English Bulldogs are a popular dog breed that requires as much grooming attention as other dogs despite having a shorter coat than many other breeds.
As a brachycephalic breed, they’re prone to chronic skin problems around their facial and skin folds, from itchiness to dryness.
Finding an ideal shampoo for this breed can feel overwhelming if you don’t know what to look for, so I compiled this list of the best Bulldog shampoo to streamline your search.
1. Best Overall – The Bully Company Bulldog Shampoo
My best overall pick for the best Bulldog shampoo is The Bully Company Bulldog Shampoo. This dog shampoo formula is explicitly formulated for Bulldogs and other Bully breeds, making it ideal for meeting any English Bulldog’s grooming needs.
- Bully Shampoo Helps with Itchy dry Allergy Prone Skin. Works great on all dog breeds and hair length
- Key all Natural Organic formula without the use of Chemicals or added scents. Made here in the U.S.A
- Oils Herbs Promote Beautiful Skin by Moisturizing Replenishing Maintaining Healthy Skin Coat Barrier
- Original Bully Shampoo Safe to remove dirt without drying skin. Helps balance healthy skin Naturally
- Keeps your Bully clean, Healthy and Happy
It removes dirt from your English Bulldog’s coat and destroys bacterial growth without drying out their skin, making it ideal for frequent use. Its recipe incorporates several natural ingredients, like coconut oil, aloe vera filet, and neem oil, to enhance its moisturizing properties.
Although this dog shampoo has excellent dirt-removal properties, it doesn’t lather well, so you’ll need to use extra per washing session. Despite lacking artificial fragrances, its botanical scent can smell overpowering to some owners.
- Made with natural herbs and oils
- Ideal for daily use
- Prevents and destroys bacterial growth
- Formulated for Bulldogs and other Bully breeds
- Overpowering scent
- Poor lathering ability
2. Best Budget-Friendly – Healthy Breeds Bulldog Deodorizing Shampoo
Finding the best Bulldog shampoo on a tight budget can feel overwhelming, but Healthy Breeds Bulldog Deodorizing Shampoo is the best breed-specific option to consider when choosing something affordable.
- Keep Your Dog Fresh And Clean With The Delicious Sweet Pea Vanilla Scent! Get Rid Of The Wet Doggy Smell!
- Ph Balanced! The Best Shampoos Are Between 5.00-7.00 On The Ph Scale In Order To Keep The Vibrant Color, Shine And Health! The Shampoo Also Contains Essential Fatty Acids That Nourish And Aid In The...
- Hypoallergenic Formula Is Safe For Use With Topical Flea Control Treatments. Healthy Breeds Deodorizing Shampoo Is Gentle And Soap-Free Leaving Your Dog’S Coat Silky And Lustrous!
- Buy With Confidence! Made In The Usa! All Shampoos Made In Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities! Excellent Customer Service And Return Policy. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!
- Healthy Breeds Offers An Assortment Of Dog Healthcare Products, Grooming Products And Treats For Over 200 Breeds! Make Sure To Search For Your Breed! Click The Healthy Breeds Hyperlink Above To See...
This hypoallergenic shampoo is soap and detergent-free and contains several nourishing essential fatty acids that promote excellent hydration of your English Bulldog’s coat and skin while eliminating strong odors. Its formula is ideal for frequent use and won’t wash away topical flea treatments.
This shampoo’s packaging can be prone to cracking around the cap. This formula isn’t tear-free and can cause eye irritation.
- Soap and detergent-free formula
- Doesn’t wash away topical flea-control treatments
- Excellent moisturizing properties
- Subpar packaging
- Can cause eye irritation
3. Best for English Bulldog Puppies – PET CARE Sciences Tearless Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner
The best Bulldog shampoo you should use when bathing a puppy is PET CARE Sciences Tearless Puppy Shampoo & Conditioner. This formula won’t irritate your English Bulldog puppy’s eyes and is gentle on pups with sensitive skin.
- Tearless Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner - PET CARE Sciences Tearless Puppy Shampoo is one of many puppy supplies you will need to deal with your furry friend. Helping leave your puppy smelling great...
