German Shepherds are known for their guarding instincts, loyalty, and companionship. They make great home guards as well as family pets. If you own one, you must regularly groom the animal to keep them in good health and strengthen your bond with it.
One way of grooming your German Shepherd is by brushing its fur to detangle, remove excess hair and dirt, and maintain its skin health.
In this guide, we’ll introduce you to the five best brushes for German Shepherds that work excellently.
Overview of the Best Brushes for German Shepherds in 2023
In case you are in a hurry, you can pick your German Shepherd brush from our top two selections below:
Best Overall: Pet Neat Grooming Brush
- Offers more than 95% clearance of loose, matted hair
- Works excellently, in short, medium, and long German Shepherd hair
- Easy to clean and maintain
Best for Detangling: Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs
- Self-protecting bristles which do not bend
- Retracts for easy cleaning and hair removal
5 Best Brushes for German Shepherds in 2023
Below is a detailed review of the 5 best German Shepherd grooming brushes in 2023:
Best Overall: Pet Neat Grooming Brush
Are the growing mats on your German Shepherd’s coat becoming a grooming headache? Get the Pet Neat grooming brush today and enjoy 95% removal of matted and loose hair within minutes.
- Best pet grooming tool! Leave behind the grooming headache, removing up to 95% of dead hair and tangles from your cat and dog easily IN JUST 10 MINUTES! Keep your furniture and floors free of pet hair...
- A durable shedding tool! This dog and cat comb is MADE TO LAST through long years of effortless pet grooming! With the 100mm STAINLESS STEEL BLADE protected by a cover for your safety and the blade...
- Healthy, shiny pet coat! Rid your four-legged friend of undercoat and loose hair effortlessly, and keep at bay allergies by frequently brushing them! Have your pet thankful for the professional...
- TA Thoughtful gift to all pet owners! Easy to use and causing not a speck of discomfort, this grooming brush will put a wide smile on the face of the lucky pet owner! It will relieve their dog or cat...
- 100% SATISFACTION: All Pet Neat products are satisfaction for life. Click Add to Cart now!
The Pet Neat brush features stainless steel blades that penetrate through the dog’s top coat to the undercoat to remove any loose and matted hair.
Its ergonomic handle allows for a better grip for extended shedding.
In addition, the handle features an eyelet to allow for efficient hanging/storage. It delivers great results in brushing all hair sizes, including short, medium, and long hair.
Press the quick-release button on the head of the brush to replace the blades or remove them for efficient cleaning.
The package includes the de-shedding tool, 100mm stainless steel comb, and 4 free ebooks for dog breeding. Use the ebooks to familiarize yourself with the basic first-aid tips for German Shepherds and how to keep their fur and skin in top-notch condition.
- Durable comb
- Includes free ebooks for German Shepherd breeding
- Removes more than 95% loose or matted hair
- Lacks self-cleaning feature
Best for Detangling: Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs
The self-cleaning brush by Hertzko is your go-to option if you are looking for a slicker brush to remove mats off your German Shepherd’s hair. It works great on all German Shepherd hairs, from medium to long to curly.
- #1 Cat & Dog Brush - Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets; trusted by millions of pet owners
- Effective - Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt & debris, keeps coat looking shiny and healthy
- Versatile - Great for cats & dogs of all fur types
- Easy to Clean - Simply retract bristles with the push of a button, then wipe away collected fur
- Smart Design - Fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it easy to keep your pet looking happy & healthy
Due to its efficiency in combing dogs, the Hertzko self-cleaning slicker brush was listed as Spruce Pets’ best overall dog/cat brush.
One of the amazing features of this brush is its soft, angled bristles, great for removing dirt, mats, tangles, and loose hair to reduce shedding and keep the skin healthy.
Push the button at the top of the brush to retract the bristles for effective combing and cleaning.
The brush is easy to use. Thanks to the comfortable grip and the lightweight designs of the brush, which enhance the user’s comfort.
- Removes mats, tangles, and loose hair painlessly
- The bristles do not bend during use.
- Easy to clean, given the retraction feature
- It might not be comfortable for short-haired dogs.
Best for Deshedding: Furminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool
Enjoy up to 90% loose hair removal from your German Shepherd using the curved de-shedding brush by Furminator.
- FOR LARGE DOGS WITH LONG HAIR: Designed especially for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds.
- REMOVES LOOSE HAIR: Reaches through the topcoat to remove loose undercoat hair without cutting skin or damaging the topcoat (when used as directed).
- FOR LONG HAIR: Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoat.
- FUREJECTOR BUTTON: Push to release hair with ease.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE: For comfortable, easy grooming.
