Any dog owner will tell you that puppy smell is one of the most challenging things to manage.
While it’s true that puppies are adorable, they tend to carry around a bit of an odor.
Many remedies have been put forward to lessen a puppy’s smell. But, unfortunately, most don’t work all that well or only work for a short time.
Puppy shampoos seem to do the trick the best. Try to find a shampoo specifically designed to work against the puppy smell.
That is, however, easier said than done because most manufacturers don’t put that information on their product labels.
For that reason, we have put together a list of the best puppy shampoos to help lessen puppy smell so you don’t have to go through the same trial and error that we did.
- Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Shampoo
- Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Puppy Shampoo
- Earthbath All Natural Mango Tango 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo, Waterless No Rinse Shampoo
- Richard’s Organics Deodorizing Shampoo for Dogs
- Buddy Wash’s Lavender & Mint 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner
- TropiClean papaya and coconut 2-in-1 pet shampoo & conditioner
- Wahl 4-in-1 Calming Shampoo
- Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo for All Dogs & Puppies
Table of Contents
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Shampoo
Nature’s Miracle is a trusted name in pet care, so it’s no surprise that their Supreme Odor Control Shampoo made our list.
- FOR DOGS ONLY: Specially formulated shampoo for dogs.
- COTTON BREEZE SCENT: Freshens with a light scent, leaves your dog smelling nice and clean.
- ODOR NEUTRALIZING FORMULA: Helps neutralize odors and leaves no wet dog smell.
- WITH KERATIN AND ALOE VERA: Safe for pets when used and stored as directed.
- PUPPY FORMULA: Gentle formula is safe for puppies’ sensitive skin.
This shampoo is designed to:
- Attack odor
- Deep clean pet coat
- Condition pet skin
Notably, it does a great job of neutralizing the puppy smell. It’s also safe for puppies as young as six weeks old.
Fresh ‘n Clean Scented Puppy Shampoo
PetAg is another well-known pet care brand, and their Fresh n’ Clean Scented Puppy Shampoo is an excellent choice for dealing with the puppy smell.
- Soothing Agents: Aloe vera leaf juice and vitamin E gently clean the hair and lock in moisturizer
- Cleansing Shampoo for Dogs: Provides a fresh, soft, and shiny coat while strengthening and repairing hair
- Doggie Odor Control: Has a long-lasting classic fresh scent that clings to hair for up to 2 weeks
- Ready-To-Use Formula: Keep pets smelling fresh and clean between baths or trips to the groomer with this shampoo
This shampoo is designed to drench your puppy’s coat in a refreshing, clean scent that will last for days.
It’s also pH balanced and hypoallergenic, making it a good choice for puppies with sensitive skin.
Earthbath All Natural Mango Tango 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner
If you’re looking for an all-natural option, Earthbath’s Mango Tango 2-in-1 Shampoo & Conditioner is fabulous.
- CONDITIONS & DETANGLES: This 2-in-1 formula is a shampoo and conditioner in one. The luscious botanical fragrance of tropical mangoes combined with an exceptionally mild shampoo adds brilliance and...
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Blended with the finest ingredients, such as renewable plant-derived and coconut-based cleansers, organic aloe vera, and vitamin E. NO PARABENS, NO DYES, NO SOAP, NO...
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind. We believe the ingredients that touch your pet's coat and skin should be as naturally effective,...
- CRUELTY FREE: We at earthbath have a genuine love for pets and concern for the environment. Since 1995, these passions have been at the heart of everything we do, from the ingredients we put into our...
- HAPPINESS GUARANTEE: We are so sure you will love this product that we will refund your money if you are not satisfied for any reason
This shampoo is made with 100% natural ingredients, and it’s designed to leave your puppy’s coat soft, shiny, and smelling great.
It’s also safe to use on puppies as young as eight weeks old hence it can be considered one of the best shampoos to lessen puppy smell.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo
If your puppy has a skin condition like mange or seborrhea, you’ll need a medicated shampoo to treat it.
