s teeth – helps remove plaque and prevents tartar build-up
- Expensive – a single bone can cost as much as a whole pack of chews. However, they do last a longer time than a lot of other dog chews
- SUPERIOR QUALITY INGREDIENT : All natural dog chew treat made from a single ingredient - 100% pure turkey tendon with NO additives, NO chemicals, NO preservatives, NO antibiotics, NO artificial flavors or coloring, NO steroids, NO growth hormones, and NO other harmful ingredients. A healthy natural alternative to rawhide products.
- HIGH PALATABILITY : Delicious single ingredient, high-protein, low-fat gourmet dog chew treat hand-made from US-sourced turkeys, slow roasted for maximum flavor and proven to please the most finicky dog.
- GREAT FOR CHEWING & EASY TO DIGEST : Multiple strands of turkey tendon hand-braided to form one chew to make the treat last longer. Give yourself a break by keeping your pet busy for a while. The chew breaks off in small pieces, so is it safer and easier to digest.
- CLEANSE TEETH : Turkey tendon treat encourages chewing, naturally reducing plaque and tarter build up to improve dog dental hygiene. It is a tasty tendon treat that strengthens gums and improves overall dog dental health.
- HYPOALLERGENIC : Natural grain-free dog chew treat is made from 100% pure turkey tendon, suitable even for dogs with sensitive tummies.
Made from 100% yak and cow milk, these EcoKind Pet Treats Premium Yak Cheese Chews are the ideal choice for any dog with a taste for cheese!
Unlike a lot of other cheese-based dog chews, they don’t contain any artificial ingredients, making them a much healthier alternative.
They are specially formulated to last for hours at a time, so there’s no risk of your dog devouring them in seconds. This makes them a good choice for keeping them entertained when you’re at work or out running errands.
These long-lasting dog chews are available in a variety of sizes to suit different breeds, which means there is an option for small, medium, and large dogs. They are also completely odorless, so you don’t have to worry about them creating an unpleasant smell as they’re being enjoyed.
They are also a great way of helping to keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy. This is because they take a longer time to finish, which means they’ll remove plaque and reduce tartar build-up as your dog tries to demolish them!
- Made from 100% yak and cow milk – perfect for dogs that love the taste of cheese
- Designed to last for hours at a time – ideal if you’d like to keep your dog entertained while you’re not at home
- Odor-free – won’t create an unpleasant smell when your dog is chewing them
- Removes plaque and prevents tartar build-up – great for keeping your dog’s teeth and gums healthy
- Available in a variety of sizes – can be given to small, medium, and large dogs
- Can go moldy if not stored properly – since they are made from milk, you’ll need to keep them stored in an airtight container to prevent mold growth
- 🐶 KEEP YOUR DOG HAPPY FOR HOURS with our delicious Yak cheese EcoKind dog chews made in the Himalayas! Your doggy will love the yummy natural flavor, while you can rest assured that your pup is enjoying a healthy snack!
- 🍖 SPOIL YOUR DOGGY WITH A HEALTHY TREAT! Our mouth-watering traditional yak chews are made in Nepal using only 100% Yak and cow milk, without any preservatives, additives or artificial ingredients.
- 💯 PERFECT SIZE FOR EVERY CHEWER! If your doggie loves to chew, then our large sized 6-8” EcoKind yak dog chews made in the Himalayas are ideal for you, since they are ODORLESS and can be used both indoors and outdoors!
- 🐾 UNLIKE ALL THOSE LOW-QUALITY DOG CHEWS, the Ecokind Pet Treats canine-approved EcoKind dog chews made in the Himalayas will keep your furry friend busy for hours, help prevent plaque buildup and can be easily digested!
- 👌 THE ECOKIND PET TREATS SATISFACTION GUARANTEE! Being pet owners ourselves, we know exactly how to make your dog’s tail wag! That’s why our dog chews are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee!
Purina is renowned for creating high-quality dog food and treats, and these Prime Bones Chew Sticks are no exception.
Created using dried venison, they are suitable for small, medium, and large dogs. Whichever size you need, one thing is for certain – it will take a good few hours for your dog to finish each of them!
The antler shape of these dog chews plays on their venison flavor, and it helps to offer different angles and ridges for your dog to chew on. In turn, this helps to keep their teeth and gums healthy by removing plaque. They also contain added calcium to help strengthen your dog’s teeth and bones.
They are plastic-free and rawhide-free. This means that they are a healthier alternative to some chews and means that they are easy to digest.
Available in packs of 3, 4, 6, 9, and 12, these long-lasting dog chews aren’t as expensive as some other chews either. This makes them a great choice if you’re looking for a way to keep your dog entertained for a long time, but you don’t want to spend a small fortune in the process.
- Created from dried venison – a delicious treat with a flavor that your dog may not have experienced before
- Antler-shaped – keeps your dog’s mind stimulated by offering different chewing angles
- Keeps teeth and gums healthy – removes plaque and reduces tartar build-up
- Plastic-free and rawhide-free – healthier and easier to digest
- Budget-friendly – available in packs of 3, 4, 6, 9, and 12, and are generally less expensive than other dog chews
- Contains artificial preservatives– while these chews contain dried venison as well as natural flavors and preservatives, they do contain artificial preservatives
- (1) 21.8 ounce pouch - Purina Prime Bones Made in USA Facilities Limited Ingredient Medium Dog Treats, Chew Stick With Wild Venison
- Plastic & rawhide free dog chews
- Chew sticks made with real wild venison
- Antler-shaped, natural dog chews with added calcium
- Extra-long-lasting dog chews help clean teeth and freshen breath
With no added salt, artificial preservatives, or colors, and containing added vitamins and minerals, these Nylabone Healthy Edibles Chew Treats are a healthy, long-lasting chew that your dog will love. They are also easy to digest so, once they have finished eating them, they won’t suffer from any stomach issues.