The Furminator’s 7.05 ounces brush boasts a curved stainless steel de-shedding edge that works through the dog’s top coat into the undercoat to remove loose hair without tearing the skin.
I love how the curved edges conform to the dog’s natural shape, giving me and my dog an unparalleled combing experience. The edge guard at the sides also works great in preventing the stainless steel edges from digging into my dog’s skin.
Use the fur ejector button at the front of the brush to release any trapped hair to keep the comb in a top-notch performance.
The brush’s ergonomic handle fits comfortably into your hand to give you a seamless grooming experience. It comes in small, medium, and large sizes to fit dogs of all sizes.
- Enhanced comfort, given the curved edges
- Easy release of the collected hair
- It doesn’t interfere with the top coat or the undercoat.
- A reusable device with the stainless steel blade.
- The handle may loosen with age .
Best for Coarse or Long Coats: Coastal Pet Safari Dog Deal-sided Comb
The Safari Dual-Sided Dog Shedding brush is specially made to reduce shedding, promote healthy skin and restore the natural luster in your German Shepherd’s coat.
- Serrated Stainless Steel Blades: This dog brush for matted hair removes stubborn mats and tangles
- Long Hair Dog Brush: This dematting dog comb can be used on both medium- and long-haired dog coats
- Dog Combs for Matted Hair: The perfect grooming comb for dogs with coarse or long, matted coats
- Grooming Kit: This dog hair brush features a grip handle for owners that makes it easy to control
- Coastal Pet Cares: We design and deliver quality products that people trust for the pets they love
It boasts serrated stainless steel blades, which are widely spaced for removing mats, tangles, and loose hair without pulling or tearing the undercoat.
Though designed for German Shepherds with coarse and matted coats, the brush is also great for combing dogs with medium to long-haired coats.
The Coastal pet safari dog comb is easy to use due to its lightweight (3.84 ounces) and compact (1.5 x 4 x 10 inches) designs.
Better still, the brush comes with a non-slip handle to enhance your grip and reduce the chances of accidents while brushing.
For excellent results, brush the German Shepherd’s coat following the direction of hair growth, from head to tail, then proceed down the legs. On the other hand, brush against the direction of hair growth if you want to fluff the dog’s coat.
- Sturdy bristles for ridding mats and tangles
- Easy to use
- Not ideal for short-haired German Shepherds
Best Multi-Purpose: Anshar Dog Brush for Shedding and Grooming
Give your German Shepherd an enjoyable combing experience using the Anshar Dog Brush For Shedding and Grooming.
- Shedding Aid: Is shedding a hairy situation for you? By getting under that undercoat, this pet brush can help reduce shedding and helps promote healthy blood flow. (Plus, your pet will love it!)
- Built to Last: Your furry friend deserves the best, and this dog and cat brush for shedding and grooming is a great way to tell them. This deshedder won't snap on even course, matted hair.
- No-Slip Handle: Don't get knotted down! The non-slip handle on our dog and cat grooming brush moves through long or short haired fur with ease.
- Quick Release: The handle on this cat and dog shedding brush comes with a quick-release button for easy blade removal and cleaning!
- For All Pets: This brush isn't just for our typical pets out there - it's great for any pet with fur! With the stainless steel shedding blades, you can say goodbye to excess fur of all kinds.
Anshar’s dog hair shedding and grooming tool comes with stainless steel blades to give you and your German Shepherd an unparalleled grooming experience.
The blades are detachable to allow for easy removal and cleaning. The blades aside, the Anshar dog brush’s handle is tailored to fit your hand comfortably to allow longer combing sessions.
In the rear section of the handle, the Anshar dog brush features an eyelet to allow for efficient hanging/storage when the brush is not in use.
It comes in multiple sizes to offer options for different sizes of German Shepherds. The Anshar brush works excellently in brushing short, medium, and long hair without tearing your dog’s skin.
- Easy to use and clean
- Works excellently on different dog coats
- Doesn’t tear the dog’s skin
- The handle may loosen with age.
Winding Up: Best Brushes For German Shepherds
Grooming your German Shepherd with a high-quality brush is a great way of strengthening your bond with it.
Our best overall brush for German Shepherds is the grooming brush by Pet Neat. We love it because it offers more than 95% clearance of loose, matted hair and other forms of dirt.
In addition, Pet Neat’s brush works excellently in short, medium, and long hair without hurting your dog’s skin. The included four free ebooks are also a plus.
The second best brush on our list is the Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush due to its self-cleaning feature and ability to detangle and de-matt both medium and long hair without bending.
The remaining three brushes are equally great for grooming your German Shepherds, so you can feel free to pick any of them. For best results, be sure to choose a brush whose size fits your dog’s hair and body size.