Dog owners love their pets but sometimes, particularly with small dogs, barking intrudes on even the best of relationships. That said, most pet owners are skittish about behavior modification tools, such as collars. This is normal! We do not want to harm their dogs, physically, emotionally, or mentally.
Fortunately, there are several safe bark collars for small dogs on the market that do not harm the animal, are easy to use, and, most importantly, modify behavior to stop excessive barking.
No time? Here are the best.
Here is a summary of the best bark collars for small dogs as well as some tips on figuring out what collar works best for your pet.
Table of Contents
Pet Resolve Anti-Bark Training Collar
It is being polite to say that small dogs constantly barking is a pain in the neck. Distracting, jarring, and shrill, a small dog that barks incessantly annoys its caretaker, visitors, neighbors, and other pets. The Pet Resolve Anti Bark Training Collar addresses the barrage of pointless barking from the moment its anti-bark system is engaged.
- 🐾 FANTASTIC NEW UPGRADE SINCE MAY Is your dog misbehaving and you want a well behaved pet with minimal fuss? Don't let your dog get side-tracked by other animals or misbehave in public. Teach your canine companion how to act properly with arguably the top training collar on the market!
- 🐾 SUPER LONG RANGE AND MEMORY; Super long 3/4 Mile range
- 🐾 VARIABLE SHOCK & VIBRATION LEVELS, ANTI BARK & LIGHT for NIGHT MODE; train up to 3 dogs at once (additional collars required) with up to 10 levels of continuous or momentary shock (hold down button to shock for 1 up to 8 seconds, ideal for emergencies!) vibrations, or beeps
- 🐾 WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION; does your dog love to run outside or swim?Completely waterproof and can be fully submerged without damage!
- 🐾 LONG LASTING BATTERY & WARRANTY
The system works on the concept of increasing penalties for unwanted behavior. The receiver will issue a warning beep if the dark starts barking. If it continues for more than 2 seconds after the warning, a static shock is delivered.
The Pet Resolve anti bark collar shock and vibration have 10 levels of delivery, LED lighting for after-dark walking, and prongs of different lengths to work with all levels of fur. The system also allows for up to 3 receivers to be operated on one remote, which makes controlling multiple dogs much easier. The system is waterproof and backed by a 2-year warranty.
- Auto bark detection
- Durable construction
- Multiple prong lengths
- Reports of battery issues
- A lengthy replacement process if the warranty is used
PetSafe Remote Bark Training Collar
The key feature of this anti-bark collar is a lightweight, digital remote control that lets you effectively modify barking behavior without going over the top. It is perfect for smaller, timid dogs that bark because they view just about everything as threatening.
- OFF-LEASH TRAINING: Safely train and correct your dog’s unwanted behaviors the moment they happen within a 100-yard range using a lightweight digital remote and collar
- 3-IN-1 STIMULATION: Every dog is different – choose between audible tone, vibration and 15 levels of static for comfortable training (includes a safety lock feature for higher levels)
- PERFECT SIZE REMOTE: The digital remote is waterproof, easy to read, has tactile buttons and is comfortable to hold for long periods of time
- LONG LASTING BATTERY and QUICK CHARGING: Remote and collar charge within 2 hours, has up to a 40-hour battery life and includes a quick-charging cable
- WATERPROOF AND LIGHTWEIGHT COLLAR: The adjustable training collar is made of comfortable polyester that fits dogs 8 lb and up with neck sizes 6-23 in; not for puppies under 6 months
The PetSafe model also has dual channels for training more than one dog. It has a 600-yard range, making it perfect for training at:
- Dog parks
- People park
- Neighborhood walks
- In your home or backyard
This collar has a vibration, sound, and static shock (with 15 different shock levels to help dial in the most effective level for your pet.) The battery is also superb with over 40 hours of life with each charge (we found roughly this timing to be true, closer to 35) and a quick charge adapter is a standard feature.
In terms of functionality, the collar is waterproof and made of coated nylon for strength. This collar is rated for dogs up to 8 pounds. Small dog focus.
- 40-hour battery life is one of the best on the market
- Strong US-based customer support
- PetSafe’s reputation
- Collar is lightweight
- The collar is not suited for extremely small puppies
- Remote can be difficult to operate
TBI Professional Anti-Bark Collar with Dual Vibration
The TBI Professional Anti-Bark Collar with Dual Vibration does not use a shock to modify behavior. It has a combination approach of vibration and noise to prompt a dog to stop barking. It is ideal for smaller dogs as sometimes shocking a small dog can cause injury.