- Best Puppy Shampoo - Highest quality professional grade formula. Natural Oat helps soothe and nourish delicate skin. Coconut is used to hydrate your pets coat. Packed with natural Aloe to freshen the...
- Sensitive Skin Dog Shampoo - Gentle dog shampoo is not just for puppies. If your dog suffers with sensitive itchy skin. Our tearless dog shampoo helps soothe and protect skin in between washes whilst...
- Easy to Use - Simply wet your dogs coat, apply product and work into a rich lather. Then simply rinse through with water. Perfect for dogs over the age of 12 weeks. Available in 8 fl oz, 16 fl oz and...
- PET CARE Sciences - We know that your pet's health and happiness is incredibly important to you, and rightly so. PET CARE Sciences is here to help safely maintain the health of your precious pets....
It’s safe to use on puppies 12 weeks and older, regardless of their breed. This paraben-free formula incorporates oats, coconut, and aloe to soothe and hydrate your puppy’s skin and coat without stripping its natural oils.
Despite being made with naturally sourced ingredients, this shampoo has an intense aroma that some people and dogs might find unpleasant.
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- Safe for puppies 12 weeks and older
- Nourishing natural ingredients
- Unpleasant fragrance
4. Best All Natural – 4Legger Organic Dog Shampoo
4Legger Organic Dog Shampoo is the best shampoo English Bulldog owners can use if they prefer using shampoo formulas with natural ingredients. Its vegan-friendly, non-GMO recipe includes coconut oil, rosemary extract, aloe vera, and jojoba oil, which keeps your dog’s coat shiny, brightens white fur, and reduces skin inflammation.
- Best for pets with dry itchy skin, allergies or those that need a fragrance free unscented gentle solution or add your own aromatherapy essential oils!
- Easy to lather and rinse; No synthetic thickeners that add toxicity to your dog's bath; A little goes a long way to get rid of that wet dog smell!
- Veterinarian and Groomer recommended as an all natural and effective solution for dogs of all ages - safe for your puppy, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, ferret and other small animal
It has excellent lathering properties and doesn’t contain artificial thickeners. However, it can be hard to wash out and leaves a grimy residue on your English Bulldog’s coat if you don’t rinse it thoroughly.
- Made with natural organic oils
- Brightens white fur
- Vegan-friendly formula
- It might leave a grimy residue
5. Best for Shedding Control – TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo
Excessive shedding can be a symptom of underlying health problems for English Bulldogs, so it’s essential to find a shampoo formula suitable for remedying this issue. TropiClean Perfect Fur Dog Shampoo has a formula tailored for smooth-coated breeds that reduces shedding, restores any dog coat’s luster, and gently hydrates canine skin.
- SMOOTH OPERATOR - A dog wash made for breeds with smooth body hugging coats making it the perfect shampoo for Bulldogs, Pitbulls and similar breeds.
- A PERFECT FUR DAY - Reduce dog shedding, hydrate and strengthen hair follicles so your pup can stay on the smooth side.
- SKIN FRIENDLY - Our moisturizing dog shampoo is made with potato protein and sweet potato extract to boost softness and restore shine.
- PERFECTLY MADE - We proudly make our pet shampoo in the USA with ingredients like fruit extracts and provitamin B5 for a healthy coat.
- NOBODY LEFT OUT - More than one dog? Shampoo for dogs should be as unique as their coats. That’s why Perfect Fur has something for everyone!
Its sweet citrus fragrance keeps your dog’s coat smelling fresh for days. Its natural ingredients include rice protein for conditioning and protecting damaged fur, vitamin E for enhanced moisturizing, and cationic guar gum for softening coats.
You might need to use extra shampoo per bathing session since it doesn’t lather quickly as other formulas.
- Reduces shedding
- Fresh citrus aroma
- Formulated for smooth-coated breeds
- Poor lathering ability
6. Best Hypoallergenic – K9 Pro Shampoo
The best shampoo for English Bulldogs with flaky and itchy skin is K9 Pro Shampoo. This hypoallergenic medicated shampoo formula incorporates oatmeal, aloe vera, cucumber extract, and melon extract that soothes dry and flaky skin and keeps coats shiny.
