When it comes to training your dog, crate training is one of the most natural and effective training methods for any dog breed. One of the major concerns for pet owners is keeping their furry friend hydrated during crate training.
On the one hand, your dog needs access to clean, fresh, cool water at all times. However, you do not want your dog to overhydrate and wind up having an accident in their crate. This is where “hamster” style water bottles become a great option.
Your dog requires water throughout the day in order to remain hydrated and healthy. Dogs who are trained using a crate often make a mess when there is a water bowl in the crate with them. Water bottles are a great, clean solution for the crate-trained dog.
If you are looking for a water bottle for your dog’s crate, you need to look for a specific size and nozzle water bottle. Traditional “hamster” water bottles may not release water quickly enough for your pet.
We have taken the time to find the top five suggested water bottles for dogs. Read our reviews to see what you need to understand before making your selection. Our review of the five best dog water bottles will cover everything you need to know to make the best purchase for your pup.
The Five Best Hamster Water Bottles For Dogs
There are hundreds of water bottle choices for dog crates that can be found online. Although there are a lot of good options, it can be overwhelming to sift through all of those options. We have taken the guesswork out of your water bottle search.
Each of these water bottles serves a different purpose for your dog crate needs. Whether you are looking for a crate bottle for a large or small breed dog, we have a full review to help you make an informed decision today. (If you are looking for a larger dog water fountain see this post)
- Why Choco Nose No Drip Water Bottle: Are You Tired of Changing The Wet Bedding For Your Pet's Wet Cage? Our U.S. Patented Leak-proof Nozzle Can Prevent or Reduce Leakage Effectively. Providing a Dry and Clean Living Area For Your Beloved Pets. BPA Free/ 11.2 oz Capacity
- This Small-sized nozzle (13mm) Is Recommended for Rabbit, Chinchilla, Cat, Toy Breed Sized Dog or Puppy: Shih Tzu, Boston Terrier, Pug, Maltese, Pomeranian, Yorkshire Terrier, Chiweenie, etc
- This Water Bottle Is NOT Recommended for Mini-Sized Pet, Such as Hamster, Guinea Pig, Hedgehog, Ferret, Rat. Please Check Our Store For Other Small Pet Animal Water Bottles
- Durable User-friendly Screw-on Bracket: Simple and Easy Installation. You Can Easily Snap the Water Bottle On or Off for Cleaning and Refilling water. Nail-on Bracket: It May Also Be Nailed To The Wall or Wooden Furniture with Screws. Eco-idea: Pet Parent Can Switch Our Bottle to Most Regular Sized PET Bottles (Soda Bottle, Smart Water)
- Very Important Instruction: Please Check the Water Bottle Daily and After Every Refill by Tapping the Metal Ball at the Nozzle Tip to Ensure Water Comes Out Properly. The Water Bottle is Ready to Use when Air Bubbles occur when you Tap the Metal Ball.
The Choco brand is well known for providing high-quality pet supplies that take care of your pet’s needs. The Choco Nose no-drip water bottle is best suited for small dogs or puppies. Larger water bottles require a lot of force to get water to drip out, and this water bottle is made for small animals who are unable to use power to get water out.
If you have a small breed dog, such as a toy breed, or tiny puppies, this bottle is for you. The bottle is small enough to attach to a small dog crate, and it holds 11 oz of water. The nozzle is 13mm, which makes it perfect for small breed dogs or puppies.
- No drip dog water bottle has a patented valve with ball tip
- Comes in 44-ounce capacity (Assorted Colors).
- Flip top lid for easy filling and ideal for travel cages
- The bottle is flat on two sides so it can be mounted inside or outside of a crate
- Clamp mounts on two positions on the bottle for greater height adjustment ability
If you are looking for a suitable water bottle for mid-large-sized dogs, then the Lixit Top-fill water bottle is an excellent choice. Whether you have a beagle or a German Shepherd, the Lixit Top-Fill Water Bottle is built for larger breed dogs.
The nozzle on this water bottle is constructed of stainless steel to ensure durability and withstand larger forces. This bottle is flat on both sides for versatility! You can mount the water bottle on the inside or outside of your dog’s crate. But the very best feature of this water bottle is that you can refill the bottle from the top! There is no need to dismount the bottle before refilling it.
- Suitable for small and medium-sized dog. The capable is 300 ML.
- The design of dual-use, bar type ball bottle can be used in a cage, when going out it can be hanged on the protruding board (thickness is less than 0.3 inches).
- Pipe section of the ball and mouth part is steel, not rusting, ensure their healthy body.
- New environmental protection material does not have a pungent odor, simple sense is good, not leak.
- The product can effectively avoid the insect dust pollution of drinking water, and can effectively prevent the long beard dog mouth wet hair.
The Nacoco water bottle is targeted at small-medium-sized dogs. This water bottle holds 300 ML of water at a time and has a low-force nozzle so that small dogs can get water out of the bottle. This is a great option for an indoor space because this bottle is not able to maintain a cool temperature for your dog.
The Nacoco water bottle hooks directly onto your dog’s crate from the inside. While it is an excellent option for calm dogs, this could present a problem for dogs who tend to chew on things during the day. The water bottle is easy to clean and repels dust from getting into the water.
- EASY TO MOUNT WATER FEEDER: Designed to quickly & easily mount onto the side of your pet cage or dog kennel using a turnable “fixer “ wheel, this water feeder makes it easy to care for your precious pooch or kitty.