- 👍🏻 New advanced dog training collar & remote - Advanced design that assures control on longer distances (30% more than currently the best Electric shock dog collars). The ultra-durable,...
- 👍🏻 Easy training control with big LCD controller, Separate buttons and 4 modes - the perfect training tool for any dog. Take control of the vibrations or shocks with 1-100 levels intensity. Have...
- 👍🏻 long-lasting rechargeable battery and fully waterproof – li-ion battery with extra capacity, rated IP67 waterproof, This collar receiver works doesn’t need to be taken off when your dog...
- 👍🏻 SAVE time & money, get this dog training collar with remote instead of paying unneeded hourlies to dog trainers. Achieve the same, and in many cases better results - With the right...
- 👍🏻 one-year replacement guarantee - If you ever have any issue with your training shock collar, the manufacturer will provide a full replacement or refund. Click “buy it now” and enjoy...
The TBI approach takes a little more time but is just as effective.
You control the power of the vibration and loudness of the sound. The collar has a bark detector that activates before a dog starts barking, nipping it in the bud. The collar is water-resistant and works best on dogs smaller than 10 pounds.
It will not work well with dogs determined to bark or on very large dogs.
- No shock means no injuring the dog
- Two motors allow high-speed vibration
- Detects when a dog barks and when it is about to bark
- Runs up to 15 days with no charging needs
- No shock means it probably will not work on particular energetic barkers
Authen No Harm Bark Collar with Beep and Vibration Mode
Authen’s No Harm Bark Collar employs sound and vibration to control barking. It only uses static shock when a dog barks louder than 80 decibels. It only reacts to higher frequency barks as well, which ensures your dog is not penalized for other dogs’ barks.
- Bark collar for small dogs 5-15lbs with beep vibration without shock
- No shock bark collar dual vibration motor is stronger choose the gentle or strong vibration by the m button and adjustable 5 sensitivity leave can set by the power button
- Waterproof anti bark collar with rechargeable battery
- No bark collar will activates only when your dog barks other nearby dogs other sounds can not activate the collar
- Dog bark collar light weight for small dogs from 8 to 150 pounds with 2 reflective belt adjustable
The collar also has a unique feature that only activates the collar after 2 barks within 30 seconds.
The No Harm Bark Collar is waterproof. Its battery lasts about 12 days and takes 2 hours to recharge. Best of all, it is a safe, harmless way to reinforce to your dog that inappropriate barking is not acceptable.
- Tiered response to barking, including a delayed activation based on number of barks
- Will not trigger when other dogs bark
- Two microprocessor functions that anticipate when a dog will bark and activate
- The shock part of the collar malfunctions occasionally. We saw it not always seem to deliver the correction. Could be a long hair issue with a doodle coat?
Tips for Picking the Perfect Small Dog Anti-Bark Training Collar
Before making any anti-barking collar purchases, make sure what you choose covers what you need. Here is some advice to help you pick the best collar for your small dog.
Not all anti-bark collars work with smaller dogs. Before buying, verify the collar you pick is rated to work with medium to small dogs or exclusively with small dogs.
Multiple Correction Levels
Succeeding levels of punishment for inappropriate barking prevents your pet from becoming used to one static level of punishment.
You want the collar to warn your dog and allow them to self-correct. Once your dog is used to the system, it may require only the beep to stop any barking.
Depending on how often your dog needs correcting, the batteries in your shock collar can drain quickly. It is expensive to have to replace batteries all the time. That makes rechargeable batteries indispensable.
When walking your dog at night, a light around their neck is helpful, even if the range of the light is limited.
Avoid Standby Mode
Standby requires “ramp up,” which can mean the collar is inoperable when the dog is barking and operable after they stop barking. You want correction while the activity is occurring for it to be the most effective.
Your dog runs through wet grass, puddles, streams if you live in the country and all of it adds up to their collar becoming drenched. None of that includes getting caught in a downpour while you are out walking your pet. An anti-bark collar that is not waterproof is asking for trouble.
Make sure your anti-bark collar is waterproof.
Remote control is vital, especially as you train your dog not to bark unnecessarily. It gives the pet a little space to roam but lets you control bad behavior. You also can override the punitive function when it is appropriate.
A small dog that barks excessively is highly annoying and disruptive. Anti-bark collars teach your pet to bark sparingly. You want a collar that will teach your dog without hurting them mentally, emotionally, or physically.
Additionally, a collar that does not break the bank is helpful.
Any bark collar for small dogs covered in this list will provide you with what you need. Every model is reliable, consistent corrective actions that help modify your dog’s behavior without going too far.