- Most Other Shampoo For Dogs Are Cheap Soaps - Many With Harsh Chemicals And Detergents - K9-Max Is An All Natural Soap Free Vet Developed Formula That Is So Effective You Won't Believe it Is All...
- Proprietary Liposome Technology - Nano Liposome particles encapsulate the organic functional ingredients, adhere to the surface and penetrate through the skin, and thus carry the ingredients to areas...
- K9-Max Is The Highest Quality Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo - We didn't sacrifice quality when we set out to produce the best dog shampoo ever available on amazon or anywhere. Made in the USA -...
- Turn Bath Time Into Play Time - Your dog will love this time you get to spend together. In a tub or shower K9-Max pet wash shampoo applies easily using warm water. Simply wet your pet thoroughly then...
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - We are so confident you and your dog will love this premium dog shampoo that if you are not satisfied for any reason - just let us know, and we will refund your purchase...
It doesn’t contain harsh soaps, detergents, and chemicals, ensuring less inflammation on your dog’s skin. It lathers well, so you don’t have to waste extra shampoo during each bath.
Despite being one of the most-effective shampoo formulas for English Bulldogs with hotspots, its medicinal aroma can be a bit overbearing for some dog owners.
- Soothes dry, flaky skin
- Soap-free formula
- Excellent lathering properties
- Overpowering medicinal scent
7. Best Deodorizing – The Blissful Dog Stinky Filthy Dog Shampoo
If your English Bulldog is prone to smelly facial and body folds, The Blissful Dog Stinky Filthy Dog Shampoo is your best option for eliminating odors. Its deep-cleansing formula removes dirt easily and ensures a shiny and soft coat.
- Deodorizes, deep cleans & shines
- Patented odor-neutralizing ingredients cuts "doggy" odor
- Adds texture with fabulous sodding, while still easy to rinse
- Subtle scent of lime, honeysuckle and jasmine
- Professional Shampoo is ready to use or dilute up to 10:1
If your English Bulldog has sensitive skin, you can dilute this formula with ten parts water and one part shampoo. You can also apply it to your dog’s coat without diluting it.
This shampoo keeps your dog smelling clean for days and has a subtle yet long-lasting lime, honeysuckle, and jasmine aroma.
Consider checking the packaging thoroughly since it can leak or come with an unsealed cap.
- Subtle lime, honeysuckle, and jasmine scent
- Can be used with or without dilution
- Deep-cleansing odor removal
- Poor bottle quality
Things To Consider When Choosing the Best Shampoo for English Bulldogs
Before choosing the best Bulldog shampoo, there are several factors you’ll need to consider to ensure it’s the best fit for your dog.
Here are a few examples to help you get started during your search:
Skin Condition and Age
The best shampoo for your English Bulldog should match its breed-specific coat and skin care needs. Several moisturizing formulas are ideal for treating itchiness or bacterial infections like skin fold pyoderma.
Consider looking for a shampoo matching your English Bulldog’s age since some adult dog formula’s ingredients might be too harsh on younger puppies’ skin.
Consider looking for dog shampoo containing natural ingredients and vitamins, like aloe vera, vitamin E, oatmeal, and coconut oil. These formulas are less likely to cause skin irritation than a shampoo with harsh detergents, sulfates, and parabens.
Shampoos with artificial fragrances are more likely to trigger skin allergies in some English Bulldogs. If you’re not a fan of overpowering aromas, consider picking an unscented shampoo or one with natural fragrances.
If you’re looking for a shampoo that helps you clean more areas of your English Bulldog in less time, you’ll need a shampoo formula that isn’t watery and lathers well without wasting shampoo.
Some dog shampoos let you scrub the formula directly into your dog’s coat. In contrast, others recommend diluting it with water before applying it to your dog to reduce potential skin irritation caused by its concentrated ingredients.
The best Bulldog shampoo should have plenty of cleansing properties to manage the breed’s short coats and facial and body folds. Consider bathing your English Bulldog every six to eight weeks to prevent escalating their potential skin problems.
Regardless of the shampoo you choose, you’re bound to find one that suits your dog’s needs and enhances their bathtime.