- QUICK, EASY TO REFILL BOTTLE: Unlike the average water feeder for dogs & cats, this one comes with a bottle that couldn't be easier to fill. All you have to do is turn it over, unscrew the top, fill with water & then re-screw.
- KEEPS PETS HAPPY & HYDRATED: Make sure your pet is happy & hydrated while you're away with the reusable Poodle Pet kennel water feeder! It allows you to provide water for your kenneled dog without the wet messes.
- GREAT CHOICE FOR DOG KENNEL: Since it never drips unless your pet taps the tip with his or her tongue, this unique gravity kennel water dispenser ensures your pal can safely drink whenever he or she is thirsty.
- BEST AFFORDABLE PET SUPPLIES: We here at Poodle Pet make it our top priority to provide high quality cat & dog supplies pet owners can depend on. This dog water gravity dispenser is one of our bestsellers!
The poodle pet water feeder is another excellent option for small to medium-sized dogs. The Poodle Pet has significantly less metal and stainless steel construction than other water bottles making it less durable. This water bottle has a unique design that is unlike many of the alternatives on the market.
The Poodle Pet utilizes a mounting feature that they call the “turntable mounting wheel.” This wheel is fixed to the dog crate, and then the water bottle easily pops into or out of the fixated wheel. This allows pet owners to dismount the bottle for refills and cleaning quickly.
- Why Choco Nose Water Bottle? Are You Tired of Changing the Wet Bedding for Your Pet Cage? This Is The Best Small Pet Water Bottle For Your Beloved Pets. Providing A Wet-Free and Mess-Free Living Area For Your Furry Kids Is Very Essential. Choco Nose U.S. Patented Leakproof Nozzle Can Prevent Water Leakage Effectively. Our Innovative Design Allows Your Pets to Enjoy Clean and Fresh Water While Keeping Your Home Clean and Dry.
- Mini-Sized Nozzle (10mm) is recommended for Guinea Pig, Ferret, Hamster, Bunny. / Made of BPA Free Material/ 11.2 oz Capacity
- User Friendly Screw-on bracket: Simple and Easy Installation. You can easily snap the water bottle on or off for cleaning and refilling water.
- Nail-on bracket: It may also be nailed to the wall or wooden furniture with screws. Eco-Idea: Pet owner can switch our bottle to most regular sized PET bottles (Soda Bottle).
- Important Instruction: Please check the water bottle daily and after every refill by tapping the metal ball inside the nozzle to ensure water coms out. The water bottle is ready to use when air bubbles occur as you tap the metal ball.
This water bottle is made for really tiny animals. Puppies who are barely beginning to drink water or small dogs like chihuahua breeds are perfect for this water bottle. It has an extremely sensitive nozzle, so larger breed dogs might tear the bottle up to get enough water from the nozzle.
What to Consider Before You Buying a Hamster Water Bottle for a Dog
Before you buy your dog a water bottle for their crate, you need to consider several essential factors. We have outlined those factors for you to make your buying decision easy.
You may have noticed that these water bottle choices are not a “one size fits all” solution for dog crate water bottles. Smaller dogs require a much different water bottle than larger breeds do. You may also consider the tendency of your dog’s breed to chew on items inside of their crate. There are many different factors from your dog’s size and species that can affect your dog’s water bottle.
Smaller breeds require more sensitive nozzles than larger breeds. They also need less water throughout the day than larger breed dogs require. Depending on the length of time that the dog is inside of the crate, you may need a much larger capacity on your dog’s water bottle.
Material of Water Bottle
Finding an environmentally safe water bottle for your dog is much easier now than ever before. You will need to make sure that your dog’s water bottle is constructed of BPA-free plastic, stainless steel, and occasionally ceramic.
Although stainless steel and ceramic water bottles are often more expensive than bottles constructed mainly of BPA-free plastic, they are also harder to chew through. Remember that puppies and dogs who like to chew can quickly destroy their water bottle in minutes. If you know this might be an issue for your dog, it might be a good idea to purchase a more durable water bottle proactively.
Design of the Water Bottle
It would be easy to purchase the water bottle that was the most aesthetically pleasing choice. However, many other factors should be considered when choosing which water bottle to buy.
Durability is an essential concern for many dog owners. This water bottle will likely be handled daily, so you will need to ensure that it can be mounted and dismounted easily from the dog crate multiple times per day. We already recommended more substantial materials if your dog likes to chew, but that seems like a good thing to repeat.
You will need to regularly clean your dog’s water bottle and ensure that it is refilled frequently. Cleaning the water bottle also requires dismantling it. Some water bottles can be tough to clean, so it is essential to consider this before choosing which water bottle you want to attach to your pup’s cage.
You might also want to consider the area where you will be crating your pet. If you are crating your pet indoors, they will likely need less water than if they were crated in a sweltering area. Heat can cause your dog to need a much larger amount of water than usual. It is a good idea to crate your dog in dry, cool areas, especially if you are not around to provide cool water routinely.
It is not recommended to crate your dog outdoors. However, if you decide to do so, you will need to determine how you will provide your pet with cool water at all times. In this case, you might want to choose a stainless steel water bottle that can keep water cool in outdoor temperatures.
Water bottles are actually much easier to maintain than the water bowl. When a dog drinks from a water bowl, they introduce all kinds of debris into the water. Water bowls also struggle to maintain cool water temperatures which is not an issue with some water bottle choices.
When your dog is staying in its crate, keeping the crate clean is important. No-drip nozzles provide protection from the dog crate becoming a mess during the day. If you have any experience in crate training, then you will be aware that your dog’s crate should be clean and tidy in order for it to be pleasant for them.