The roast-beef flavor of these dog chews will have your dog drooling, but you can also choose from a variety of other flavors. This allows you to switch things up throughout the week and keeps things interesting for your dog.
Since chewing through them takes quite a bit of work, your dog’s teeth will be given a good clean at the same time. This makes them a great choice if you struggle to brush your dog’s teeth yourself.
There are three size options to choose from, allowing you to find the best long-lasting dog chews for your breed of dog. The small size is suitable for dogs weighing up to 25lbs, the ‘wolf’ size is for dogs weighing up to 35lbs, and the ‘souper’ size is for 50lb+ dogs.
- All-natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals – a perfect, healthy dog chew that will take a long time to finish
- Multiple flavors – choose between roast beef, chicken, bacon, and more
- Cleans teeth while chewing – removes plaque and reduces tartar build-up
- Available in different sizes – allows you to choose the perfect chew for your dog’s breed
- Larger dogs may finish sooner – some people with larger breeds of dog noted that these chews were finished within the day, whereas it takes smaller breeds a lot longer to finish them
- Longer lasting, highly digestible natural dog treat
- Healthy, natural dog bone your dog will love
- Dog treats contain no added salt, artificial preservatives, or artificial colors
- Treats for dogs up to 50 pounds
- Flavored dog treat contains delicious roast beef flavor dogs love
Long Lasting Dog Chew Buyer’s Guide
There’s no doubt that you love your dog and, as such, you want to give them the best long-lasting dog chews you can find. But, it’s easy to focus on the wrong thing when you’re buying dog chews.
Sure, you want them to taste delicious, but are they made from top-quality ingredients? And do they offer any other health benefits?
Below, we’ll take a look at some of the most important things to keep in mind when you start looking for long-lasting dog chews. Taking the extra time to consider each of these points will help steer you in the right direction and find that perfect, healthy, long-lasting chew that your dog will love.
The first, and one of the most important things you need to think about is your dog’s breed. Are they a small dachshund, or a large German shepherd?
Not all chews are created equal, and giving a larger chew to a smaller dog could potentially cause them harm. This is because they’ll be tougher to chew and harder to digest.
With this in mind, take a moment to look at the variety of sizes available when considering a certain chew. This is quite easy as most brands will label their chews ‘small’, ‘medium’, or ‘large’. However, if they are marked a little more uniquely, take a look at what weight they are suitable for.
Next, take some time to look at what ingredients have gone into your chosen dog chews.
Most long-lasting dog chews are made from all-natural ingredients, and this is always the best option. This means that there aren’t any nasty chemicals going into your dog’s stomach as they make their way through their chew.
Likewise, if your dog has certain sensitivities, paying attention to the ingredients is very important. For example, if they are wheat-sensitive, you’ll need to make sure the chews you’re looking at don’t contain wheat.
Some dog chews will contain artificial preservatives, which helps to ensure they last longer. This isn’t too much of a concern, really. But, if you’d prefer to keep things as natural as possible, look for dog chews that contain absolutely no artificial preservatives or ingredients whatsoever.
While you’ll be concerned about ingredients, your dog will really only have one thing on their mind – the delicious flavor of the dog chew! There are loads of flavor options available to choose from, which makes it much easier to find one that your dog will love.
It’s a good idea to purchase a few different flavors if you can. This allows you to change things up throughout the week and keeps things interesting for your dog.
Something to think about: Some fish flavors like salmon dog chews are popular but can be a little stinky for humans…
This something that’s often overlooked when it comes to finding long-lasting dog chews, but the shape of the chew is actually quite important for a couple of reasons.
To begin with, it can help with your dog’s dental health. Ridges, twists, and crevices will help to remove plaque while your dog is chewing. And, as more plaque is removed, the chances of tartar building up on your dog’s teeth are reduced too. They help to strengthen the gums, as well.
Another reason why shaped dog chews are great for dogs is that it keeps their brain engaged while they are chewing. They are given the opportunity to assess the chew and approach it from different angles, working out what the most effective way of chewing it is.
Chewing is only half the battle. Once your dog has broken a piece off, they’ll eat it and it will make its way to their stomach. For this reason, you want to make sure that the chews are easy to digest.
Plastic-free and rawhide-free chews are always the best options here, as they will be easy for your dog’s digestive system to process and won’t cause any stomach upsets. If you’ve chosen a chew with all-natural ingredients, the chances are that it won’t contain plastic or rawhide anyway, but it’s always worth checking.
Some long-lasting dog chews are hypoallergenic. These are a great choice for dogs with sensitive stomachs as they’ll be easy to digest without causing any discomfort.
Finally, it’s a good idea to choose a long-lasting dog chew that you know you’ll be able to purchase fairly regularly without breaking the bank.
While it can be tempting to treat your dog to a more expensive chew, they will eventually finish it, even if it’s designed to last for ages.
Choose something that’s high-quality and built to last, but that you’ll also be able to afford whenever you run out of them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What dog chew lasts the longest?
There are a few great dog chews that last a long time. Rachael Ray’s Soup Bones are a good choice if you find your dog finished chews too quickly, as is the AFreschi Turkey Tendon Bone.
Take a look at our top choices of the best long-lasting dog bones above to learn more about them.
What kind of dog chews are best for dogs?
A long-lasting dog chew that is made from all-natural ingredients is the best kind to choose for your dog.
These are generally much healthier than those that contain artificial ingredients, and they are easier for your dog to digest.
Plastic and unnatural dog chews can be dangerous (Tufts University) if chunks break off or sharp parts are ingested.
Should I give my dog a chew when I leave home?
Giving your dog a chew when you leave home is a great way to keep them busy and occupied while you’re away.