Veterinary Formula’s Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo is a great choice.
This shampoo is designed to treat a variety of skin conditions, and it’s safe to use on puppies as young as 12 weeks old.
It also leaves your dog smelling fresh and clean.
Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo, Waterless No Rinse Shampoo
If your puppy has sensitive skin, you’ll need to be careful about the shampoo you use.
- NATURAL COCONUT-DERIVED FORMULA - Does not contain alcohols, dyes, SLS, parabens, or other harsh chemicals. Our dry shampoo for dogs is safe for all breeds, small and large dogs, and for sensitive...
- CAN’T DO A FULL BATH? YOU CAN USE IT ANYTIME, ANYWHERE - Our dog dry shampoo is perfect for extending the time between baths, smelly dogs, traveling, between professional grooming, odor control,...
- EFFECTIVELY DEODORIZES AND CONDITIONS - Unlike most colognes and sprays, our foam waterless shampoo for dogs actually neutralizes odor and doesn’t just mask it with fragrance. Our dog waterless...
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA in a state of the art, certified GMP facility with the highest quality ingredients and safety standards. Cruelty Free.
- OUR BRAND PROMISE TO YOU - We believe in our products and always stand by them. If any of our products don’t work out for any reason, we’ll take care of you. As an independently-owned USA company,...
Many shampoos are too harsh for puppies with sensitive skin, but Paw Choice’s Dry Dog Shampoo is a great choice.
This shampoo is designed to be gentle on sensitive skin and is also hypoallergenic and unscented.
Plus, it’s a dry shampoo, so you don’t have to worry about rinsing it off.
Richard’s Organics Deodorizing Shampoo for Dogs
If you’re looking for an all-natural option, Richard’s Organics Deodorizing Shampoo for dogs is great.
- REMOVE ODORS: Deodorizing Dog Shampoo contains baking soda, zinc, aloe vera, rosemary extract and lavender oil to help remove odors naturally and effectively, leaving your pet smelling great
- SHINY HEALTHY COAT: The shampoo for smelly dogs contains natural extracts and oils to soothe skin and leave the coat clean, moisturized, shiny, healthy and smelling great
- VET RECOMMENDED: This natural shampoo is formulated for dogs and cats over 8 weeks. It is paraben, dye, and soap-free – perfect for pets with sensitive skin. This safe and effective pet hair shampoo...
- FOR BEST RESULTS: Apply pet shampoo, work into a lather and leave on coat for several minutes. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry. It’s safe for frequent use
- EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE: SynergyLabs’ Richard’s Organics pet wellness products are created with premium ingredients that are available at a price that pet parents can afford. We know your dog and...
This shampoo is made with 100% organic ingredients and is designed to leave your puppy’s coat clean and smell fresh.
It’s also safe for puppies as young as eight weeks old.
And because it is made in the USA, you can be confident that it is a safe and high-quality product.
Buddy Wash’s Lavender & Mint 2-in-1 Shampoo + Conditioner
Buddy Wash’s Lavender & Mint 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner is a great choice for puppies with sensitive skin.
- 2-in-1 shampoo + conditioner cleans and moisturizes your dog’s coat
- Gentle all natural formula provides a soothing bath time experience
- Natural herbs and oils, calming effects of lavender and mint
- Safe for frequent use, even on puppies
- Made in the USA
This shampoo is made with 100% natural ingredients, and it’s designed to be gentle on your puppy’s skin and coat.
The lavender and mint scent is also refreshing and relaxing, making it a great choice for baths before bedtime.
The ingredients are 100% sourced in the USA so that you can be confident in their quality and safety.
TropiClean Papaya and Coconut 2-in-1 Pet Shampoo & Conditioner
TropiClean’s Papaya and Coconut 2-in-1 Pet Shampoo & Conditioner is a great choice for an all-natural, gentle shampoo.
- Cleans & Conditions – Dog shampoo & conditioner duo cleans the coat of dirt & debris while conditioning the coat for easy brushing.
- Moisturizes Dry Skin – Luxurious lather hydrates the skin and coat leaving it soft and healthy.
- Eliminates Dog Smell – Refreshing scent of papaya & coconut takes your pet to a tropical paradise with every bath!
- Softens the Coat – Papaya, kiwi, mango, pomegranate, yucca, chamomile, and aloe extracts leave the coat feeling silky soft.
- Tough on Dirt, Not Pets — Gentle coconut cleanser gives a soap-free clean, so you don't have to worry about washing away topical treatments.
This shampoo is made with papaya and coconut, which are gentle and soothing for sensitive skin.
It’s also safe for puppies as young as 12 weeks old.
This shampoo will leave your puppy smelling fresh and clean and help relieve any itchiness or irritation.
Wahl 4-in-1 Calming Shampoo
Wahl’s 4-in-1 Calming Shampoo is a great choice if your puppy is feeling stressed.
- Made in the USA - Our lavender chamomile pet shampoo is pH balanced, alcohol free, paraben free, PEG-80 free and is highly recommended for cleaning, conditioning, detangling, & moisturizing coats
- Calming Formula – This lavender scented pet shampoo is great for cleaning dirty coats, coat conditioning & detangling, & skin moisturizing short to long coats. The thick lather rinses off clean &...
- Less is More - Wahl has a higher concentrate of coconut derived sodding agent, which means you don’t have to use as much as other dog shampoos. A little bit of shampoo goes a long way and provides a...
- Allergy Friendly - Our dog icon, Rocket, was designed in the image of our family dog Cooper – a golden doodle, who has severe allergies. This is the only shampoo we have found safe and effective. He...
- The Brand Used by Professionals - Wahl has been serving professional vets and groomers for over 50 years. clean, condition fur & hair for a smooth, soft coat. We are a company of animal lovers that...
This shampoo is made with lavender and chamomile, which are calming and soothing for puppies.
It’s also safe for puppies as young as 12 weeks old.
This shampoo will leave your puppy calm, and relaxed and help relieve any anxiety and stress.
Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo for All Dogs & Puppies
If you’re looking for a mild and friendly shampoo for puppies but still get the job done, Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo is a great choice.
- BABY YOUR BABY - For tender new puppy skin or dogs with sensitive dermal conditions, our kindest shampoo is formulated to cleanse while being extra gentle. No tears or angry allergies allowed!
- NATURE’S BEST INGREDIENTS - Made with aloe vera extract, which smoothes the cuticle surface and seals in moisture for skin and coat; restorative rosemary, to stimulate follicle growth; and gentle...
- SAFE, EFFECTIVE, NATURAL - No masking dyes. No drying alcohols. No parabens that can mess up a dog’s endocrine system. All of the good stuff, none of the bad: that’s what Rocco & Roxie is all...
- MAKE BATH TIME A BREEZE - Wash away a day of play in minutes. Our formula is easy to shampoo in, easy to rinse out completely. Towel dry or whole-body shake? Maybe a little of both.
- 100% GUARANTEE - We want you to be completely satisfied. We want your dog to look and feel her best. If this shampoo doesn’t do both, don’t work yourself into a lather—we’ll send your money...
This shampoo is made with aloe and oatmeal, both gentle and soothing for sensitive skin.
The ingredients are formulated to soothe dry and itchy skin.
It is also hypoallergenic and safe for puppies as young as 12 weeks.
This shampoo will leave your puppy’s coat clean, soft, and healthy, and since it is made in the USA, you can rest assured of your dog’s safety.
So there you have it! These are just a few of the best shampoos for puppies with smelly skin.
Always test a small amount of shampoo on your puppy’s skin before using it to ensure they don’t have any adverse reactions.
And if your puppy’s skin is still giving off an unpleasant odor after shampooing, consult your veterinarian to rule out any underlying health conditions.